Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eir broadband and wifi in the house,need wifi in garage.

• 26-08-2019 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭

hi all I,ve eir in the house and can pick up the wifi in the yard outside but if I go down to my garage ive lost the wifi so need to come up 20 ft from the garage and I can pick up the wifi,but cannot pick it up in the garage as its just outside the wifi range.anything I can do to get wifi in the garage ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does the garage have its own "fuse box"? If not then powerline adapters might work quite well. If yes then its iffy.

Alternative to powerline would be something like a Nanostation on the side of the house. Depending on shed construction you might just need that or you might need a pair and then an access point inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

ED E wrote: »
    Does the garage have its own "fuse box"? If not then powerline adapters might work quite well. If yes then its iffy.

Alternative to powerline would be something like a Nanostation on the side of the house. Depending on shed construction you might just need that or you might need a pair and then an access point inside.

no fuse box in the garage,but theres a cable coming from the attic of the house to garage for some plug sockets and light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

bassy wrote: »
    no fuse box in the garage,but theres a cable coming from the attic of the house to garage for some plug sockets and light.

Look at TP-link WPA4220kit on Amazon as an example. Powerline with Ethernet ports and wifi extender to boot. If you can find similar with 3 pin power input built in also, you get to keep a socket.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Look at TP-link WPA4220kit on Amazon as an example. Powerline with Ethernet ports and wifi extender to boot. If you can find similar with 3 pin power input built in also, you get to keep a socket.

stupid question,but why are there ethernet sockets on the powerline plugs?,do I need to plug in a ethernet cable from 1 of my 1 to 4 ports to the ethernet socket on the powerline plug?.

how about these ??.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9156900.htm

Put one in beside your eir router, ethernet between the two.

Second one in the shed. They "talk" over the ESB cables which is a bodge but a bodge the often works quite well (using them now myself).

The argos ones are both ethernet only, you want a pair that has wifi in one (that would go in the shed). Argos is good as theyve a no qualms return policy if they happen to not work (its a bodge as above).

• Advertisement

stupid question,but why are there ethernet sockets on the powerline plugs?,do I need to plug in a ethernet cable from 1 of my 1 to 4 ports to the ethernet socket on the powerline plug?.

how about these ??.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9156900.htm

One powerline goes beside your router, and you run a short Ethernet cable from that to one of the Ethernet ports on the router.

The other one goes in your garage. To connect, there is a small Button on each one and you press each button within 90 seconds of each other and they automatically find each other.

The extender now gives you wifi as it is on the network, may be different SSID unless you do a bit more work, I think (I did it with mine) but you also have Ethernet ports on the extender to plug in a PC or laptop Ethernet cable and you have a wired network in your garage along with the wifi.

These are a little slow but if its only to support one user (family in the house, yourself out working for example) then would be just dandy.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE+KIT.htm

As Ed E said, the first one is Ethernet with no wifi

The second one is Ethernet and wifi combined.

You asked for wifi in your OP.

Passthroughs have no wifi, no use unless you want to buy an additional device (not as user friendly to setup).

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    As Ed E said, the first one is Ethernet with no wifi

The second one is Ethernet and wifi combined.

You asked for wifi in your OP.

so this one would give me both ethernet connection and wifi in the garage
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE+KIT.htm

so this one would give me both ethernet connection and wifi in the garage

Yes

thanks guys and sorry for wrecking your heads lol,cheers.

Advertisement