Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 Year Old Bank Account or PrePaid card

• 26-08-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

Any recommendations for the best value Over 16's account?
    Any experiences?

Daughter is looking to have an account/card that allows her to put money onto and spend for online and local purchases.
    Just trying to avoid charges incl the Gov Card.
    Looked at PTSB but AIB seem to credit annual fee back....
    thought that maybe a prepaid card that they can lodge money into would work but not sure if allowed for under 18s.

Thanks in advance

Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

can she get a student account?

they are usually free from charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Get a FREE EBS Money Manager account and get Revolut FREE package and you have a perfect FREE combination.

Just top up Revolut from the EBS account and use the Revolut App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for replies to date, any particular student account recommendations?

I'll looked at the EBS money manager account but it has a minimum age of 18 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/everyday-banking/current-accounts/teen-account/#d.en.531 - once she hit's 18 then could move to EBS Money Manager Account and get Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Bank of Ireland and AIB have current accounts for second level students.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/2nd-level-current-account/features-benefits/

What you get with a 2nd Level Current Account

If you are 14 or over, you will receive a Visa Debit Card which will allow you to shop and pay for your purchases directly from your 2nd level student current account. It also saves you carrying cash around, so it’s perfect for school trips abroad. A Visa Debit card is a quick, easy and better way to pay.

You can use your Visa Debit card at home and abroad to withdraw cash from ATMs and pay for goods and services. However, there may be charges for using your Visa Debit card abroad, so please check our Schedule of Fees & Charges brochure.

Online banking, Mobile banking and Telephone banking – bank whenever you want, wherever you want.

Access to Ireland’s largest ATM and Branch network.

You will not be charged fees on the following day to day banking transactions for the duration of your studies:

Lodgements.
    Debit card transactions and cash back (for Debit Card, ATM and Point of Sale transactions and cash back there may be fees and charges for using your card (Visa Debit) abroad. For full details click here to see our brochure “Schedule of Fees and Charges for Personal Customers”; it is also available in branch).

Debit/credit transactions using 365 online or phone or mobile banking.

Withdrawals at Bank of Ireland ATM’s or in branches.

https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/student-account

The AIB Student Account for 2nd Level Students is designed to fit in with the way you live.

This current account is for students between the ages of 12 and 18 who are in part time or full time second level education. We will help you manage your day-to-day money or save some money for the future.

AIB Student Account for 2nd Level Students
    Features and Benefits

Banking free of maintenance and transaction fees. Other charges still apply. Please see our booklet 'A Guide to Fees and Charges for Personal Accounts' for details.

Optional AIB Debit Card. The bank will pay the annual Government Stamp Duty on your AIB Debit Card. Parental/ Guardian consent is required for an AIB Debit Card if you are under 16 years of age.

For more information view the AIB Debit Card page.
    Commission-free foreign exchange. Commission-free purchase and sale of foreign currency notes. To avail of this additional benefit, you must advise staff at the time of each transaction that you are an AIB Student Account holder.

These additional financial benefits are only available on face to face transactions undertaken at the branch and are not available on any transactions undertaken at an ATM, AIB Self Service banking or through any other electronic means.

Friendly, helpful advice from our Student Officers.

Additional Services
    AIB Phone & Internet Banking, AIB Mobile Banking and AIB Tablet Banking give you the flexibility of banking at a time and location that suits you.

• Advertisement

BOI are the worst for transferring money etc, absolute archaic system they use

gwalk wrote: »
    BOI are the worst for transferring money etc, absolute archaic system they use

? Don't see the relevance to my question ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭banie01

At 16 all accounts should be free, or at least all banks will offer a free student option.

My son is 15, has had a PTSB account with a debit card since he was 12.

I find it a great tool for teaching him money management and budgeting skills.

He gets his pocket money paid monthly and has learned to manage that "relatively" well.

Lots of options available, for ease of transferring from your account, to your child's.
    I'd advise opening them an account with the same bank as you.
    That allows for immediate funding as opposed to next day ;)

redman wrote: »
    ? Don't see the relevance to my question ...

a poster listed a comparison between AIB and BOI and i was saying that BOI are horrendous for transferring money from my experience.

4 of my kids have had AIB accounts since they were 15. Although I am with UB, AIB is the most straight forward in terms of setting up the account.
    They don't charge the government levy at all and the student stays on that account til they leave school.

• Advertisement

4 of my kids have had AIB accounts since they were 15. Although I am with UB, AIB is the most straight forward in terms of setting up the account.
    They don't charge the government levy at all and the student stays on that account til they leave school.

Thanks for that recommendation Derek, did you need to have a bank account yourself with AIB or can they be just independent?

redman wrote: »
    Thanks for that recommendation Derek, did you need to have a bank account yourself with AIB or can they be just independent?

I don't bank with AIB at all. Just bring photo ID (passport) and proof of address (credit union statement etc).
    If you don't have the above for your child, then you will need to bring their proof of ID, your proof of ID and your utility bill or bank statement etc at proof of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

banie01 wrote: »
    At 16 all accounts should be free, or at least all banks will offer a free student option.

My son is 15, has had a PTSB account with a debit card since he was 12.

I find it a great tool for teaching him money management and budgeting skills.

He gets his pocket money paid monthly and has learned to manage that "relatively" well.

Lots of options available, for ease of transferring from your account, to your child's.
    I'd advise opening them an account with the same bank as you.
    That allows for immediate funding as opposed to next day ;)

What ptsb AC is this?

Advertisement