Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA mistake

Options
  • 26-08-2019 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Flying to the US on Thursday and just realised I made a mistake filling out the ESTA form - my passport expiry date is one day out. So the passport expires on 11/10/21 and I put 10/10/21. All other details were entered correctly: date of birth, passport number, etc. Will it be a problem or is it grand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Flying to the US on Thursday and just realised I made a mistake filling out the ESTA form - my passport expiry date is one day out. So the passport expires on 11/10/21 and I put 10/10/21. All other details were entered correctly: date of birth, passport number, etc. Will it be a problem or is it grand?

you'll have to wait til they give you a decision i guess (pretty last minute if you just did it now) but I would think it's probably fine. while they are strict about stuff it's a really minor detail and not a security threat or something that would indicate you plan to overstay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You can't correct an existing ESTA, you can only apply for a new one. Personally I would apply for a new one, expiry date is one of the main identifiers for a passport and you would need to enter in when checking in. If it doesn't match the ESTA you won't be allowed to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

You can't correct an existing ESTA, you can only apply for a new one. Personally I would apply for a new one, expiry date is one of the main identifiers for a passport and you would need to enter in when checking in. If it doesn't match the ESTA you won't be allowed to check in.

From the FAQ
    “WHEN I TRY TO APPLY FOR ESTA, I GET A MESSAGE THAT ANOTHER APPLICATION ALREADY EXISTS.

If you are receiving an Error Message that says "There is already an application with that passport number in the system" it is because you have applied previously and have a valid application with more than 30 days validity. If any biographic information is not correct on the existing application, the application is not valid and you must click "continue" to proceed with the new application.”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

towger wrote: »
    From the FAQ
    “WHEN I TRY TO APPLY FOR ESTA, I GET A MESSAGE THAT ANOTHER APPLICATION ALREADY EXISTS.

If you are receiving an Error Message that says "There is already an application with that passport number in the system" it is because you have applied previously and have a valid application with more than 30 days validity. If any biographic information is not correct on the existing application, the application is not valid and you must click "continue" to proceed with the new application.”

That refers to an in-process application, not an approval which is what the OP has.

The advice from poster circular flexing is 100% correct, the OP should apply for a new one. There wil be no red flags, there are umpteen ways to mess up an application and very few fields can be modified afterwards so if you screw up, just apply for new one. The system will see that there is already a vald ESTA in place for that passport number and it will get cancelled as soon as the new one is approved.

Just to be clear, if the details on your passport do mot match what's on your ESTA approval, you will probably be turned away at US immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Thanks for the responses. I assumed because the ESTA application was approved that it would be fine. I'm glad I asked now because it sounds like I could possibly be turned away at immigration.

I just did a new ESTA application to be on the safe side. I just hope I've done it in time. The form and payment was submitted at 12pm today (Tuesday) and I'm flying (I hope!) at 12 on Thursday. The web site says you have to leave 72 hours. Does anyone know how long approval typically takes?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses. I assumed because the ESTA application was approved that it would be fine. I'm glad I asked now because it sounds like I could possibly be turned away at immigration.

It's not like a spelling mismatch on your booking and you're flying somewhere such that you only have to show your passport to an airline or ground handling agent employee at the boarding gate where the discrepancy will probably not be noticed.

In your case, there is no possibility that they will miss that mismatch because your passport will be scanned and the details compared to the ESTA approval so the first thing the US agent will see on his/her screen is that mismatch. And they may have no discretion to deal with you so you will be turned away.
    I just did a new ESTA application to be on the safe side. I just hope I've done it in time. The form and payment was submitted at 12pm today (Tuesday) and I'm flying (I hope!) at 12 on Thursday. The web site says you have to leave 72 hours. Does anyone know how long approval typically takes?

Can't remember how long my last (2016) ESTA took but if they're saying 72 hours, my guess is that there's a margin there and you'll easily get sorted in under 48 hours. The thing that can delay your approval is where there is someone with the same name as you on the 'no fly' list so someone in US Immigration has to manually approve you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Last time I got an ESTA I got approval in 7 minutes or something.

Last time I got an ESTA I got approval in 7 minutes or something.

They stopped doing approval in a matter of minutes a while back.

Late in 2018 by the looks of it.....

USA lengthens ESTA processing times: no more instant approvals

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not like a spelling mismatch on your booking and you're flying somewhere such that you only have to show your passport to an airline or ground handling agent employee at the boarding gate where the discrepancy will probably not be noticed.

In your case, there is no possibility that they will miss that mismatch because your passport will be scanned and the details compared to the ESTA approval so the first thing the US agent

I would say that the OP wouldn't make it past check in desk. I think passport details are matched at check in and a mis-typed expiry date effectively means that there is no valid ESTA for that passport.

I would say that the OP wouldn't make it past check in desk. I think passport details are matched at check in and a mis-typed expiry date effectively means that there is no valid ESTA for that passport.

Can the airline employee at the check-in desk see your ESTA details?

Or would the airline have sent the API data to the US authorities and they would have come back to say that there was a mismatch in the case of the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Can the airline employee at the check-in desk see your ESTA details?

Or would the airline have sent the API data to the US authorities and they would have come back to say that there was a mismatch in the case of the OP?

I don't think the airline employee can, but at Dublin airport they have the staff in the queue checking details, and I think those guys can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

is that fact or you just talking ****e ?

is that fact or you just talking ****e ?

Part of the purpose of ESTA is to allow airlines to pre-screen passengers and ensure that they are eligible to apply for entry to the US - given this purpose, I would be surprised if airlines can't see that a passenger has a valid ESTA (not necessarily the details of the ESTA).

Part of the purpose of ESTA is to allow airlines to pre-screen passengers and ensure that they are eligible to apply for entry to the US - given this purpose, I would be surprised if airlines can't see that a passenger has a valid ESTA (not necessarily the details of the ESTA).

The last time I was involved in a discussion on boards about travel to the US and API data, it was pointed out by someone that United do not allow you to supply advance API data on their website. Which (if that still applies) means that if you are flying with them, they have no details of your passport until you show up on the morning of the flight. In turn, that means there is no way they can tell if you have ESTA approval or not.

The last time I was involved in a discussion on boards about travel to the US and API data, it was pointed out by someone that United do not allow you to supply advance API data on their website. Which (if that still applies) means that if you are flying with them, they have no details of your passport until you show up on the morning of the flight. In turn, that means there is no way they can tell if you have ESTA approval or not.

I regularly fly United to the US (from Canada) and you can submit API on their website and you cannot check in online until you supply this info.

Canada has an ETA system (very similar to ESTA) and the check in agents can tell after they scan your passport if you have a valid ETA or not. I would be surprised if the same was not true for ESTA.

Advertisement