Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to change up

Options
  • 25-08-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of bother moving up the gears. Occasionally when I push the lever it's solid and won't go. I have noticed if i give it a little pressure down first it'll go no bother.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of bother moving up the gears. Occasionally when I push the lever it's solid and won't go. I have noticed if i give it a little pressure down first it'll go no bother.

Any ideas?
    Whats the machine pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

H_Lime wrote: »
    Whats the machine pc?

09 Versys. Bear in mind the issue could well be the rider. Only started Sat two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sounds like the lever is sticking...either gummed up with crap ,bent shaft or the spring in the box is broken...pray for gummed up...!!
    clean the area with petrol and spray some lubricant around the seal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well wear on the new motor.

Is this between particular gears? Every gear box is different and it might be the nature of the Versys, hard to tell without more detail of the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Might want to check the level of the Gearbox oil as well.
    If it hasn’t been serviced recently it may well be time to change it.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's a particular gear (s), I'll havta keep an eye on it. Def my technique has improved it happens less so maybe I'm over thinking.

Oil seems to be OK and the lad I bought it off serviced it 1000km back.

There is a lot of gunk in that area though so will try cleaning it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The lever probably isn't returning to its' natural resting position every time.

Take off the footpeg and slide off the gearchange.

Clean up the inside of the lever and the round part of the footpeg

Put a small bit of water-resistant grease on it when you put it back together

Put threadlock on the footpeg bolt

Test it is all working properly

NB If the peg etc falls off when you are riding, you might die so get a shop to do it if you're not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

As the lads aee saying PC try degreasing underneath the two wee rubber boots that protect the grlear linkage rose joints.

Peel the boot forward or back and spray brake cleaner and lube with a multi purpose waterproof grease.

While you're at it look in the manual and set the clutch free play correctly and see does it need lubing (both the pivot and cable, ie does it return fast when let go)

Lastly they are clunk mofos, rode one and while i liked the neutral finder preventing ya hoing into second at stanstill i did find the box agricultural. Preload the lever a bit with your foot slightly before shifting and be sure the throttle and chain free play is just so as well.

Might be wise to ensure the correct grade and weight oil is used on next service. Ya never know whats in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get some brake cleaner or similar de greaser but don't forget to lube up after....

Best of luck out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Aye, had this years ago on a ZX-6R, thought the 'box was busted.

Turns out the lever pivot was gummed up. A good clean and grease had it back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

I don't know the machine, but before doing anything big, maybe just check the clutch adjustment?

Thank you all. Lots to check.

I did adjust clutch cable already and set correct free play. That definitely felt better but not sure it changed much different.

I'll have a go at cleaning, greasing etc. and see.

Advertisement