Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Builders finish?

• 25-08-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Hoping for some guidance here.
    Building a house at the moment and costs are spiraling-hit rock!! So I’m trying to manage finances in my head as I’m building this with just my income.
    I’m conscious that I really don’t want to go too cheap on certain products that I will end up replacing in the next few years....but I really don’t want a huge debt over my head either.
    So here is my question. It’s a modest house -1450 sq foot. To go from builders finish to a reasonably furnished house would it seem possible for 20k?
    I will need tiles, kitchen (already price at 3k) , full bathroom , toilet and shower, paint, bedroom furniture, couch, utility, white goods, kitchen furniture etc.....
    Am I dreaming thinking I can do this for 20k?
    Is this a how long is a piece of string question or can someone help me our ? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

20k is tight, very tight.
    If you get the likes of the low end furnishings from bargain town, des Kelly you may just make it.

How come it’s gotten so tight? Did you cost the build before commencing?

3k for s kitchen is a tiny figure by the way. Do you have to get applicants out of that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I hit rock which unfortunately added 13k on to my costs.
    No I have budgeted another 2k for appliances on top of the kitchen of 3k which I’m including in the 20k. I don’t mind having to get furnishings from the likes of ikea tbh as I can always gradually replace a few bits over the years but I don’t want to shoot myself kn the foot either and try go too cheap. I have other savings but I get really stressed at the thought of touching them and feel like I’d be crazy to as it leaves me with no fallback....
    Especially tilers, painters (id love to be the sort of person who could do it myself but I’m really not good at this!) kitchen fitters etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

It is not impossible. But you'd be looking at the lower end of design. Its the design that mainly pumps up prices (and quality too of course). You can get a lot of bog standard sinks and toilets cheap. But they wont be very good looking (but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Few things:
    Do you plan only having 1 bathroom in a 1450 square house? Have you only budgeted for 1 bathroom? (per your post). Every bathroom = more money for plumbing, toilets, sinks, showers, tiles.

What about stairs? Will this be included in your tender/builders finish? Basic bog standard stairs is about 2-3k. Maybe you have a bungalow. Bungalows can be more expensive to build than square and up (bungalow = more roof and more foundations).

A very plain kitchen in a house your size would be about 3-5k (4/5k with applicances). Again, mightnt be the nicest or hardest wearing kitchen, but will do the job! Edit: I see you priced kitchen. Installation can be 1k alone. So if you can do that yourself?

I am doing a build right now. The best thing to do is take a couple of days, and go around the shops and look online to give yourself a better idea of costs. This is what I had to do.

Noone here can price my or your taste :)

Lost my long reply!! Thanks all firstly!
    It’s a dormer but I’m not going upstairs at this point. I’ve one full bathroom and a small shower and bathroom as well.
    I don’t think I made this clear-the builders doing up to builders finish. It’s after that that I’m worrying about.
    I have priced bathrooms, tiles etc but I’m finding it hard to price tilers and painters etc but my big worry is over what I’ve missed out on and am forgetting about. I’m aware it’s tight and I’d like to have more to spend on the kitchen but I can’t justify it.
    I’m not over fussy with finishes and it’s a straight forward house which makes things slightly easier!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tilers are hard to price because the price varies a lot depending on what tiles you've picked, the shape of the room, the type of adhesive needed, what grout is required etc.

I think 20k is probably doable, but you will be getting the cheapest of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

L1985 wrote: »
    It’s a dormer but I’m not going upstairs at this point.

Have you checked with the bank that they will let you have last 10-15% of the mortgage, without a stairs?

(assume you have a mortgage).

You can finish for 20k. You just wont be getting granite counter tops and the like.

Is it reassurance you are looking for? Perhaps type out what you need to do per room, and what you have to finish each room.

I went looking at doors at the weekend. The cost did surprise me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Have you checked with the bank that they will let you have last 10-15% of the mortgage, without a stairs?

(assume you have a mortgage).

You can finish for 20k. You just wont be getting granite counter tops and the like.

Is it reassurance you are looking for? Perhaps type out what you need to do per room, and what you have to finish each room.

Is the build finished ?

Thanks again. The lack of stairs isn’t an issue with the bank as it was never on the agenda.
    Yes it’s reassurance as I’ve started to panic a lot and I’m worried I’m forgetting things as well. Build is at roof level. I’m seriously looking at going up the north although I’d prefer to stay local to save some money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If your planning is for accommodation on first floor, will you get certification without having this complete?
    Working in this area, I found it very common before the recession for people to do as you are but when thinks tightened up, it changed dramatically.
    Banks wanted clean certification on fully compliant, fully completed properties.

Advertisement