Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

VCB putting the hammer down in the 4 Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

daragh_ wrote: »
    VCB putting the hammer down in the 4 Man.

A great bunch of lads who have worked very hard to prepare for this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

What time did the Balrothery lads start, they look to be going well?

Theres a handy leaderboard here which will give you an idea of the times

https://racearoundireland.com/standings

VCB's estimated finish time is 67:43 which would be very good - but it's early days. Lot's of hard roads still to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

They’ve been well ahead of their own estimates from the get go so it’s looking very positive.

VCB still going really well in the 4 man category. I reckon they'll hit Galway at rush hour - which is a total pain when you are trying to stay near your follow car.

They'll be doing the bit down to Spanish Point and inland to Limerick in the dark. The fatigue really kicks in soon - for riders and crew.

I'm totally jealous :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any boardsies on the VCB team as I know they've a few members here?

Weepsie wrote: »

Koutoubia is on the crew. Not sure if RobFowl is on the crew also.

• Advertisement

VCB still going really well in the 4 man category. I reckon they'll hit Galway at rush hour - which is a total pain when you are trying to stay near your follow car.

It will be a while before they get there by the looks of it so should be ok traffic-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

They'll be doing the bit down to Spanish Point and inland to Limerick in the dark. The fatigue really kicks in soon - for riders and crew.

I'm totally jealous :D

You dont have to be near your follow car at all, its daylight hours.

miller_63 wrote: »
    You dont have to be near your follow car at all, its daylight hours.

Greater chance of getting lost though if the car is not close by and the radio can be dodgy.

That part of the country, approaching Maam cross, is a horrible bit of road. It's bad enough in the car, never mind on the bike.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Greater chance of getting lost though if the car is not close by and the radio can be dodgy.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Routes are easily found and applied to garmin devices.

Christ, you're harsh. Mistakes can and do happen. Particularly if there is heavy traffic and a rider is in an unfamiliar place.

Weepsie wrote: »

I’m heading down tomorrow to help out until the finish line so I’ll pump out a few updates if possible.

Christ, you're harsh. Mistakes can and do happen. Particularly if there is heavy traffic and a rider is in an unfamiliar place.

100%. Navigating with a Garmin is fine but it's much better to have the car with you. One wrong turn can cost you a lead as many very well prepared teams have discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

Not to mention that the published GPX is wrong around Galway (as well as around the Dark Hedges). They announced the former at the briefing but a fatigued rider could still forget to compensate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

100%. Navigating with a Garmin is fine but it's much better to have the car with you. One wrong turn can cost you a lead as many very well prepared teams have discovered.

This is bringing back memories of being sent the wrong way for 25k...

• Advertisement

Its only harsh if your not taking it seriously though!

VCB are unlikely to be caught in the 4 man now. Great job by them.

Just checking there myself and agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

We got separated from our cyclist in Killarney a few years ago. He had the file on his garmin but the file missed a roundabout so he took the wrong turn and ended up going for miles before someone could find him.

Seems to be a good race between the two 8-man teams.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Met with the Make-A-Wish crew yesterday as I'd know a few of them. It was very muggy, no wind which helped the riders. Roads were mad busy though. With lack of sleep and tiredness its easy to see how they might make a mistake or take a wrong turn.

One for the bucket list. The solo guys are just machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Very poor turnout in the 4 person team category this year... only 4 teams. There was eleven teams two years ago.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Very poor turnout in the 4 person team category this year... only 4 teams. There was eleven teams two years ago.

2017? There were 9 as far as I remember.

We would be doing it again but it's a big time commitment for riders and crew. Not to mention the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

2017? There were 9 as far as I remember.

We would be doing it again but it's a big time commitment for riders and crew. Not to mention the costs.
    Definitely eleven teams in 2017... big commitment in every way for sure.

I was surprised too, but there is a definite lack of interest here for it and a decrease in the interest in cycling (IMHO) generally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I was surprised too, but there is a definite lack of interest here for it and a decrease in the interest in cycling (IMHO) generally?

It's an incredible tough race, and probably very expensive

Advertisement