Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk getting City status

Options
  • 27-08-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a few things online about the likes of Dundalk and possibly Drogheda getting city status,

https://www.dundalk.ie/invest-in-dundalk/area-profile

How likely is this and what if any will be first to become a city? Possibly Dundalk as county town? I was quite impressed with all the housing developments going on in the outskirts of Dundalk and also from the applications going in.

What are the locals views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Congratulations on the misleading headline of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

dave 27 wrote: »
    Just looking at a few things online about the likes of Dundalk and possibly Drogheda getting city status,

Hence known as the Greater Dundalk Conurbation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Has there been much talk about the idea on any radio stations or papers? its a probability that in the next census the population should certainly reflect something that resembles the size of a small city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Drogheda has been the size of waterford for years, possibly bigger at this stage, I wouldn't hold my breath for city status

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk is nowhere resembling a city. I say that as a local.

C’mon the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What do you mean by city, op? By most standards Dundalk is already a city although the fact its now run at county level dents our chances a bit. I think the main problem of Dundalk being "designated" a city is that there are another dozen towns that would also want city status.

I agree with Srameen, not sure if your op title is meant to be clickbait or if its just clumsy wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've never really understood why these towns are so eager to have city status. What are the benefits? Or is it purely a 'status symbol'?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Scotty # wrote: »
    I've never really understood why these towns are so eager to have city status. What are the benefits? Or is it purely a 'status symbol'?
    More status than anything and good tourism PR. The boundary review should have gone Drogheda's way on so many grounds and that would have boosted it to 50K and beyond and a prime candidate to be granted city status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

antix80 wrote: »
    What do you mean by city, op? By most standards Dundalk is already a city although the fact its now run at county level dents our chances a bit. I think the main problem of Dundalk being "designated" a city is that there are another dozen towns that would also want city status.

I agree with Srameen, not sure if your op title is meant to be clickbait or if its just clumsy wording.

By City I mean have a serious debate whether Dundalk wants to become a city in the near future. A town getting city status will boost tourism and its identity across the country, not to mention possible knock on effects like higher number of jobs from IDA as it is a centre of importance, better funding etc.

I apologise about the heading, it wasn't intended on being click bait! :o

Im not sure what the boundary situation is but it may need to be looked at/increased to take in the greater population to acknowledge the true population.

Limerick's boundary had been stuck for decades in the same position, when it was recently changes it literally doubled in population taking in its growing suburbs, it may not be an issue for Dundalk but certainly it has a lot of grounds and reason for city status.

Does it get talked about much in local media?

dave 27 wrote: »
    Does it get talked about much in local media?

No. It was talked about years ago when Newry was ceremonially promoted to city status but the mechanism would be different in the Republic of Ireland.

Every so often when DKIT is looking for more funding they talk about becoming a university and this will allow the town to become a city. Apparently.

I'm not sure we really have a mechanism to designate cities. We inherited the cities Britain kindly returned to us as cities, and hobbled together some legislation around those facts that ended up with Kilkenny being described as a city because Phil Hogan said so. (per wikipedia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What are the locals going to say, now they can't say "hup the town!"

Need to decent hospital services first.

Ireland has 5 cities ( leaving out big Phil’s Kilkenny, though it does have a hospital) and all have respectable hospitals. Dundalk hasn’t. It had once but not for some time.

Newry was made a City because of the Northern situation (England, Scotland, Wales each got a new city to celebrate the queens 50th jubilee in 2002 (or something) and Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland had to get 2. One for me and one for you. Newry is no more a ‘ real’ city than Athlone, Sligo or Navan.

* Preston ( England) Stirling (Scotland) Newport (Wales) and Lisburn and Newry. ( one each :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Every so often when DKIT is looking for more funding they talk about becoming a university and this will allow the town to become a city. Apparently.

Every now and again, people trot out this 'definition' of a city as being a place that has a university and a cathedral.

A. That's Bull5hit.
    B. Dundalk does't have a cathedral either!

Every now and again, people trot out this 'definition' of a city as being a place that has a university and a cathedral.

A. That's Bull5hit.

You forgot hospital.. I read it in a thread on boards.

I think it should also have a duck tour and an Ethiopian restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A. That's Bull5hit.

Dundalk has a fine cathedral.

Nah.. the bishop moved out and Fr Mark took it over.

A. That's Bull5hit.

St. Patrick's in Dundalk is a cathedral. It was designated such when it held the cathedra of Cardinal Conway, who lived in Dundalk at the time. Wiki incorrectly refers to it as a pro-cathedral.

A. That's Bull5hit.

A) it is bull ****
    B ) it certainly has ,(Dublin has only one, minority religion) anyway it’s more bull****.

Dundalk is not a city. Full stop.

C’mon the town

Really? Where?

You're not referring to the Church of St. Patrick, are you?

Or perhaps you know better than the Archdiocese as to what it actually is?

St. Patrick's in Dundalk is a cathedral. It was designated such when it held the cathedra of Cardinal Conway, who lived in Dundalk at the time. Wiki incorrectly refers to it as a pro-cathedral.

May have been in the past, but no longer.

• Advertisement

... a duck tour ...

Yeah!!

May have been in the past, but no longer.

It was never relegated and remains with the bishop of Armagh as the designated parish priest. Not that it matters, as having a cathedral is not a requirement for city status anyway.

It was never relegated and remains with the bishop of Armagh as the designated parish priest. Not that it matters, as having a cathedral is not a requirement for city status anyway.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/archbishop-no-longer-pp-of-st-patricks-parish-37167714.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Q?

Is a pro-cathedral better than an amateur cathedral?

Q?

Is a pro-cathedral better than an amateur cathedral?

Absolutely. Bigger collections on the plate.

Advertisement