Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Work

Options
  • 26-08-2019 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a 2011 Nissan Leaf about a week ago. looking now at my home charging options.

Key thing: I live in a rented house and plan to move in a few months to my new permanent house.

So between now and then, I want to look at a cost effective way to get charging up and running at home.
    The landlord is ok with me doing work in regard to this.
    I know there is a grant but I dont want to use this grant until I move to my permanent home (this can indeed be done months after buying the car)
    Ive heard words like: priority switches, breakers, bypasses, upgraded cabling etc

My options are

(1) Install an external weatherproof 3 pin 13 amp socket and utilize this with the granny cable: https://www.adverts.ie/other/granny-cable-nissan-leaf/18583113
    I am guessing there are lots of people that plug in their granny cables to a standard 3 pin socket without a second thought and charge their car away and all works fine without priority switches, special cabling etc. I am presuming this external socket would be an ok option.

(2) Install a dedicated 16 amp car charger like this: https://www.adverts.ie/other/electri...point/18503556
    These home chargers come in 16 amp and 32 amp. Supposedly from what I read, the 32 amp needs special cabling and priority switches etc, whereas the 16 amp version does not, open to correction. This will cost me a bit more, about 100 euro for the charging unit.

Im trying to figure out if the cabling needed for option 2 would be the same as option 1 - and the only difference being that there is a 16 amp charger wired in instead of the 13 amp 3 pin socket.

I know these questions probably seem silly, but im just trying to get things clear in my head.
    Its all about being cost effective and not having to do the full proper job in a rented hose and then have to come along in a few months time and do it all over again in the permanent house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Put in a good quality outdoor socket, good for hovering the car and cutting the grass. Can be used by the next person too. It might be possible to take power from another socket in the hall or front room, depending on the loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Put in a good quality outdoor socket, good for hovering the car and cutting the grass. Can be used by the next person too. It might be possible to take power from another socket in the hall or front room, depending on the loads.

Thank you. So you reckon option 1 is ok? Does it need any special cabling, priority switches etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

obi604 wrote:
    Thank you. So you reckon option 1 is ok? Does it need any special cabling, priority switches etc?

I'm not an electrician so happy to be corrected but I think the priority switch is for using heavy duty chargers. They would be to stop you fast charging your car & running an electric shower at the same time.

I can't see how charging with a regular 3 pin plug would ever need a priority switch.

Would the 16 amp charger in option 2: https://www.adverts.ie/other/electri...point/18503556

have the same wiring involved as option 1? Or would it require extra cabling and priority switches etc due to it being regarded as a ‘heavy duty’ charger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A 16a charger would normally be connected directly to the fuse board on a dedicated rcbo. In Ireland they don’t like connecting fixed equipment like a charger to a socket circuit. It’s prefered to put it on its own circuit.

If you were staying in the house option 2 is the way to go. As your moving option 1 would be better.

• Advertisement

A 16a charger would normally be connected directly to the fuse board on a dedicated rcbo. In Ireland they don’t like connecting fixed equipment like a charger to a socket circuit. It’s prefered to put it on its own circuit.

If you were staying in the house option 2 is the way to go. As your moving option 1 would be better.

Thank you!!!

I know prices vary a lot.
    Let’s say distance from fuse board to charge point is 3 metres.

What would be the rough price of option 1 and option 2. Just ball park.

For the external weatherproof 13 amp socket install —> and for getting an electrician and based on what I have explained here..........do I even need to mention it will be used to charge an electric car? Or will this just over complicate matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you're going for option 2 there's no point not putting in a 32A system, same amount of cabling effort and they're not a whole lot more expensive. Some EVSEs have in built current limiting so you don't need a priority switch if you have an electric shower.

TheChizler wrote: »
    If you're going for option 2 there's no point not putting in a 32A system, same amount of cabling effort and they're not a whole lot more expensive. Some EVSEs have in built current limiting so you don't need a priority switch if you have an electric shower.

Ah ok. I thought with option 2 when it was just a 16 amp (versus a 32 amp) charger, that the work involved was same as the work for the external 13 amp outdoor plug.
    I.e. not complicated.

obi604 wrote: »
    For the external weatherproof 13 amp socket install —> and for getting an electrician and based on what I have explained here..........do I even need to mention it will be used to charge an electric car? Or will this just over complicate matters?

What do ye think on this? Worth mentioning or just stay quiet? (As nothing special needed for option 1 with granny cable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

If you are moving soon the easist option is to install an external socket make sure you get a good quality one as the load will be on for a long period while charging car

Granny Cable Load is usually max 10a so not really any need to inform Electrican what socket is to be used for

xl500 wrote: »
    If you are moving soon the easist option is to install an external socket make sure you get a good quality one as the load will be on for a long period while charging car

Granny Cable Load is usually max 10a so not really any need to inform Electrican what socket is to be used for

Perfect !! Just so I know, could you link a good quality socket.

Something like this: https://www.ie.screwfix.com/british-general-nexus-13a-1g-switch-socket.html

What makes one socket better over the other? Or what do I specifically need to get in a socket?

Perfect !! Just so I know, could you link a good quality socket.

Something like this: https://www.ie.screwfix.com/british-general-nexus-13a-1g-switch-socket.html

What makes one socket better over the other? Or what do I specifically need to get in a socket?

Well what makes one better than the next is the quality of the construction MK are great and for a 10a continuous Load I would like to have a really good socket with good strong connections

You also need to be sure the one you choose can take a Large moulded plug some granny cables have a large 13a moulded plug

Its the old adage you get what you pay for but the difference in the cost of the socket is minimal in the cost of the job if you are paying an Electrican to install

Like These

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-socket/98279

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-rcd-socket-passive/76855

Well what makes one better than the next is the quality of the construction MK are great and for a 10a continuous Load I would like to have a really good socket with good strong connections

You also need to be sure the one you choose can take a Large moulded plug some granny cables have a large 13a moulded plug

Its the old adage you get what you pay for but the difference in the cost of the socket is minimal in the cost of the job if you are paying an Electrican to install

Like These

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-socket/98279

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-rcd-socket-passive/76855

Thanks, are you specifying a 2 gang due to the large bulky nature of the granny?

And a single one may be too small?

Thanks, are you specifying a 2 gang due to the large bulky nature of the granny?

And a single one may be too small?

No its just I always would install a Double but if a Single suits you the no problem

Unless you are stuck for space on wall then the difference in price is minimal

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-1-gang-switched-socket/30703

You could always install MK socket now and replace it with cheaper option when moving and Take MK with you to new House

No its just I always would install a Double but if a Single suits you the no problem

Unless you are stuck for space on wall then the difference in price is minimal

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-1-gang-switched-socket/30703

You could always install MK socket now and replace it with cheaper option when moving and Take MK with you to new House

THANK YOU!

Is there such a thing as a lockable one? so when granny cable is plugged in , I could lock it.

THANK YOU!

Is there such a thing as a lockable one? so when granny cable is plugged in , I could lock it.

There are Lockable ones but if someone wants to Steal Granny Cable then they will break Socket Lid its only Plastic Better get a cable lock and lock Granny Cable to car wheel or if possible run granny cable through Car wheel but if outside granny cable will be vulnerable to theft

Depending on wheel you might be able to get 13a plug through it so just run cable through wheel

Like this but if they want it they will take it

https://insideevs.com/photo/3941946/how-to-protect-your-nissan-leaf-level-1-charger-from-theft-video/

There are Lockable ones but if someone wants to Steal Granny Cable then they will break Socket Lid its only Plastic Better get a cable lock and lock Granny Cable to car wheel or if possible run granny cable through Car wheel but if outside granny cable will be vulnerable to theft

Depending on wheel you might be able to get 13a plug through it so just run cable through wheel

Like this but if they want it they will take it

https://insideevs.com/photo/3941946/how-to-protect-your-nissan-leaf-level-1-charger-from-theft-video/

Brilliant thank you!

Thanks for all the brilliant help so far.
    Now to the install

Is there a regulation for how high sockets need to be from the ground. like in this house im in and most other houses, sockets seem to be usually 2ft above the ground.

can they be put higher or lower height etc

Reason I ask is because the granny cable has a transformer box on it that looks fairly heavy and bulky, the length of cable between plug and transformer box (white arrows) is fairly short, therefore the most likely thing is that the transformer box will be 'hanging' in mid air and put pressure on the plug etc when hanging constantly.

Any thoughts around this?

Maybe but a little holder for transformer box on wall so it does not 'hang' (as basic as a couple of screws maybe)

Now to the install

Is there a regulation for how high sockets need to be from the ground. like in this house im in and most other houses, sockets seem to be usually 2ft above the ground.

Reason I ask is because the granny cable has a transformer box on it that looks fairly heavy and bulky, the length of cable between plug and transformer box (white arrows) is fairly short, therefore the most likely thing is that the transformer box will be 'hanging' in mid air and put pressure on the plug etc when hanging constantly.

Maybe but a little holder for transformer box on wall so it does not 'hang' (as basic as a couple of screws maybe)

Just put a cable tie on cable below plug pull it tight cut off tail and it will sit on top of closed cover of socket taking the weight

• Advertisement

Just put a cable tie on cable below plug pull it tight cut off tail and it will sit on top of closed cover of socket taking the weight

Trying to make this out but can’t :)

Trying to make this out but can’t :)

Like this if you position cable tie just above where flex sits in Socket Cover when you close cover the cable tie will take the strain

Reason I ask is because the granny cable has a transformer box on it that looks fairly heavy and bulky
    Just FYI it's not a transformer, it's some electronics and relays for negotiating the connection with the car, so wouldn't be that heavy. No harm in supporting it still.

Like this if you position cable tie just above where flex sits in Socket Cover when you close cover the cable tie will take the strain

Ah yes. Have ya now.

Now to the install

For External 3 pin sockets, is there an ideal height to have them at. 2 ft off the ground is it? Or best to put them higher?

For External 3 pin sockets, is there an ideal height to have them at. 2 ft off the ground is it? Or best to put them higher?

Anyone on this? May have electrician coming today.

So even If I was to just buy and install the 16 amp charger, I still need to do the priority switches, cabling back to fuse board. etc

i.e. is the electricians work the same for a 16 amp charger and 32 amp charger install?

So even If I was to just buy and install the 16 amp charger, I still need to do the priority switches, cabling back to fuse board. etc

i.e. is the electricians work the same for a 16 amp charger and 32 amp charger install?
    You only really need the priority switch for 32A if you have an electric shower or some other high current device, an induction hob maybe, or if the EVSE doesn't have it built in like the Zappi for instance. If you already have a lot going on in your house it might be sensible to get a priority switch even for 16A.

There's very little difference in cost and labour running a 32A or a 16A cable. If it's only a couple of metres the difference in material costs would be only a few Euro.

You only really need the priority switch for 32A if you have an electric shower or some other high current device, an induction hob maybe, or if the EVSE doesn't have it built in like the Zappi for instance. If you already have a lot going on in your house it might be sensible to get a priority switch even for 16A.

There's very little difference in cost and labour running a 32A or a 16A cable. If it's only a couple of metres the difference in material costs would be only a few Euro.

Thanks, so high level:

--> Electrician work for install of 16 amp or 32 amp charger is more a less the same work involved and could be a few hundred? (then have to add the cost of buying the actual charge point too)

--> Electrician work for install of external weatherproof socket would be around 100 and is not as tricky as above

• Advertisement

Thanks, so high level:

--> Electrician work for install of 16 amp or 32 amp charger is more a less the same work involved and could be a few hundred? (then have to add the cost of buying the actual charge point too)

--> Electrician work for install of external weatherproof socket would be around 100 and is not as tricky as above

Not really installing a 16a unit would most likely not require a Priority unit whereas installing a 32a unit would most likely require one

Advertisement