Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

xl500 wrote: »
    Not really installing a 16a unit would most likely not require a Priority unit whereas installing a 32a unit would most likely require one

Ah ok. Thank you. But I suppose all this depends on the electrician that comes to do the job and what he or she thinks about it........ if I can ever bloody get one :)
    What would be the price difference in Priority V no priority ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you have any high power appliances? Like an electric shower or induction hob?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Do you have any high power appliances? Like an electric shower or induction hob?

Have an electric shower but hasn’t been used in a year I’d say. It’s in a spare room and rarely used.

The main shower we use is not electric, think it’s called a pump/power shower, decent power in it. Would this affect things?

We have no induction hob.

The electric shower would require a priority switch all right, or an EVSE with built-in limiter. Power shower wouldn't be a huge draw.

The socket is probably your easiest option, and it saves having to get an electrician out of you wanted to bring your EVSE with you when you leave.

The electric shower would require a priority switch all right, or an EVSE with built-in limiter. Power shower wouldn't be a huge draw.

The socket is probably your easiest option, and it saves having to get an electrician out of you wanted to bring your EVSE with you when you leave.

Thanks !!

What do you think of this scenario posted by a boards user from another thread:

“Get the electrician to install a 16 amp camping socket outside like so..[url] https://www.seaflo-uk.com/16-amp-plug-and-socket-cable-hook-up-ip44-waterproof-motorhome-caravan-camping-10043-p.asp [/url]

get the 16 amp charger, and small length of wire and attach the plug to it. Screw charger unit to wall beside the socket, when you move house unplug and unscrew and bring it with you.

No need for priority switches, if its 16 amp.”

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks !!

What do you think of this scenario posted by a boards user from another thread:

“Get the electrician to install a 16 amp camping socket outside like so.. https://www.seaflo-uk.com/16-amp-plug-and-socket-cable-hook-up-ip44-waterproof-motorhome-caravan-camping-10043-p.asp

get the 16 amp charger, and small length of wire and attach the plug to it. Screw charger unit to wall beside the socket, when you move house unplug and unscrew and bring it with you.

No need for priority switches, if its 16 amp.”

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Bump

why would you do that if you are moving soon you would be leaving a 16a socket outside not much use to anyone wheras a normal outdoor 13a socket could be used by new people for any number of uses

If you have Granny Cable simplest option is to install outdoor socket and use it until you move

xl500 wrote: »
    why would you do that if you are moving soon you would be leaving a 16a socket outside not much use to anyone wheras a normal outdoor 13a socket could be used by new people for any number of uses

If you have Granny Cable simplest option is to install outdoor socket and use it until you move

Just the handy-ness factor, tethered cable, plug it in and job done. As opposed to messing with the granny cable.

Just the handy-ness factor, tethered cable, plug it in and job done. As opposed to messing with the granny cable.
    You still would have to wire a plug to your EVSE in that case. I'm not sure if that's technically allowed. All it would save you over wiring directly is calling an electrician to disconnect the EVSE when you leave.

What messing is there with plugging in a Granny cable? You could potentially leave it permanently plugged into the wall socket.

I have contacted a few electricians, some are saying I don't need a priority switch for a 16 amp charger, is this true?

• Advertisement

You still would have to wire a plug to your EVSE in that case. I'm not sure if that's technically allowed. All it would save you over wiring directly is calling an electrician to disconnect the EVSE when you leave.

What messing is there with plugging in a Granny cable? You could potentially leave it permanently plugged into the wall socket.

I suppose your right. there isnt really much messing, just seems the tethered is very handy and gives a faster charge etc.

if I leave in, would need a way to lock it and maybe cover the 'transformer' box.

I have contacted a few electricians, some are saying I don't need a priority switch for a 16 amp charger, is this true?

Running a 10 kW shower and charging your car at the same time would put you up at around 60 A out of your total import capacity of 64 A, wouldn't take much else to put you over. Probably wouldn't cause anything to go boom (immediately) but it's kind of cutting it fine IMO.
    I suppose your right. there isnt really much messing, just seems the tethered is very handy and gives a faster charge etc.

if I leave in, would need a way to lock it and maybe cover the 'transformer' box.

Tethered absolutely is very handy but I'm struggling to see what advantage using your 16 A socket would bring :)

Running a 10 kW shower and charging your car at the same time would put you up at around 60 A out of your total import capacity of 64 A, wouldn't take much else to put you over. Probably wouldn't cause anything to go boom (immediately) but it's kind of cutting it fine IMO.

Is this in regard to the 16 amp charger scenario?

Is this in regard to the 16 amp charger scenario?
    Yes, should have quoted you sorry.

Tethered absolutely is very handy but I'm struggling to see what advantage using your 16 A socket would bring :)

16 A tethered will charge the car quicker. Not sure on how much quicker versus the granny cable. Any thoughts? my car is 24kw and battery health is at 76% so presume this is 18 kw that has to be charged, but most likely less as will never be down to zero etc

And the fact that it will probably take 30 seconds longer to connect the granny cable :) (a first world problems at its highest ) :)))

16 A tethered will charge the car quicker. Not sure on how much quicker versus the granny cable. Any thoughts? my car is 24kw and battery health is at 76% so presume this is 18 kw that has to be charged, but most likely less as will never be down to zero etc

And the fact that it will probably take 30 seconds longer to connect the granny cable :) (a first world problems at its highest ) :)))
    1.6 times faster potentially if the granny cable maxes out at 10 A.

If you're going with the grant I wouldn't be sure if the outdoor 16 A socket is acceptable in the path between the distribution board and the EVSE, the installation has to be certified by a REC. You would have to check with the electrician.

If you're going with the grant I wouldn't be sure if the outdoor 16 A socket is acceptable in the path between the distribution board and the EVSE, the installation has to be certified by a REC. You would have to check with the electrician.

D’oh

Noted. Again, Thank you.

Another stupid question. Let’s say there was NO outdoor 16 A socket involved and the cabling was done directly to the EVSE car charger - at the time I moved, could the EVSE be removed and replaced with a standard 3 pin external socket? (Or does the cabling ‘fit’)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Another stupid question. Let’s say there was NO outdoor 16 A socket involved and the cabling was done directly to the EVSE car charger - at the time I moved, could the EVSE be removed and replaced with a standard 3 pin external socket? (Or does the cabling ‘fit’)

Yes. If he runs 2.5 sq from the board (assuming a short run), fit 20a rcbo in the board, you could just do a straight swap of the charger for an outdoor socket.

Yes. If he runs 2.5 sq from the board (assuming a short run), fit 20a rcbo in the board, you could just do a straight swap of the charger for an outdoor socket.

Thank you!

• Advertisement

Another question for ye learned electrical folk. I bought a little ‘Carista’ dongle thing to plug in to the car to monitor the battery etc.
    I’ve noticed that it stays lit up all the time, there is always a little light on even after hours of car bing idle. I’m worried that it may drain the 12.5 V standard battery.

I mailed Carista and got this reply: "Power consumption-wise, the adapter draws around 45mAh @ exactly 12V"

Is this enough to potentially drain the battery if left plugged in all the time?

Are the public charge cables prone to being stolen? Or are they more a less locked to the esb machine and hard to steal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are the public charge cables prone to being stolen? Or are they more a less locked to the esb machine and hard to steal?

They wired in so they cannot be (easily) stolen.
    I've only seen one case of them being stolen so far and that was in Germany.

ethernet wrote: »
    They wired in so they cannot be (easily) stolen.
    I've only seen one case of them being stolen so far and that was in Germany.

Good to hear.

Anyone have much knowledge on the theft levels of granny chargers?

Advertisement