Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unacompanied drivers

• 27-08-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Just a quick enquiry here,

What happens to the 1600 cars that have been impounded?

Are they auctioned off?

If so, where does the money go?

Does it go towards funding more Gardai on our streets?

If not, then I think a good few of us would Really like to know where it is re-directed to.

Anyone got any answers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd imagine a lot of the cars are reclaimed.

I know proceeds from auctioning off stolen items, goes to the state. Probably the same with confiscated cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

impounded cars are held until they are reclaimed by their owners. they do not become property of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In the event that they are not reclaimed, they are scrapped. I don’t know what exactly happens with the money though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What happens if you don't produce a learner permit at one of these checkpoints and instead produce at a Garda station and pay the fine there aswell. Would they come to your residence and take your car away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

We need a fleet of mobile car crushers. Unaccompanied learner caught, crusher is called, car is crushed and the remains are dropped off at the drivers home address, along with the bill for the crushing and call out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ireland seizes cars from unaccompanied learners? Keepsies, or how do you get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do they have to pay impound fees if the car is scrapped? Would hate to see that fee go away.

Advertisement