If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell TV apart in pic quality

Options
  • 25-08-2019 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I am completely confused. Gone is he day when it was 720p or 1080p and everything was good.

Any quick guide on baselinepic quality and how it moves up?

Everything seems to say 4k but then do you need HD or Ultra HD or what?

Do each TV company have a different standard? b

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so I am completely confused. Gone is he day when it was 720p or 1080p and everything was good.

Any quick guide on baselinepic quality and how it moves up?

Everything seems to say 4k but then do you need HD or Ultra HD or what?

Do each TV company have a different standard? b
    Hi Shefwedfan,

we are all confused :D

4K is so passe now - it's all about 8K these days ( only joking)

In real terms pretty much all decent branded TV's of 40" and over are now 4K/UHD and 8K is starting to emerge - however do not automatically take the fact that a TV is 4K / UHD as proof positive that it is a good TV - or even better than some legacy 1080P TV's - as a rule you could assume this but there were some really superb non 4K TV that will still show some poor 4K TV's a clean set of heels.

So obviously the first thing to look for is 4K over standard HD / 1080p - greater resolution should normally mean better picture quality.

The next things to look for are probably HDR and motion processing - HDR = High Dynamic range and really goes hand in hand with 4K.

After that look at how the screen is lit, edge lit TV's are the most common but direct lit can be significantly better.

Next ( and some would say first!) what screen technology are you looking for - basically this splits into 2 LED or OLED ( there is QLED as well but that is really just an evolution of LED) - as a generalisation we would recommend OLED as the blacks are so much better, but the gap between OLED and QLED is narrowing and if you are a gamer or watch channels with vivid station idents we normally would not recommend OLED as you can get screen burn which is not covered under guarantee.

If you wanted a quick article the speed read - check out the What Hifi guide:
    https://www.whathifi.com/advice/tv-buying-guide-how-to-choose-right-tv-you

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can ever assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks.....I am looking for 55" for Netflix and sport.....its connected to Sky Q as well.

Rest of the time the kids are watching Noddy or some other kids program.

We have a 42" LG 42LS3450 and the speakers are going on it. From what I can read it won't take a sound bar so looking to upgrade. I have moved house so the "huge" 42" is now tiny as room is 10m x 5m so need to go bigger. 55" is what I think will suit.

Thanks.....I am looking for 55" for Netflix and sport.....its connected to Sky Q as well.

Rest of the time the kids are watching Noddy or some other kids program.

We have a 42" LG 42LS3450 and the speakers are going on it. From what I can read it won't take a sound bar so looking to upgrade. I have moved house so the "huge" 42" is now tiny as room is 10m x 5m so need to go bigger. 55" is what I think will suit.

Shefwedfan,

thanks again - that does change things a little - if you are into sport then the Philips 50 or 55PUS6554 motion processing is excellent ( I've just checked out the jack pack on your existing TV and you are correct - you're stuffed on the soundbar front!)

I'd also say that the Philips does have better audio quality than the Samsung - but to be honest most flat screens these days will still really benefit from a decent soundbar,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks

Last question, what size tv is recommended for a room 10m x 5m....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

4k, hdr, hlg , extra cash oled

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

4k, hdr, hlg , extra cash oled
    Hi Padjocollins.

If you are think OLED then the LG 55B8PLA priced at £1099 - This has upgrade speakers for a much better sound over the standard sets.https://www.richersounds.com/lg-55-inch-smart-oled.html

The Samsung QLED range are also excellent televisions the starting point the 55Q60R fantastic price of £854
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203930-samsung-qe55q60r-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-qled-tv-tvplus.aspx

Thanks

Shefwedfan,

there really is no correct answer to this - it's not just about the room size but also depends on the screen resolution - and critically the seating position - for 4K / UHD TV's we would normally recommend taking the screen size ( diagonal) and multiplying that by between 1.2 and 1.5 to give you an ideal ratio of seating distance to screen size.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks

Shefwedfan,

there really is no correct answer to this - it's not just about the room size but also depends on the screen resolution - and critically the seating position - for 4K / UHD TV's we would normally recommend taking the screen size ( diagonal) and multiplying that by between 1.2 and 1.5 to give you an ideal ratio of seating distance to screen size.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks.....

What is the story with Hisense TV?

Shefwedfan,

good brand which sells well and presents excellent value for money , not really sure what your query means - if you can elaborate we will do our best to answer constructively.. 

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan,

good brand which sells well and presents excellent value for money , not really sure what your query means - if you can elaborate we will do our best to answer constructively.. 

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sorry wasn't very clear

If I went with this one:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204198-hisense-55b7500uk-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

or

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203304-lg-55uk6400plf-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Which is beter?

Shefwedfan,

apologies for the delay getting back to you, bit of a manic delay, apologies again!

We are actually out of stock of the LG 55UK6400 so at the moment if you order the 55UK6400 we will upgrade Boardies to the LG 55UK6950 at no additional charge - you can check it out here:
    https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55UK6950PLB

..However there are not too many of the 55UK6950 left so if you are seriously considering that as an option I would not hang around too long as stock is finite..

Given that I personally would probably be tempted by the 'big brand' of the LG over the Hisense - however the Hisense has Dolby Vision as well as HLG and HDR10 HDR formats and is also beautifully built so its quite a difficult choice - the LG 6950 does have the Magic remote tho' which is a really nice toy!!

Have a look at the specs and if you are happy with the Hisense branding then I'd decide it on the specifications alone.

Apologies again for the delay and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi Imback.....

I am sticking to the LG but is the 55UK6950PLB not edge lit? and the LG 55UK6400 is direct lit?

I took ti direct is better? Thanskb

Hi Imback.....

I am sticking to the LG but is the 55UK6950PLB not edge lit? and the LG 55UK6400 is direct lit?

Hey Shefwedfan.

Bit of an issue as both those models are now totally out of stock and it looks like they may now be discontinued.

The NEW range of LG has been released for several months at this point.

The LG 55UM7400 priced at £499 (Currently in-store collection only) - Direct Lit.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204086-lg-55um7400plb-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Next up would be the 55UM7660 priced at £699 - Direct Lit.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204067-lg-55um7660pla-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Imback.....

Hey Shefwedfan.

Bit of an issue as both those models are now totally out of stock and it looks like they may now be discontinued.

The LG 55UM7400 priced at £499 (Currently in-store collection only) - Direct Lit.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204086-lg-55um7400plb-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204067-lg-55um7660pla-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Bit high for budget.....will have to look around and see can I pick up one.....I had extended budget to 560 to buy that one above

Hi Imback.....

Hey Shefwedfan.

Bit high for budget.....will have to look around and see can I pick up one.....I had extended budget to 560 to buy that one above
    Hey Shefwedfan.

If you are not tied to LG perhaps something like the Samsung 55RU7100 priced at £549 - There is a voucher that can be used with this (TV30) dropping the price to £519 (Voucher expires 8th Sept).
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203938-samsung-ue55ru7100-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-tvplus.aspx

Or the higher spec'd 55RU7400 priced at £599 and again you can apply (TV30) dropping in to £569
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203887-samsung-ue55ru7400-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-tvplus.aspx

Hey Again Shefwedfan.

I have some good news for you.

One of the LG 55UK6950 that has been reserved here at our store for another customer has now became available.

I can still offer it at the same deal John had quoted before at £479 or 549 Euro delivered.

I've it held to the side and you can let me know if you would like to go for it.

Hey Again Shefwedfan.

I have some good news for you.

One of the LG 55UK6950 that has been reserved here at our store for another customer has now became available.

I can still offer it at the same deal John had quoted before at £479 or 549 Euro delivered.

I've it held to the side and you can let me know if you would like to go for it.

Please hold....can you just confirm what is the width of the feet

Does it come with Magic remote? as well

or which ones come with magic remote

Sorry please let TV go....I got another one....thanks

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Sorry please let TV go....I got another one....thanks
    Hi Shefwedfan,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

No problem. I'm glad you got sorted in the end. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.