Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dormant savings account

Options
  • 26-08-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi ya

I have been advised that I cant transfer money by online banking in a savings account I have as the account is dormant...even though I use it regularly. I now need to call into a branch in order to remove the cash. Could you advise who in a branch I need to speak to - a bank teller or customer service. I am truly appalled by this to be honest. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Gauchesnell,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your query today.

We are very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with this and we will certainly raise your feedback.

It would be a security procedure for an account to become "inactive" if there have been no debits to the account for a number of years. In this case you would need to present in branch with photographic ID to reactivate the account. One of our welcome advisors will help you with this.

I hope this information helps and if you have any further queries please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Thanks for your reply but you didnt answer my query. Is it a teller or customer service I need to go to. I havent been inside a branch let alone a Bank of Ireland branch in years so my feedback is that this is appalling customer service and I will be closing my bank of ireland accounts.

This means I need to take a day off work and go to a branch. I would like to know who I need to speak to before I organise a day off work.

Thank you 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Thanks for your reply but you didnt answer my query. Is it a teller or customer service I need to go to. I havent been inside a branch let alone a Bank of Ireland branch in years so my feedback is that this is appalling customer service and I will be closing my bank of ireland accounts.

This means I need to take a day off work and go to a branch. I would like to know who I need to speak to before I organise a day off work.

Thank you 

You haven't been in a branch in years if you think there are tellers...

Thank you 

You haven't been in a branch in years if you think there are tellers...
    I am sorry is this a Bank of Ireland representative speaking? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Gauchesnell,

Apologies if my answer wasn't clear. You would need to speak with a customer service advisor in the branch and they will be happy to assist you in reactivating the account.

I understand that you are unhappy with this process and you may certainly raise a complaint about this if you wish. Here is a link for more information on our complaints process.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/customer-complaints-process/

To answer your question above, no the response was not from us. You will see Bank of Ireland beside all of our responses, other answers are from other users on Boards.ie.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Advertisement

Thank you for the speedy reply - I will proceed with a complaint and look for the customer service desk in a branch

Not sure what the purpose of that other comment was but thank you for clarifying it was not on behalf of Bank of Ireland. 

Hi Bank of Ireland

I posted previously and would like to provide an update as the information I was provided here and by online banking is incorrect.

I presented to my nearest branch today and after a 45 minute wait and after speaking with 2 staff members they advised me that they couldn't assist me but that they would need to contact the branch that opened the account and it would take 3 days to reactivate my account as the branch which now holds my account would be required to do it. The branch also required proof of address along with proof of ID. The branch advised me that the information I received here was incorrect.

To clarify I have held current and savings accounts with Bank of Ireland since I was in school. These accounts would have been opened in my local branch which closed down many years ago. This branch is located in a different county from where I live now and have lived for nearly 20 years. All accounts in that branch are now held in a city branch. The account I am speaking about is a regular savings accounts that has a very small amount of money in it and was last active in July - last lodgement in July.

Anyway I am very confused by this. Is there a particular reason by my nearest branch wouldn't assist me. Would you clarify why proof of address was also required. 

Maybe my situation is unusual but a lot of small local branches have closed so it makes it impossible for customers to contact the branch that opened their account. This took a day off work and a 45 minute wait to find out I have to wait another 3 days to get my cash out of this dormant account.  havent been in a branch in a few years so may I ask why there are no staff present. There was a significant queue and only one person available. The second person appeared only when the person at the desk couldnt assist me. 

I am still unclear as to why my account was made dormant in the first place. 

Looking forward to your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Gauchesnell,

Thanks for linking back in with us.

Apologies, it should have been mentioned previously that proof of address is needed with your photo ID when reactivating your account.

We would like to look into this further for you, would you mind sending us a private message?

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi Gauchesnell,

Thanks for linking back in with us.

Apologies, it should have been mentioned previously that proof of address is needed with your photo ID when reactivating your account.

We would like to look into this further for you, would you mind sending us a private message?

Thanks,

Lorna
    my account was finally reactivated and I have transferred my cash to AIB. Appalling service. I cant seem to DM you but I would be grateful if you could find out why this happened, why incorrect information was provided to me, why Terenure Branch advised me the information I was provided was incorrect and why it took 4 days to reactivate an account that was active in July 2019. 

How can I go about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Thanks for coming back to us.

We're very sorry that we did not mention that proof of address was needed in our initial post.

We're going to send you a private message shortly, if you reply back we will be happy to look into your other queries for you.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Advertisement
Advertisement