Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local history, Leixlip/Celbridge

• 26-08-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

I'm a recent blow-in to Leixlip - the Easton end - since Christmas. I've enjoyed Heritage Week getting into a few buildings including Leixlip Castle, and took in a local history talk too.

I know there are a few books out there about the area and its history, but is there a local bookshop in Maynooth or elsewhere that might stock them? And I hear occasional rumours of a local history club, anyone know when/where they meet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a proper independent bookshop on Main Street in Maynooth that would be the most likely to stock that sort of stuff around here - the domain name does it a disservice because it isn't just a school books, stationery and chicklit shifter like most remaining smaller independents: https://www.schoolbooksmaynooth.com/

http://kildarelocalhistory.ie/leixlip/about-leixlip-history-club/ has details of the Leixlip club; I'd ask the library first to check if that info is valid and also I'd guess it may be winter/spring only. There's one in Maynooth also but these kind of clubs are often very town specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Leixlip Library has a number of copies of John Colgan's "Leixlip, Co Kildare" which covers a lot of the local area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BaronVon wrote: »
    Leixlip Library has a number of copies of John Colgan's "Leixlip, Co Kildare" which covers a lot of the local area.

This ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Celbridge Historical Society meets in the library on the first Monday of every month at 7:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Castletown house also have a book for sale which covers the history of Celbridge, I cannot recall the name of it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

"A History of Celbridge" by Tony Doohan is very good. Can be purchased from Amazon and other places. Might have some in Castletown House.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Joe Public wrote: »
    "A History of Celbridge" by Tony Doohan is very good. Can be purchased from Amazon and other places. Might have some in Castletown House.

The library has a few copies too.

Advertisement