Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immerson Wiring

Options
  • 25-08-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new immersion switch to replace a faulty one. The connectors are slightly different...theres no COM on the new switch. Before L Out was connected to COM...what should I wire L Out to on this switch. Also what the 20/250 terminal bottom left for?

Heres a pic of the new switch

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Effectively it’s two switches. The L out needs to be looped to the bottom left terminal of the other switch which selects bath or sink. The loop should be done with some 2.5mm sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Griffinx wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a new immersion switch to replace a faulty one. The connectors are slightly different...theres no COM on the new switch. Before L Out was connected to COM...what should I wire L Out to on this switch. Also what the 20/250 terminal bottom left for?

Heres a pic of the new switch

Thanks

Get an electrician dude.
    It's fairly straightforward, if you know what you're doing.

No offence to you personally but it has potential to shock/kill/start fire if not done correctly. Ask in elec wholesaler for name of someone to stick it in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Get an electrician dude.

No offence to you personally but it has potential to shock/kill/start fire if not done correctly. Ask in elec wholesaler for name of someone to stick it in for you.

100 % Totally agree with you.
    With respect to the o.p., but If someone has to ask these type of questions it shows their lack of electrical knowledge and know-how and they should instead be leaving it to a qualified electrician to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Get an electrician dude.

I didn't ask for a lecture, just information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Knock yourself out so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I felt I was not condescending.
    Information is get someone who knows what they're doing or go ahead and risk claiming a Darwin award.

Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Some good information is to get a Registered Electrical Contractor out to do this. They will understand how to fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Live and neutral from supply go to the two marked bottom right terminals.

Neutral top right takes the neutral connection from the immersion.

Next to the neutral out is the live out this is connected to the com terminal at the bottom left.

The the live out for the sink and bath are taken off at the top left as indicate on the switch.

So when switched on the main switch energizes the COM connection so the now live COM connection can be switched between sink or bath. The reason for the supply and out markings is because of the neon indicator use them the other way around and the neon would never go off.

OK surprised no one picked me up on that but I was WRONG

What was wrong was I automatically without thinking about it switched the Live connection. That doesn't work for a dual immersion because they have a common live and the neutral is switched.

Neutral top right takes the neutral connection from the immersion is looped to the COM at the bottom left.

Next to the neutral out is the live out this is connected to the com terminal at the bottom left this is the live supply to the immersion.

The the live out for switched neutral for the sink and bath are taken off at the top left as indicate on the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

or go ahead and risk claiming a Darwin award.

We all risk claiming one of those every day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

my3cents wrote: »

Next to the neutral out is the live out this is connected to the com terminal at the bottom left.

The the live out for the sink and bath are taken off at the top left as indicate on the switch.

So when switched on the main switch energizes the COM connection so the now live COM connection can be switched between sink or bath. The reason for the supply and out markings is because of the neon indicator use them the other way around and the neon would never go off.

What was wrong was I automatically without thinking about it switched the Live connection. That doesn't work for a dual immersion because they have a common live and the neutral is switched.

Neutral top right takes the neutral connection from the immersion is looped to the COM at the bottom left.

Next to the neutral out is the live out this is connected to the com terminal at the bottom left this is the live supply to the immersion.

The the live out for switched neutral for the sink and bath are taken off at the top left as indicate on the switch.

Not correct. Whilst the neutral will be switched inside the immersion (as an appliance essentially), to have single pole switching on the neutral pole of the switch would be a very, very serious breach of the Wiring Rules. Single pole switching must only ever be in the phase conductor.

Anyhow, it is clear that the OP doesn't know what he is doing and must not attempt this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭bmc58

Get an electrician dude.

Don't mess with electricity in your home.Get a registered electrician,probably cost you€50 but it's well spent for peace of mind.

You were more right the first time.

Bruthal wrote: »
    You were more right the first time.

Its an interesting logic problem but you have to actually draw it out or try it with a typical Irish dual immersion to see whats possible and what isn't.

The logic issue is that you only have 3 wires plus earth to work with.

Its an interesting logic problem but you have to actually draw it out or try it with a typical Irish dual immersion to see whats possible and what isn't.

The logic issue is that you only have 3 wires plus earth to work with.
    When drawn out it can be seen that it's possible to get it wrong and bypass the stat.which Is not good. So it is important the person knows what they are at.

When drawn out it can be seen that it's possible to get it wrong and bypass the stat.which Is not good. So it is important the person knows what they are at.

Checked my own and its switched live :o

The thermostat and thermal cutout switch the neutral when you'd expect them to switch the live but can't because they are shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The thermostat and thermal cutout switch the neutral when you'd expect them to switch the live but can't because they are shared.

Yup, always been like that. Only exception you would see is on a single element, then live goes through the stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭bmc58

Cop on Gr.Don't mess with electrics for the sake of a few Euro if you don't know what youre at.You asked for advice and you got sensible advice.Pay a few Euro for a qualified person and sleep safe.

The earlier mentioned example about being possible to bypass the stat with incorrectly connected immersion flex, if L is connected to brown and N to black in the flex, the 3kw bath and 2kw sink are now in series, with the stat out of the circuit.

Its less likely now as blue is N in flex and most will connect it as such, but anything is possible with diy jobs. Years ago blue was one of the Lives to the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Speaking of immersion switches;
    Thought I'd share some money and time saving details;
    I've fitted a TimeGuard immersion switch to govern the flow of power to my already fitted dual element immersion switch;
    Saves me time not having to go back upstairs to turn it off aswell as not having to remember to turn it off atall;
    I've also fitted a plug in version to the clothes iron but that's a separate thread altogether lol
    Link to supplier https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/heatingventilation/heatersradiators/timeclocksheatcontrols/13atimeguardtgbt4boostmaster2hourelectronicboostti
    Picture attached below

A good way to do it now in terms of controlling the immersion, is a sonoff relay. And 20 amp contactor.

• Advertisement

A good way to do it now in terms of controlling the immersion, is a sonoff relay. And 20 amp contactor.

Sorry I misread your post lol sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LenWoods wrote: »
    Speaking of immersion switches;
    Thought I'd share some money and time saving details;
    I've fitted a TimeGuard immersion switch to govern the flow of power to my already fitted dual element immersion switch;
    Saves me time not having to go back upstairs to turn it off aswell as not having to remember to turn it off atall;

The problem with that type of switch is that it only gives you the boost function, at the expense of having a fully programmable timer. You can have both.

For example, this Sangamo model gives you three timer (on/off) programs plus a boost function. You simply press the Boost buttom 1-3 times for 30m/1 hr/2hrs boost.

https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collections/immersion-controllers/products/powersaver-select?variant=41545698502

But for the true couch potato, nothing beats this guy which I have installed, the Timeguard Wi-Fi timer. You control it from the mobile app and it includes a one-hour boost button. It connects to your house wi-fi and you can control it from anywhwere via the app.

https://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

coylemj wrote: »
    The problem with that type of switch is that it only gives you the boost function, at the expense of having a fully programmable timer. You can have both.

For example, this Sangamo model gives you three timer (on/off) programs plus a boost function. You simply press the Boost buttom 1-3 times for 30m/1 hr/2hrs boost.

https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collections/immersion-controllers/products/powersaver-select?variant=41545698502

But for the true couch potato, nothing beats this guy which I have installed, the Timeguard Wi-Fi timer. You control it from the mobile app and it includes a one-hour boost button......

https://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

The wifi model was still in development when I bought mine,
    I'm not a fan of the time clock model because; if I got hit by a bus on my way home from work to wash the disches; the immersion will still heat the water which I wouldn't be running for atleast a week,
    So I'm lying in the ambulance thinking how I cant go to work tomorrow or pay the mortgage then I remember the immersion is on a time clock ah no... :eek: as if it couldn't have gotten any worse there goes the electricity bill aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

The boost option is a great addition to any immersion control. Even if the immersion was left switched on constantly the thermostat will still cut off the power when the cylinder is up to temperature so worst case if one is away from the house is a daily loss of ~ 3/4 kwh, say 70 cent/day, which, while undesirable, will not break the bank.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

worst case if one is away from the house is a daily loss of ~ 3/4 kwh, say 70 cent/day, which, while undesirable, will not break the bank.

That is going to depend on a few factors such as the quality of the installation of the tank and what the stat set point is.

Example: Keeping a very large poorly insulated tank to 70 degrees could cost a lot more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to add: The Sonoff TH16 devices have a configurable boost timer function available.

2011 wrote: »
    That is going to depend on a few factors such as the quality of the installation of the tank and what the stat set point is.

Example: Keeping a very large poorly insulated tank to 70 degrees could cost a lot more.

Yes, of course, but I would say that the days of the loosely fitted lagging jacket are mostly in the past and a loss of 0.4C to 0.8C/hr, depending on insulation thickness and cylinder size, is reasonable to assume. I have attached a calculation which I think came/comes from the SEAI and which I've edited to give the temperature loss/hour.

For info only, here's one, (mine) installed in 1972 and still working perfectly, only a on/off switch, with the sink/bath c/o switch not very conveniently located on top of the immersion, it has two (contact type) thermostats, one set at 60c & the other, I think, at 80C for the bath. How times have changed, for the better, in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Qelres.

Immersion heaters must be the worst electrical appliance ever.

More problems than you can shake a stick at

I also don't get the current obsession with smart control of same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Qelres. wrote: »
    I also don't get the current obsession with smart control of same

It helps make them a little less terrible.

Advertisement