Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

• 26-08-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm awaiting a referral to a Rheumatologist and as I have health insurance I'm being referred privately. I've just realised though that my health insurance doesn't cover me for private hospitals. I don't mind to go private and pay consultant fees but can I then go back to public hospital if I need scans etc as I wouldn't be covered for them in private hospital?

On another note, my health insurance is due for renewal literally this week and I'm going to try to get a better plan but are there still waiting times if you improve your plan?

Its all so complicated! Not to mention expensive!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, there will be waiting periods as you have the dreaded pre existing condition but I would absolutely upgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

You will have to wait like everyone else for scans unless you pay privately for them. You could be waiting months to have them depending on what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Give them a ring and talk through your cover.

If you are just seeing rheumy as an outpatient, that can be done in a private hospital no problem. Most plans I've come across don't pay for the consultation in full, maybe about half. Its procedures and hospital stays in private hospitals that probably aren't covered on your current plan. You are probably covered for private care in a public hospital I would guess.

Advertisement