Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 College Football Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well this has been the most enjoyable game of the year so far to watch.

That was wild. Haven't watched a game like that for years. You'd have to think Clemson would win with a healthy Lawrence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was worth staying up for.

Great game and some celebrations at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not sure I'd be too comfortable about the celebrations at the end, but that was a great win. Long overdue that nd did the business against a big time opponent. The Lawrence situation obviously changes things but it wasn't like Clemson didn't have a seriously good back performance at qb. That was a win worth remembering and should put them to no 1. Bet there'll be some reason not to of course.

Agree on the celebrations, got to imagine they won't be allowing any fans for the next few home games after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Will the Irish go number 1 after that is the question and how far do Clemson fall?
    Obviously they'll likely face Notre Dame again in the ACC Championship game.

eagle eye wrote:
    Will the Irish go number 1 after that is the question and how far do Clemson fall? Obviously they'll likely face Notre Dame again in the ACC Championship game.

Without Lawrence and losing in double ot to the #4 ranked team, i could see them drop to #3 with ND rising to #2.

It would be great to see them face off again later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Without Lawrence and losing in double ot to the #4 ranked team, i could see them drop to #3 with ND rising to #2.

It would be great to see them face off again later in the year.

Alabama are number 1, but I'm not sure why, I know they are 6-0, but last Saturday week they beat a team 41-0, and the opposition quarterback was probably the worst I have ever seen, Mississippi State he was playing for, and I didn't check this but it said that he threw for 602 yards against LSU, if thats true, I have no idea how it happened and they must be complete rubbish. I can't rank anyone because I hardly ever watch it, but the Clemson Notre Dame game was amazing. Some drive at the end to tie it at 33 each.

Alabama are number 1, but I'm not sure why, I know they are 6-0, but last Saturday week they beat a team 41-0, and the opposition quarterback was probably the worst I have ever seen, Mississippi State he was playing for, and I didn't check this but it said that he threw for 602 yards against LSU, if thats true, I have no idea how it happened and they must be complete rubbish. I can't rank anyone because I hardly ever watch it, but the Clemson Notre Dame game was amazing. Some drive at the end to tie it at 33 each.

I can understand it, Clemson losing meant they had to lose their spot, while ND's victory, even though it was a great game, has the asterisk beside it because Lawrence was out. So it makes sense. And Alabama's result against Georgia was of course very impressive as well.

BUT.

Does anyone seriously believe that if a no.3 ranked Bama or Ohio State had just beaten a no.1 Clemson, that they wouldn't have been placed number 1 themselves, regardless of who the QB was? Yeah I didn't think so either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Notre Dame v Boston College live on YouTube if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Notre Dame v Boston College live on YouTube if anyone's interested.
    Watched it up to the touchdown just before the half, might be a good game if Boston College would bother tackling anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Devonta Smith, WR for Alabama, is putting up some crazy numbers this year. He has 219 yards receiving against LSU tonight and it's not even half time. Some of the standout yardage he's had this season:

219 vs LSU (and counting)
    171 vs Auburn
    144 vs Kentucky
    203 vs Mississippi State
    167 vs Georgia
    164 vs Ole Miss

Yeah it's insane what he's doing. He'll get a first rounder next year. Unreal when you think of the Alabama receivers that have came into the NFL like Julio Jones, Amari Cooper and Calvin Ridley and this year you have the two rookies Jeudy and Ruggs.

Can't get over how little talk of CFB there is this year! I know the schedule is so screwy that it is hard to know how to feel about the rankings etc, but still...

Either way ND playing Clemson this weekend is shaping up to be fun, I'm really glad ND have joined the ACC this year. Not sure how I feel about them staying in it permanently given most teams in it are awful but annual Clemson games would be great.

Anyway obviously for a lot of people their previous win in this match-up has a big asterisk beside it so i expect them to be fired up coming into the game, as will Clemson. Both teams have been playing a lot of poor opposition since then so it's hard to read the form lines, but I'm quietly confident ND can get an upset here.

It's impossible to predict how that game will go. Lots of good signs for the Irish, I think Ian Book is playing the best football he has ever played. He is so smart, football IQ that is, and has continued to learn and become a better reader and decision maker.
    Irish D is top class too.

I don't think Clemson are as strong this season as last. They are still a powerhouse though and if their offense clicks into top gear it will be hard to stay with them.

Can't get over how little talk of CFB there is this year! I know the schedule is so screwy that it is hard to know how to feel about the rankings etc, but still...

Either way ND playing Clemson this weekend is shaping up to be fun, I'm really glad ND have joined the ACC this year. Not sure how I feel about them staying in it permanently given most teams in it are awful but annual Clemson games would be great.

Anyway obviously for a lot of people their previous win in this match-up has a big asterisk beside it so i expect them to be fired up coming into the game, as will Clemson. Both teams have been playing a lot of poor opposition since then so it's hard to read the form lines, but I'm quietly confident ND can get an upset here.

This is why I'm not a gambling man. What a stomping. I hope this pushes them out of the playoffs because I can see the same result against alabama or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Playoffs rigged again I see lol.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Playoffs rigged again I see lol.

Excluding Texas a and m is fairly ridiculous to be fair, it would be one thing if they lost it barely to another team, but there's TWO teams in the playoffs not as strong as them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wearing my ETSU Bucaneers t-shirt I got for Christmas, go Bucs! :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Pretty disgusted they moved the rose bowl just to get a few fans in, kind of a betrayal of history there. Also have no optimism about ND being competitive and don't really think they should have made the top four after the last game.

Still, whatever, Go Irish! really hope they put it up to them and make it competitive, would be cool if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Pretty disgusted they moved the rose bowl just to get a few fans in, kind of a betrayal of history there.
    Its a ban on contact sports in many areas of California, nothing to do with fans.

MaddChris wrote: »
    Its a ban on contact sports in many areas of California, nothing to do with fans.

You're wrong, they could have played with no fans. The Tournament of Roses wanted to be able to bring in fans and twice that petition was rejected, and then they moved it to Texas. Brian Kelly threatened to boycott the game if it was in Pasadena because it would mean family members of players couldn't attend. UCLA and Stanford played there a week and a half ago. The Rams will play down the road in sofi this weekend. You're mixing it up with Santa Clara where they did stop games entirely.

Game has gone more or less how it was expected, Alabama have scored when they felt like it and ND haven't been able to get anything going. It's been a dull illustration of why we shouldn't have had a playoff spot.

Where can I watch highlights of the second game last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Where can I watch highlights of the second game last night?

Google gave it to me on the ESPN YouTube earlier,10 minutes or so only.

Interesting result, I doubted if Ohio could match Clemson given they had so little football played, but they blew them away in that 2nd quarter. Fields had a field day (sorry).
    Bama's final to lose?

Devonta Smith, WR for Alabama, is putting up some crazy numbers this year. He has 219 yards receiving against LSU tonight and it's not even half time. Some of the standout yardage he's had this season:

219 vs LSU (and counting)
    171 vs Auburn
    144 vs Kentucky
    203 vs Mississippi State
    167 vs Georgia
    164 vs Ole Miss

Heisman trophy winning numbers

And the athletic ability and skills of the man behind the numbers are unreal, but just to be controversial for a second, how many of those games were against absolute stiffs, and how was Kyle Trask in the voting considering he couldn't beat LSU, and even though the nominations are made before the bowl games, Florida were thumped by Oklahoma. Any opinions on Spencer Rattler of the Sooners, Junior Patrick Mahomes?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Who else is up for the final tonight. I think Alabama will be hard stopped with that offense. If Jaylen Waddle is healthy they'll put up 40 or more I think.
    Question marks over the health of Justin Fields too which is not good for the Buckeyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'm a bit worn out with those 6 NFL game but I'll watch the first half of this. I love the razzmatazz of the CFB final, it's like a mini Super bowl.

• Advertisement

hoping for a competitive game please.

Last game I watched over the weekend was the Bears v Saints and it knocked my enthusiasm a bit!

Advertisement