Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Qantas to run test flights on world's longest route

Options
  • 25-08-2019 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49430711

Qantas will run test services of its planned 19-hour flights to determine whether passengers and crew can withstand the marathon journeys.

The airline wants to operate non-stop services from Sydney to London and New York by as soon as 2022.

If launched, the services would be the world's longest direct flights.

The trial flights will begin later this year, each carrying up to 40 passengers who will have their health monitored on the journey.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said direct flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York represented the "final frontier in aviation".

The airline said non-stop flights from New York and London to Sydney would take about 19 hours each, subject to wind and weather conditions.

It will conduct three test flights and participants - made up of crew and Qantas employees - will be fitted with wearable technology devices.

Sleep patterns, along with food and beverage consumption, will be tracked to determine the impact on health and the body clock.

The flights will run on Boeing 787-9s. The airline said it would make a decision on whether to start the flights by the end of the year.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You will always get someone that wants to do depending on the price point.

Would love to know the loads on the PER-LHR route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Singapore - Newark is 18hrs 45, suerly you just ask them how they're feeling rather than doing test flights for the extra 15mns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Blut2

Very interesting and positive to see from a technological capability but point of view. But the thought of spending 19 hours+ in an economy seat, surrounded by 200 other economy passengers in close comfort, is pretty horrifying.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Very interesting and positive to see from a technological capability but point of view. But the thought of spending 19 hours+ in an economy seat, surrounded by 200 other economy passengers in close comfort, is pretty horrifying.

Indeed. I'd rather swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Singapore Newark does not fly with economy, premium economy or business only. Used to be a A340 business only config, its s A350 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Singapore Newark does not fly with economy, premium economy or business only. Used to be a A340 business only config, its s A350 now

on the a350 its premium economy or business only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

London Perth is 16hr 45 min 15000 km .

London Sydney 17000km wo so prob around 19+ hours as said above, eek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

DOH to AKL is the longest I've done in one leg and refused to go if it was economy! (which there is on those flights, poor sods that have to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Give me a 2 or 3 hour stopover any day.

I believe the seats on a 787 aren't the widest either.

Sounds horrendous and God help you if you have some gobs***te in close proximity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Blut2 wrote: »

Got a cheap bump up to Virgin Atlantic business class once for a 12 hour flight and oh my god I got a shock at just how comfortable it was to fly with proper food, space, and comfort. Even a bar!

I think I could manage a 19 hour flight with good business. But in economy I'd crack up.

Should be nothing less than premium economy on these flights tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

DOH-AKL was over 18 hours and I was fine in business. Being able to stretch out and lie flat makes all the difference. Longest economy I’ve done is DXB-SYD and while that one on its own was just about bearable, the DXB-DUB leg after nearly killed me (and me nearly killed anyone anywhere near me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

BigMoose wrote: »
    DOH-AKL was over 18 hours and I was fine in business. Being able to stretch out and lie flat makes all the difference. Longest economy I’ve done is DXB-SYD and while that one on its own was just about bearable, the DXB-DUB leg after nearly killed me (and me nearly killed anyone anywhere near me!)

Did those flights myself. The DXB-DUB was horrendous. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Did those flights myself. The DXB-DUB was horrendous. Never again.

Totally agree. I now layover in Dubai when I'm doing that sort of hop.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement