Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I push for a refund

Options
  • 27-08-2019 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Hopefully you can advise me.
    I recently checked my credit card statement and noticed a payment to Norton antivirus for €109
    It turns out I have been paying a yearly subscription for since 2007 !! it was work related and the email address used has not been active since then.

I am fully aware that I have been negligent in so far as I should have spotted this years ago.

I contacted Norton, they refunded the recent payment immediately and with further correspondance also refunded the previous years. 

Firstly, I do not believe I would not have chosen 'Auto-renew' and I have asked Norton for proof of this but they have not provided it.
    Secondly, as normal my credit card expired and I received a new one with a different number and expiry date. Is it normal for a payment to be taken with no correspondance from myself, since the initial set up ?

Norton have admitted that they can see that the product was not used.
    Norton have now offered a final settlement of a further years payment (so, three in total) 

My question for you really relates to the use of the credit card, would Norton be authorised to take a payment after the new card was issued ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Firstly, I do not believe I would not have chosen 'Auto-renew' and I have asked Norton for proof of this but they have not provided it. Secondly, as normal my credit card expired and I received a new one with a different number and expiry date. Is it normal for a payment to be taken with no correspondance from myself, since the initial set up ?

I think Norton defaults to Auto Renew and you have to deselect it after subscription payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Originally posted by am i bovvered
    Firstly, I do not believe I would not have chosen 'Auto-renew' and I have asked Norton for proof of this but they have not provided it. Secondly, as normal my credit card expired and I received a new one with a different number and expiry date. Is it normal for a payment to be taken with no correspondance from myself, since the initial set up ?

I think Norton defaults to Auto Renew and you have to deselect it after subscription payment.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Do you know if an extra authorisation is required with each renewal of the credit card (different number and expiry date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on boards.

We are aware that MasterCard offers a service called Automated Billing Updater (ABU), this enables them to provide updated card details for some companies, it would be in place to ensure continuous payments are not affected by replacement cards.

I have attached a link with more information on this for you.

https://globalrisk.mastercard.com/online_resource/automatic-billing-updater/

I hope this helps answer your query.

Thanks, Aisling.

Advertisement