Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir

Options
  • 26-08-2019 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i'm trying to call eir several times today and was in que for 20 minutes every time i called - i wanna cancel their stupid service as we are moving away from our apartment (where only eir was available) to a house where i thankfully can choose whoever i want. (is vodafone ok? i only need broadband)

how am i supposed to cancel the account if i cant get through their que? their chat service isnt able to help, they only ask me to call. i dont see an online-option to cancel.

i went on their complaints-page, and guess what... its "under maintenance". bull****. at least they have an email address listed, i wrote there, but honestly i dont expect an answer in due time. what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your well lost there Kiddo, but you can't cancel an eircom account over the phone you need to write them a letter can't remember the address but it's in Dublin, register the letter as they'll no doubt say they didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Your well lost there Kiddo, but you can't cancel an eircom account over the phone you need to write them a letter can't remember the address but it's in Dublin, register the letter as they'll no doubt say they didn't get it.

seriously now?

cant i just cancel the direct debit or something? what a ****ty company, really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

murfilein wrote: »
    seriously now?

The Cancellations Team,
    eir, Floor 2,
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John’s Road,
    Dublin 8 D08 A9RT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

seriously now?

I agree that it is total nonsense having to write to them. I wouldn't advise cancelling your direct debit straight away as any money owed to them could potentially flag on a future credit report.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

https://www.eir.ie/switching/

All the details here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Another case of the Regulator asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I was in same situation when moving house. My contract was up. Send them a letter and email giving them the 30 days notice. Then after 30 days send them back the modem and cancel the direct debit.

I did this and also changed the payment method to a fake credit card number to make sure they wouldn't keep taking money from account. A year later I keep getting a bill every month and strangely my account keeps showing the bills as being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

recyclebin wrote: »
    I was in same situation when moving house. My contract was up. Send them a letter and email giving them the 30 days notice. Then after 30 days send them back the modem and cancel the direct debit.

I did this and also changed the payment method to a fake credit card number to make sure they wouldn't keep taking money from account. A year later I keep getting a bill every month and strangely my account keeps showing the bills as being paid.

So your account never cancelled and you gave someone else's credit card number and they've been paying since. I could be wrong but that's credit card fraud by you. I'd try canceling it fully again while the going is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Probably best to send the letter.
    But I switched to a different provider using my UAN.
    They sent me a letter asking for the router and I got a final bill when they received it. After paying the final bill myeir account now shows as inactive when I log in.
    So it should work automatically if you are switching provider using UAN but it's Eir so the chances of them ****ing it up are high and you are covered legally if you sent the letter.
    I'd advise cancelling the direct debit, they give you about 2 weeks to pay the final bill manually so that gives you time to question it if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tuxy wrote: »
    Probably best to send the letter.
    But I switched to a different provider using my UAN.
    They sent me a letter asking for the router and I got a final bill when they received it. After paying the final bill myeir account now shows as inactive when I log in.
    So it should work automatically if you are switching provider using UAN but it's Eir so the chances of them ****ing it up are high and you are covered legally if you sent the letter.
    I'd advise cancelling the direct debit, they give you about 2 weeks to pay the final bill manually so that gives you time to question it if you need to.

Did you have to notify them about switching provider before or even after the new provider was in place?
    Did they provide a means of returning the router? Did they arrange collection?
    Did you know what the final bill would be prior to sending back the router?

I am attempting to do something similar this week and am not sure what is going to happen!

(now must read https://www.eir.ie/switching/ in case I missed something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The cancellation process for Eir is beyond a joke. I ended up calling having to call about 10 times before I eventually got them to cancel.

Reading from that link posted above, it seems eir want 30 days notice even if switching provider and that seems to apply even if out of contract.

Else they will charge a 'penalty' :(

This contradicts what I was told on the phone by eir 'loyalty team menber' when I rang them a couple of weeks ago.

The letter had the options of arranging a time for the router to be collected or a parcel motel lable so I stuck that on and dropped it off at the nearest parcel motel. I has no idea what the final bill would be, that's why I canceled the direct debit. Not sure if the bill was exactly correct but it seemed fair so I logged into myeir and paid manually. Of course it's Eir who constantly mske billing mistakes so you may not be as lucky. That's why I would recommend sending a registered letter.

The letter had the options of arranging a time for the router to be collected or a parcel motel lable so I stuck that on and dropped it off at the nearest parcel motel. I has no idea what the final bill would be, that's why I canceled the direct debit. Not sure if the bill was exactly correct but it seemed fair so I logged into myeir and paid manually. Of course it's Eir who constantly mske billing mistakes so you may not be as lucky. That's why I would recommend sending a registered letter.

Thanks for that .... they can collect from here, as I am not travelling anywhere to facilitate them!

It seems now I will be paying an extra month for a service I will not have (see above) so I will not go out of my way to suit them.

Full disclosure. Eir have messed me around in the past. I was stupid to go back to them. This time their mess up actually gave me over €200 credit so I got a few months free. Happy to be out of contract and gone before they make a mistake that's not in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

osarusan wrote: »
    The Cancellations Team,
    eir, Floor 2,
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John’s Road,
    Dublin 8 D08 A9RT

The head office is in City West now
    The cancellations team is Churchfield,Cork

Full disclosure. Eir have messed me around in the past. I was stupid to go back to them. This time their mess up actually gave me over €200 credit so I got a few months free. Happy to be out of contract and gone before they make a mistake that's not in my favour.

Just checked myeir and it shows I owe
    ~€76 in an active circle .... click on one part of circle and it shows ~€68 and on another part it shows minus ~€6
    How they get €76 is beyond me.
    It seems they might be dropping my phone!

I click to view the bill PDF and I see a bill for €62
    Monthly payment for 150Mb/s and phone (no calls) €68 less the €6 shown on previous page it seems.

No explanation anywhere what they are doing!

I hope I get the phone number and broadband successfully changed over without loss of either.
    Heck if I lose BB then the phone is gone anyway!

Never again!

Follow up:

I got through to eir loyalty team again (after waiting the apparently required 10+ mins for a human to take the call).
    I called 1800 504 110

I had a long and frustrating experience trying to explain that I am moving and had already tried the loyalty team for a better deal than the ~€68/month they propose to charge.
    I have the deal signed up and told them so, yet he insisted on speaking about wifi and other nonsense.

Eventually he offered me a 12 month for ~€46/month which I found even more frustrating, and he mentioned before I rang off that he could even better that deal!

I asked him why the idiot I first spoke to had not made such an offer? No ans.

He could not enlighten me about the charge on the bill.

He did confirm that I understand correctly, after he stated it, that as soon as I have the new service operating, I should ring them again to cease the eir service, and I will not be charged further from that time.
    I mentioned the contradictory info on the website but he confirmed that charges cease after I make that phone call.

He also told me I would have to send the router back myself ...... I mentioned I read today that it could be collected. He said no.

So in just about each area that one needs to know about, the information coming from phone contact contradicts what is written on the two web pages

https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-phone

https://www.eir.ie/equipmentreturns/

I started my call to them at 15:28 this afternoon and it lasted more than 35 minutes.

I await with some interest to see what happens next week, when bills begin to issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The 30 day cancel notice or sending letter to cancel is a ploy on their behalf to keep you by offering a better price.

If your out of contract you can just give the uan number to the new company you sign up to and thay will do the rest.

Eir will send final bill and request modem return. Best way to return the modem is via their Parcel Motel service. At least that way you have proof of collection.

I checked all above with Eir 2 months ago before I followed the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

ok so i found a complaint phone number on the eir website:

1800 200 481

called it, told the person i want to cancel, but they still had to transfer me to their cancellation department.

took around 15 minutes until someone answered, and they cancelled the account with a notice of 24 hours.

the lady told me to send my modem back through anpost, asked me to write down:

Eir Returns
    Equipment Returns
    Free Post
    Co. Limerick
    Account Number: ********

the first row of stars are a code, i assume its different for every customer/account?
    the account number has to be on the outside of the box as well as on the inside.

• Advertisement

So your account never cancelled and you gave someone else's credit card number and they've been paying since. I could be wrong but that's credit card fraud by you. I'd try canceling it fully again while the going is good.

I searched for credit card number generator on Google. First website you click on gives you a credit card number. I really doubt that somebody is actually being charged but I'm puzzled as to why Eir keeps showing bills as being paid. I was at the end of my tether trying to cancel the account using all reasonable options. I had spent hours trying to get them on the phone and the web chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

ok so i found a complaint phone number on the eir website:

1800 200 481

called it, told the person i want to cancel, but they still had to transfer me to their cancellation department.

took around 15 minutes until someone answered, and they cancelled the account with a notice of 24 hours.

the lady told me to send my modem back through anpost, asked me to write down:

Eir Returns
    Equipment Returns
    Free Post
    Co. Limerick
    Account Number: ********

the first row of stars are a code, i assume its different for every customer/account?
    the account number has to be on the outside of the box as well as on the inside.

Why even bother complaining, they probably know they are rubbish beyond believe anyway. The limerick address they gave you is right. Just make sure and keep the postal receipt. I cancelled my direct debit as they normally take the money for the equipment and give it back once you contact them and show them the receipt. So when they ring ill just pay it there and then.

I had a small trick to get through to them faster over the phone albeit i was still waiting quite some time. Get through to technical support and say you made a mistake and want customer service. The waiting is half as long as least i thought it was, it also avoids the maze you have to go through over the phone.

I has all the same issues, told me i didnt have to wait 30 days and when my contract was up i could just give 24 hour notice. Rang 24 hours before, told me i had to give 30 days notice, tellers hanging up on me. List goes on.

Never again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Keen to hear who you people who left eir went to?

Dcully wrote: »

Airwire, no complaints. A few minutes after I lost connection during the switchover Airwire rang me with my username and password. So only about 15 mins downtime max. I'm on FTTH 150 and get 144Mbps which is the same as I was getting with Eir. No download cap also and price does not change after 12 months so all going well I will be staying with Airwire indefinitely.

I have also gone with Airwire ...... and have 150/30 over openeir fibre.
    Connected on Friday .... no downtime as the eir service is still live.

I am waiting for my phone number to be ported after which I can cancel my eir service ...... hopefully Monday.

I need the time to figure out how to manage the options in the new Fritz!Box router :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Airwire were top of my list until i saw they have a fair usage policy and are not totally unlimited?

I see on their website they are saying no cap now, that must be a recent change?

Apologies OP for going off topic.

Airwire were top of my list until i saw they have a fair usage policy and are not totally unlimited?

I see on their website they are saying no cap now, that must be a recent change?

Apologies OP for going off topic.

As far as I recall Airwire have had no cap for a long time, so not a recent change to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Had the unfortunate experience of trying to cancel an Eir business line this afternoon. Jaysus!

Rang business support requesting cease,
    put through to loyalty team, did verficiation,
    transferred me to cancellations, guy in cancellations couldn't find account at all,
    transferred me to some other department who answered after ages,
    told me I need to talk to business loyalty team first :confused::mad::eek:.
    transferred to loyalty, but then told after 10 mins I was through to residential loyalty
    Transferred me to business loyalty, 10+ mins on hold call gets disconnected. Total Call Time: 1:35 hr
    FML

I finally got my broadband cancelled over the phone yesterday. Only took just under a year. Was transferred around to 3 different people and kept having to give them my account details and personal details and the story so far to each of them. The third lad was obnoxious trying to tell me its all done online if your switching and blaming sky. I explained to him that I was cancelling not switching. Of course they had no record of my two letters or that modem had been sent back. They only had a record of me trying to cancel via online chat last December.

At least now it should be cancelled and the penny might drop with them that I have not paid any of the bills they have sent me since last December.

To be honest it would not surprise me if they sent some money collection agency to my old address! Shower of incompetent wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Cancelled mine yesterday. Went fairly straight forward. (so far)

Called 1800 504 110(10 min wait time)

Got a link sent to email to confirm cancellation, which provided date of cease.

Address to send modem and was done.

If it works in the end, fairly painless!

Advertisement