Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement debit card blocked while trying to activate

Options
  • 26-08-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

As per the title my replacement debit card is blocked after repeated attempts to activate it by withdrawing cash at an ATM.

I was told that the PIN would remain unchanged but the ATMs kept saying that an incorrect PIN was entered? I have had the same PIN for many years so I am confident that I entered the correct PIN.

Can I get some assistance as I am now without a bank card for over a week and it's becoming quite awkward.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today.

We are very sorry to hear that you were unable to activate your replacement card. If your previous card was reported as lost or stolen then you would automatically receive a new PIN. This should arrive within a day or two of receiving the card. Our apologies if this was not mentioned to you.

If you reported your card as damaged and requested a new card to be sent then you would keep the existing PIN. If this is the case it may be necessary for our customer service to investigate why it is not activating for you. We would advise you to send a message from your 365 Online. You can log into 365 Online (through the web browser on your phone/PC) and on the left hand side it says Service Desk. There's a drop down menu here with a facility to "Ask a Question" and our advisors will look into this.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today.

We are very sorry to hear that you were unable to activate your replacement card. If your previous card was reported as lost or stolen then you would automatically receive a new PIN. This should arrive within a day or two of receiving the card. Our apologies if this was not mentioned to you.

If you reported your card as damaged and requested a new card to be sent then you would keep the existing PIN. If this is the case it may be necessary for our customer service to investigate why it is not activating for you. We would advise you to send a message from your 365 Online. You can log into 365 Online (through the web browser on your phone/PC) and on the left hand side it says Service Desk. There's a drop down menu here with a facility to "Ask a Question" and our advisors will look into this.

Many thanks,
    Kat
    Hi Kathryne,

Thank you for the quick reply. There were fraudulent transactions on the card and I was in contact with the fraud team who dealt with those and advised that I would be issued a new card as the old one was compromised, they did specifically say that I would not need a new PIN however which is why I attempted to activate it using the current PIN.

So what should I do now when I receive the new PIN to get the card unblocked?

Many thanks

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for linking back in with us here.

We're so sorry that you had fraudulent activity on your card and we hope the Card Security team were able to look into this for you.

Apologies for the misinformation but recently cards that are being ordered as stolen or compromised are automatically sent with a new PIN. When the PIN arrives you will be able to activate it as normal. Your previous attempts won't affect your ability to activate the card with the correct PIN as it will have been more than 24 hours.

Many thanks,
    Kat 

Ok that's good news, thanks Kathryne.

Hi,

Just an update on my card issues, I received my new PIN and have activated the card however the card seems to be blocked for Internet transactions.

I've tried to top up my leap card with the new card and update my PayPal account with the new card but keep getting a declined by card issuer message.

This is very frustrating, can you please advise what is going on?

• Advertisement

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for coming back to us here.

We are delighted that you received the PIN and have been able to activate the card. We are very sorry, however, that you're having difficulties using it for online purchases.

Can we ask, how did you activate the card? You would need to make a cash withdrawal or check your balance at a BOI ATM for the card to be activated.

Also, are you getting an error message that says "Verified by Visa" or "3D secure"?

Many thanks,
    Kat

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for coming back to us here.

We are delighted that you received the PIN and have been able to activate the card. We are very sorry, however, that you're having difficulties using it for online purchases.

Can we ask, how did you activate the card? You would need to make a cash withdrawal or check your balance at a BOI ATM for the card to be activated.

Also, are you getting an error message that says "Verified by Visa" or "3D secure"?

Many thanks,
    Kat
    Hi Kat,

I activated it by withdrawing cash.

And no, the error I'm getting is saying that the card issuer is declining the transaction or something to that effect. There was no mention of Verified by Visa or 3D secure.

Hi Jiltloop,

Thanks for confirming that for us.

You have definitely activated your card correctly so it should be working for online transactions. We would suggest linking in with our customer service to take a look at the card. You can reach them on Freephone 1800946764.

You could also send a message from your 365 Online. Log into 365 Online (through the web browser on your phone/PC) and on the left hand side it says Service Desk. There's a drop down menu here with a facility to "Ask a Question" and our advisors will check this out.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Advertisement