Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What causes disadvantage

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

and then theres girl C who's parents taught her personal responsibility and who didn't get pregnant before college....

also in your scenario above, chances are girl b's parents are at work all day and while they can help financially, unless theyre wealthy enough they wont have the money to have that child minded all day, Girl A's parents probably are more able to provide support due to knowing how she can play the welfare system and being around all day and having a larger family around to help mind the child. in your scenario somebody who doesn't work and is at home all day as a parent trumps 2 parents working for almost anything under 60k a piece.

Girls B parents paid for creches for the kid. Dropped the kid off, collected them, paid for food,etc.

Girl A mother was fairly active but her father wasn't mentally well really or healthy and her mother had to look after him a lot. She hadn't many aunts, uncles, etc to look after the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

mariaalice wrote: »
    So a school principle was on RTE radio morning Ireland, saying that Tipperary town is a very disadvantaged area something like 20% unemployment for males and 30% for women. How does one area in a small country like Ireland end up like that?

Is it a geographical location issue?

Is it Historical?

It's usually caused by Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

LirW wrote: »
    The two "big" employers in the area are a meat processing plant and a plastic manufacturer. Not particularly attractive to anyone who trained in something.

.....or for lazy people who consider themselves above manual work despite having no useful skills or education

• Registered Users Posts: 35,093 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've been on Jobpath twice, a total of 18 months and not one job referall. Not one. and i have a degree and experience. there's just no work besides takeaways and hotels and pubs, a few shops.

So you'd rather sit on the dole than take a job that you consider beneath you?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Either way: it's not the teachers, or the school, that determines a child's educational success. It's their parents.

This. Education starts in the cradle.

Shocking to see women and men pushing buggies, face bet into the phone, not a word for their child.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

'in breeding'? :)
    It's a small country, but not that small. Could do with a larger gene pool but 'in breeding' is a stretch.

I was just using the vernacular that's used to describe mostly homogeneous populations. The whole inbreeding jibe comes up in banter with friends and workmates from an urban background, which is just a bit of craic mostly, sometimes it's not in good fun though. It just annoys me a bit, it's not just culchies or town dwellers that have kids with people from their own parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

LirW wrote: »
    Have you looked recently what's out there for work in Co. Wexford? Not an awful lot for someone who is has a certain skill set. The SE in general is a really tough patch for educated workforce and the good jobs rarely become available. I was looking for work in the area myself and it's really really hard because so many people would rather cut down their commute.

I do look regularly, I'd move back down if there I could get a job in my field, most of those I went to school with who are still there are teachers, civil servants or like another poster said work for or inherited the family business. Maybe companies should start putting hubs outside of the pale so everything isn't so concentrated in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see they are investing in upgrading the Liberties. Hopefully it will be great for the people living there. If it ends up being just another private land grab it will be bad for the city IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Call up late some evening and listen to the drilling and construction work from Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So you'd rather sit on the dole than take a job that you consider beneath you?

Ah let's be honest there, a hotel isn't going to hire someone with a degree and/or several years of specific experience. They know full well that someone like that won't be a pushover that can be easily exploited. Nothing wrong with flipping burgers but can we stop pretending that they'll hand you the apron and spatula once you get their CV in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

and then theres girl C who's parents taught her personal responsibility and who didn't get pregnant before college....

also in your scenario above, chances are girl b's parents are at work all day and while they can help financially, unless theyre wealthy enough they wont have the money to have that child minded all day, Girl A's parents probably are more able to provide support due to knowing how she can play the welfare system and being around all day and having a larger family around to help mind the child. in your scenario somebody who doesn't work and is at home all day as a parent trumps 2 parents working for almost anything under 60k a piece.

Girl C's parents can easily afford the trip to London and the few nights stay either side of the abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One factor is parents not giving a sh1t about their kids futures.

Parents should always want their kids to do well, and help them in whatever way they can to achieve this.

But I think too many people in this country are happy for their kids to underachieve like themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The movement of all manufacturing to China plays a part here. It’s destroyed middle America. And middle Ireland as well.

The modern equivalent of Atari is never going to move to Tipperary again but if they could get a factory employing a few hundred at the median industrial wage that money would revitalise the town. That’s what the IDA used to do, but now can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of factor I'd say to be honest.
    This is just an example I know of.
    Girl A and Girl B both are from a poor enough area however girls B parents are well off and have good jobs.
    Both fall pregnant around their leaving cert..
    Girl A wasn't overly academic and wanted to go down the route of hair and beauty/etc
    Girl B wanted to go to college.

Both sit there leaving cert after giving birth a few months before hand.

Girl A finds it easy enough to get into her hair dressing courses. However when shes there she has little money and not a lot of support at home. She eventually figures out she's better off at home.

Girl B doesn't get on great but her parents pay for her to attend a grinds school and always look after the kid.
    They fund here car, accomodation, fees the next year etc. She does pick up a part time job tough.

Girl B would give you a story about how she did everything herself and how hard it was.(Now she studied and passed her exams) but she had lots of support and money at home but she'd turn her nose up at girl A thinking she should have done the same.

Girl A essential gets stuck in a rut and may pick up odd jobs over the year whilst girl b has a lot more chances of getting out of their area.

Has the fathers of the babies no responsibility for their children or is it all up to the mother and Grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

mariaalice wrote: »
    Has the fathers of the babies no responsibility for their children or is it all up to the mother and Grandparents.

Well to be fair, they've already done most of the hard work and put in the time and effort required at conception. ;)

Advertisement