Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the required notice to end my tenancy?

Options
  • 26-08-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

My fixed term lease is ending on 31st of August (Started on 2nd of August).

I want to move into new place on 1st of October.

Is it 35 days? (since I've been here less than 1 year - 6 days short as of right now).

Am I right to understand that I should give notice by 27th of August if I want to leave on 1st of October?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You said started 2 August I presume you mean 2 September if you say 31 August is one year and you are now 6 days short of that. Technically your notice period will bring you over 12 months I think it should be 42 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

You said started 2 August I presume you mean 2 September if you say 31 August is one year and you are now 6 days short of that. Technically your notice period will bring you over 12 months I think it should be 42 days.

No it's 2nd of August.
    Alright so I guess I am stuck for 7 days and gonna have to pay for those as its' now 42 days notice?

arleitiss wrote: »
    No it's 2nd of August.
    Alright so I guess I am stuck for 7 days and gonna have to pay for those as its' now 42 days notice?

If it started on 2 August 2018 and ending on 31 August 2019 that is more than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

If it started on 2 August 2018 and ending on 31 August 2019 that is more than 12 months.

Alright, do you think I can email them and ask how long notice is needed or should I just give notice of 42 days and prepare to pay for 6 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's 42 days but if you're unsure there's no problem agreeing to a longer notice period. The notice is supposed to be on paper signed with certain information as well but I've never heard of that happening when a tenant is giving notice, in practice it's a much less formal process than a landlord giving notice.

• Advertisement

Quicker if you pick up the phone and ask them. You might be fine with you leaving 1 October that’s between you and them no one can answer that here.

Advertisement