Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Cast Concrete Wall v ... a wall

Options
  • 26-08-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Bought a house last year and there was a crappy wooden fence that was in a bad way
    We've decided to build a wall to replace it and are getting differing opinions from everyone we mention it to, some say building a wall from scratch is the only way, others sayin the pre-cast concrete stone effect walls are cheaper and better.....
    We've a fair distance to build so we know it'll be costly anyways but would like to hear what you guys think....
    Also any recommendations for pre cast supplier in the west of Ireland....a lot of places don't do them anymore

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How long? How high? What slope? Ground conditions? Drainage considerations? Urban or rural?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

60m long, 1m high, 1m diff from front to back, ground conditions are pretty good, not rocky. Drainage is not an issue, Rural

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

1m high overground sounds quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

why a wall and not a fence ?

The precast stuff looks ****e (my own opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Most would do a blockwork wall then face that with local stone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you were to use large stones for facing then you'd probably do a single block on edge so its a thin base wall with a thick facing (one or both sides) or if you are using something thinner like then you might want a thicker base wall with blocks on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Judging by the quotes I got, a proper stone faced wall costs about thirty times as much as a nice fence.

So almost nobody builds long stone walls any more, the labour costs are too high.

Unless we get another famine, it'll be fences and ugly concrete until the end of civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Walls are just one of them things. Expensive even for an ugly one. You could plaster it . We got it plastered using white sand. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If its really rural, have you the space to do an earthen bank with a hedge on top, it'd probably be cheaper than a fence, very little maintenence and when established, would look a lot more natural than either a concrete or wooden fence,
    (get a mini digger in with a decent driver to make the bank, if you've loads of stone on site you could face it with stone, but either way top it with a mix of hawthorn and other natives, which you can get reasonably enough from nurseries that do hedging mixes for farmers... And stick a fence outside it on your boundary line to make it stock proof...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The rock face panels are lovely I think, and not too expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement