Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Pride

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Ironicname wrote: »
    What gives you the right to tell a straight person that they can't be proud of their sexuality?

This isn't about me telling you Not to be proud of your sexuality. I couldn't give a ****e what you are.

If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,” being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What gives you the right to tell a straight person that they can't be proud of their sexuality?

I have to echo this question. I don't presume to tell anyone what they can and can't be proud of. But I wouldn't entertain the notion of anyone telling me what I can and can't be proud of about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Wheety wrote:
    Are you missing the point of gay pride again? It's not literally only about being proud of being gay. It's about not having to hide who they are and acceptance by others. It's still a huge issue for most gay people to admit they're gay. To themselves, and others. We're not quite there yet, as a society.

Where would you like to be? We have a gay head of state, gay marriage is legal, there are equality laws.

Sure, some people might still balk at the idea of two men or two women having sex, but that's their prerogative. You can't force people to be comfortable with it.

Wheety wrote:
    Why would a straight person be proud to be straight? You said yourself that most people are straight.

I have no idea. But if they are, good for them.
    CosmicFool wrote:
    If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,†being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

Switch place with "us"? As in the gay hive mind? Sorry buddy, not all gay people think the same.

And I think you'll find almost everything you mentioned is illegal and you are protected by law if you encounter such situations.

So if you feel attacked every day that isn't pride day, then I feel sorry for you. But thankfully most gay people don't share that same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I have to echo this question. I don't presume to tell anyone what they can and can't be proud of. But I wouldn't entertain the notion of anyone telling me what I can and can't be proud of about myself.
    No one is stopping you. The issue here, as has been said many times, is that most of these "straight pride" events are done under false pretenses. They usually are malicious in nature and homophobic. No one is telling you that you can't be proud of being straight or whatever other argument you're trying to have.

No one is stopping you. The issue here, as has been said many times, is that most of these "straight pride" events are done under false pretenses. They usually are malicious in nature and homophobic. No one is telling you that you can't be proud of being straight or whatever other argument you're trying to have.

The issue is, if you are proud of being straight, you are automatically under suspicion of being homophobic and/or malicious.

Essentially what you are saying is that it's ok to be proud to be straight if that's the way you feel, but just don't say it out loud or draw attention to it. Keep it in.

Sounds familiar.

• Advertisement

The issue is, if you are proud of being straight, you are automatically under suspicion of being homophobic and/or malicious.

Essentially what you are saying is that it's ok to be proud to be straight if that's the way you feel, but just don't say it out loud or draw attention to it. Keep it in.

Sounds familiar.
    Go read who organised this event please. This event, like most other "straight pride" events was malicious and homophobic.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    This isn't about me telling you Not to be proud of your sexuality. I couldn't give a ****e what you are.

If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,” being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

I'm not suggesting anyone swaps anything. I'm coming at it from the perspective of having equal respect for what makes people proud.

It keeps coming back to the idea that pride is only Derived through discrimination. No discrimination, no pride. I don't agree with that perspective and Ive asked a load of times why people keep coming back to it.

2 points keep coming up
    1. Gay pride is because of all the discrimination gay people experienced.
    Straight people didn't experience that discrimination so straight pride is bad.

I keep asking why pride is only OK if it follows discrimination and the response keeps coming back that the straight pride groups tend to be arzeholes. And that's true but it doesn't answer the question about why discrimination is the only path to pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

CosmicFool wrote: »

You should be ashamed of yourself for elevating the plight of gays above straight women. Don't you know how likely they were to die during childbirth for hundreds of thousands of years? And the toll that would take on their husbands/families?

But no, straight people have nothing to be proud. So what if women knowingly sacrificed themselves to keep this species going for hundreds of thousands of years...

****ing hell.

I'm not suggesting anyone swaps anything. I'm coming at it from the perspective of having equal respect for what makes people proud.

It keeps coming back to the idea that pride is only Derived through discrimination. No discrimination, no pride. I don't agree with that perspective and Ive asked a load of times why people keep coming back to it.

2 points keep coming up

I keep asking why pride is only OK if it follows discrimination and the response keeps coming back that the straight pride groups tend to be arzeholes. And that's true but it doesn't answer the question about why discrimination is the only path to pride.
    Marches usually have a reason or an aim. Gay pride's reason stems from Stonewall.

What reason/aim is behind a straight pride march? The reason for the one in the OP and a lot of others is hatred, hence the apprehension.

If you just decided to organise a march for next month with no reason or aim, it wouldn't do very well. So as a question, what do you think the reasoning behind holding a straight pride march would be? How would you get people interested in going to it? What is the hook that will make people want to march? For gay pride, that was discrimination and feeling left out and/or different by society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sounds familiar.

Way to completely miss the point.

If you're proud to be straight, then by all means organise your parade and have a great time.

But be prepared to have your parade infiltrated by people who will use it as a platform to bash non-hetero people, or people who don't conform to a conservative, religious view of the world.

Had a quick google for Straight Pride. First link is a new story where Don Grundmann was refused a permit for a Straight Pride Parade.
    Must be those bold gays pushing their agena, but the first image on Don Grundmann's website is this:

https://imgur.com/a/VxrPMs4
    2 points keep coming up

1) Gay Pride is a celebration to promote gay culture and is borne out of decades of discrimination.
    2) "Straight Pride" in it's current incarnation is nothing to do with having pride because you're straight. It's a front to promote conservative religious beliefs at the expense of minority groups.

• Advertisement

Go read who organised this event please. This event, like most other "straight pride" events was malicious and homophobic.

No thanks. This event maybe malicious. I was responding to someone who said that having straight pride is almost always homophobic or malicious.

I'm of the opinion that you (not you personally) can go **** yourself if you feel you can tell me what I can and can't be proud of.

I'm horribly intolerant in that way. I don't think people should be able to bully you into feeling ashamed or not proud of who you are.

We'll, yes. Some posters are saying exactly that:
    "But having straight pride is basically a "f**k you" to the LGBT community. So if they weren't pr1cks and they had a straight pride what would the pride be for? What's it's purpose?"

So I'm glad you're not doing that, but some posters are saying exactly that so the question still applies to them.

Padre_Pio wrote:
    But be prepared to have your parade infiltrated by people who will use it as a platform to bash non-hetero people, or people who don't conform to a conservative, religious view of the world.

I'd also have to be prepared for people calling me homophobic and protesting that my sexuality is not worthy of being proud of.

I'd also have to be prepared for people calling me homophobic and protesting that my sexuality is not worthy of being proud of.

Based on what evidence?

Padre_Pio wrote:
    Based on what evidence?

This thread?

We'll, yes. Some posters are saying exactly that:
    "But having straight pride is basically a "f**k you" to the LGBT community. So if they weren't pr1cks and they had a straight pride what would the pride be for? What's it's purpose?"

So I'm glad you're not doing that, but some posters are saying exactly that so the question still applies to them.
    Well, we're in a thread about a "f**k you" to LGBT community event. To my knowledge there has never been a "straight pride" event that wasn't malicious in nature like the OP. The apprehension comes from that.

Most of these events are born through hatred, rather than love which is what a pride march should be about regardless of sexuality. That makes a lot of us question the motives behind people proclaiming "straight pride"

This thread?

I don't see anyone here calling you homophobic for being proud of being straight.

Marches usually have a reason or an aim. Gay pride's reason stems from Stonewall.

What reason/aim is behind a straight pride march? The reason for the one in the OP and a lot of others is hatred, hence the apprehension.

If you just decided to organise a march for next month with no reason or aim, it wouldn't do very well. So as a question, what do you think the reasoning behind holding a straight pride march would be? How would you get people interested in going to it? What is the hook that will make people want to march? For gay pride, that was discrimination and feeling left out and/or different by society.

We'll, I wouldn't set up a straight pride parade personally because I don't feel strongly about it.

Someone could be proud of their sexuality for any number of reasons. So it would all depend on the answer to the question "why are you celebrating straight pride?"

There's no way you can tell me or anyone else what they can or can't be proud of. Think about it for a second. It's bang out of order and it's the exact opposite to the sentiment that allows straight people support gay pride. Or non Muslims support the Muslims celebrating Eid, or anything where people support other people celebrating something about themselves that doesn't apply to them.

Padre_Pio wrote:
    I don't see anyone here calling you homophobic for being proud of being straight.

Probably because I've not said I was.

I'm saying that a lot of posters on here have said that straight pride marches are born from homophobia or hatred. Therefore, if I was to organise one, it wouldn't be too far fetched that there would be counter protests levelling the same accusations at me.

We'll, I wouldn't set up a straight pride parade personally because I don't feel strongly about it.

Someone could be proud of their sexuality for any number of reasons. So it would all depend on the answer to the question "why are you celebrating straight pride?"

There's no way you can tell me or anyone else what they can or can't be proud of. Think about it for a second. It's bang out of order and it's the exact opposite to the sentiment that allows straight people support gay pride. Or non Muslims support the Muslims celebrating Eid, or anything where people support other people celebrating something about themselves that doesn't apply to them.
    Again, no one is saying that and no one is talking to you about hypothetical, inclusive, and loving Straight Pride marches. Because that's all they are, hypotheticals. The real life ones, like in the OP are for hatred not love, or being proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Plenty have said straight people have nothing to be proud of on this thread and anyone celebrating it is doing it for hateful reasons (so homophobia).

Probably because I've not said I was.

I'm saying that a lot of posters on here have said that straight pride marches are born from homophobia or hatred. Therefore, if I was to organise one, it wouldn't be too far fetched that there would be counter protests levelling the same accusations at me.

Yeh, unfortunately that's probably true.

The term "Straight Pride" has been tainted now by all those who've used it for everything other than actual Straight Pride.
    Hobosan wrote: »
    Plenty have said straight people have nothing to be proud of on this thread and anyone celebrating it is doing it for hateful reasons (so homophobia).

I don't agree that people shouldn't be proud of being straight. I don't see where people said that having a Straight Pride(for the express purpose of promoting your own sexuality) is bad.
    I think there's confusion around the term Straight Pride. When I see that term I think of conservative and religious groups, because they are the only ones who've ever organised a Straight Pride event.

Where would you like to be? We have a gay head of state, gay marriage is legal, there are equality laws.

Sure, some people might still balk at the idea of two men or two women having sex, but that's their prerogative. You can't force people to be comfortable with it.

I have no idea. But if they are, good for them.

Switch place with "us"? As in the gay hive mind? Sorry buddy, not all gay people think the same.

And I think you'll find almost everything you mentioned is illegal and you are protected by law if you encounter such situations.

So if you feel attacked every day that isn't pride day, then I feel sorry for you. But thankfully most gay people don't share that same experience.

In Ireland Yes but other countries aren't so fortunate. Bit of naivety to think that celebrating pride in Ireland is just about Ireland. It's about everywhere. Countries do kill and torture LGBT people which have little to no protection /laws for the LGBT community.

CosmicFool wrote:
    In Ireland Yes but other countries aren't so fortunate. Bit of naivety to think that celebrating pride in Ireland is just about Ireland. It's about everywhere. Countries do kill and torture LGBT people which have little to no protection /laws for the LGBT community. .

Oh so when you said "we aren't quite there yet, as a society" you were talking about the middle east?

I assumed you meant Ireland because you said "we aren't quite there yet,as a society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Protesting a gay pride event means you're anti gay.

Yet protesting a straight pride event means you're pro LGBT? Eh how? If you protest a straight pride event, you are anti straight people. :mad:

Oh so when you said "we aren't quite there yet, as a society" you were talking about the middle east?

I assumed you meant Ireland because you said "we aren't quite there yet,as a society.

You're just trolling now. My word choice probably wasn't the best, you probably knew that but just picking holes where you can. Good day.

Protesting a gay pride event means you're anti gay.

Yet protesting a straight pride event means you're pro LGBT? Eh how? If you protest a straight pride event, you are anti straight people. :mad:

Well you're over simplifying things there a good deal. I don't think that people would have issues with straight pride parades where the message is about love and inclusivity, as a previous poster said. However the issue is that, to put it mildly, there is usually more than a whiff of homophobia in the aims and messages of most straight pride events to date, particularly in the one mentioned in the OP.

CosmicFool wrote:
    You're just trolling now. My word choice probably wasn't the best, you probably knew that but just picking holes where you can. Good day.

That's unfair. I replied in good faith and showed how progressive Ireland was and how being gay in Ireland is not a hardship due to protections afforded to members of the community.

You then moved the goalposts to say "well yeah, but what about the people getting killed" which was a departure from our conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Well you're over simplifying things there a good deal. I don't think that people would have issues with straight pride parades where the message is about love and inclusivity, as a previous poster said. However the issue is that, to put it mildly, there is usually more than a whiff of homophobia in the aims and messages of most straight pride events to date, particularly in the one mentioned in the OP.

The issue is that people don't want equality.

Gay people in Ireland are equal. So what are they marching about?

Is it because they didn't used to be equal? It's like the orange order marching over events hundreds of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The reason there is straight pride is that people are totally fu5ked up with gay this or that.
    Our state broadcaster even sponsored gay week or month or however long it went on. My licence fee went towards that sh×te.

Advertisement