Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Light Switches

• 26-08-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone got any recommendation for WiFi light switches?
    Looking to replace current switches with ones capable of being controlled by Alexa.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

zep wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone got any recommendation for WiFi light switches?
    Looking to replace current switches with ones capable of being controlled by Alexa.
    Cheers

Do you have power at your light switches, nearly all electrical installations in this country only route the positive core through the switch.

Have you looked at Philips hue? This way you can just leave the switch on and get a hue switch or motion sensor. I have most of the house done in hue at this stage with sensors for hallway and landing and switches for the other rooms. You can even get covers for your original switches to take the hue switch which is removable and magnetic

Light Wall Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer Switch, Homegoo Dimmable Via Smart Wireless Device or Dimmer Switch for EU/UK Standard Switch Adapter Converter Cover Plate https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NR4L4NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hG.yDb22VDK7P

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Thanks for the reply, nearly sure switches have a common wire and the switched live so just a WiFi switch as per below is what I was thinking.

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-tx-series-wifi-smart-wall-switches.html

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

These ones look good too, haven't tried them:

https://getden.co.uk/

Advantage is that it just looks like a normal switch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

quiggs1000 wrote: »

Nice looking switches, but a bit expensive and requires a hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have one, works fine but as said it needs a hub.

Uses leakage between live and earth to power itself so you need an earth at the switch you're replacing. That limited it's usefulness in our house.

Due to the high power usage of the switch activator and the limit to high much current can drawn there is a 45 second recharge period between automated switching.

Activation is also ridiculously loud!

• Advertisement

nearly all electrical installations in this country only route the positive core through the switch.
    2VDK7P

Nearly all is a stretch.
    Anything I've wired/seen wired in the last 15 years would have neutrals at the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I have one, works fine but as said it needs a hub.

Uses leakage between live and earth to power itself so you need an earth at the switch you're replacing. That limited it's usefulness in our house.

Due to the high power usage of the switch activator and the limit to high much current can drawn there is a 45 second recharge period between automated switching.

Activation is also ridiculously loud!

Thanks for the review, I was wondering myself how it worked in practice. I've heard that the switching is really loud - you could be woken up in bed with the lights turning off downstairs :(

Also, you can't switch back on/off for 45 seconds after the last automation - good to know. Trying to figure out if that's a deal-breaker. I guess if you walk into a room and leave immediately and want to switch on/off the light with Alexa as you come and go that would be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thanks for the review, I was wondering myself how it worked in practice. I've heard that the switching is really loud - you could be woken up in bed with the lights turning off downstairs :(

Also, you can't switch back on/off for 45 seconds after the last automation - good to know. Trying to figure out if that's a deal-breaker. I guess if you walk into a room and leave immediately and want to switch on/off the light with Alexa as you come and go that would be a problem.

The problem is if you activate it by mistake, you need to wait until you can correct yourself. If you're walking out you can just hit the switch.

I genuinely got a warning from my wife that I need to warn her when if I was going to switch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was looking into WiFi switches a couple of years ago.
    Didn't have neutral at the switch so I ended up going with Smart Bulbs instead.

Full range of control via the Smartlife or Tuya app, that also integrates fully with Google Assistant, Alexa IFTTT and other assistants, fully dimmable and colour changing too (not that colour changing gets used much)

Rather than drop neutrals to all my switches changing to the WiFi bulb and switching my bulb holders from E22 to B27 sorts all my GH lighting control and worked out really well.

The price of the bulbs has varied between @€;12 and €15 so quite cost effective too IMO.

Advertisement