Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current cost per point - new build

Options
  • 27-08-2019 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

Any guidance on typical price per point in a new build - agreed pricing for overall job based on original requirements documented, but Electrican quoting 80 per extra point plus vat in the house and 100 per point in the garage plus vat. Garage has fuse board wired already and no chasing required. Way above what I paid previously but want to know if this is the going rate now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Qelres.

80 is not bad ,but it depends how many

If there's a lot you'd want a bulk discount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Casati

Qelres. wrote: »
    80 is not bad ,but it depends how many

If there's a lot you'd want a bulk discount

House is being wired at the moment so it’s a small number of extra sockets but they are on site anyway, the ones in the garage are within 5 meters of the fuse board.

Seems v expensive to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Casati wrote: »
    House is being wired at the moment so it’s a small number of extra sockets but they are on site anyway, the ones in the garage are within 5 meters of the fuse board.

Seems v expensive to me

It is expensive, but it's about average. Sad truth is getting electrical work done is expensive these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Qelres.

They could do if for less but its not off the charts extortionate

Leave the garage til later or get a price for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bear in mind the cable etc. is much more expensive nowadays. Very fair price to my mind.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Bear in mind the cable etc. is much more expensive nowadays. Very fair price to my mind.

Yeah 50 cent a metre and sockets are avg of 5 meters from the board so that’s 2.50 each. Add to that 3 quid for a double socket and you can see why they charge 100 quid a socket 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Garage has fuse board wired already and no chasing required.

so i'm going to take a stab at it hes going surface?? or is it slabbed and hes going fishing in behind??
    Yeah 50 cent a metre and sockets are avg of 5 meters from the board so that’s 2.50 each. Add to that 3 quid for a double socket and you can see why they charge 100 quid a socket ��

All of which he'll do in no time at all! Nerve on him!
    Sure doesn't he have a free van and insurance and it runs on solar
    and no fees to pay or life to live past that! No kids or childcare and runs on fresh air.. let alone he doesn't pay 51% tax on top of that!!

Get real lad will ya! :rolleyes:
    What is it you do for a living that you're cheap??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hedzball wrote: »
    so i'm going to take a stab at it hes going surface?? or is it slabbed and hes going fishing in behind??

All of which he'll do in no time at all! Nerve on him!
    Sure doesn't he have a free van and insurance and it runs on solar
    and no fees to pay or life to live past that! No kids or childcare and runs on fresh air.. let alone he doesn't pay 51% tax on top of that!!

Get real lad will ya! :rolleyes:
    What is it you do for a living that you're cheap??

Maybe he should quote an hourly rate, 100 per point sounds very excessive.

How long per point ? 40 minutes?

Allowing for costs. It’s far higher than the union rates:
    https://www.connectunion.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Electrical-Contracting-Rates-Card-2018.pdf

You're being fleeced.

If you're in my general area (Louth) gimme a PM and I'll send you the number of a chap that more than likely won't ride you sideways.

ted1 wrote: »

I'm going to hazard a guess that it being a "new build" and it being "already wired" its in an housing estate and these are extras where hes lobbing on.

He might be pricing himself out of the job. The fact that its more expensive in the garage I would also assume (I am fully open to correction) that he isn't in fact using 3euro sockets more so IP rated outdoor sockets as most of us would. Hence the extra few quid.

I'm not up to date on prices of gear in terms of that but a ip66 hager ds is about 26 ish ex . nymj is 85ex .. so close on 1.15 a metre. if its surface you also have clips to add to the mix. Maybe even an RCBO if he really fancies himself. call that 30 a point. he's seeing 70.. minus all his over heads and then give 51% to the tax man. :rolleyes:

He could also be pricing himself out of the job.. are you tied to this electrician?

• Advertisement

You do realise that union rates are what an employer pays an employee??

There isn't a self employed electrician in the country charging 23e an hour for himself :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Any guidance on typical price per point in a new build - agreed pricing for overall job based on original requirements documented, but Electrican quoting 80 per extra point plus vat in the house and 100 per point in the garage plus vat. Garage has fuse board wired already and no chasing required. Way above what I paid previously but want to know if this is the going rate now?

Literally only priced a new build the other day for a good customer of mine wouldn't even consider doing a new build normally. I priced it at €100 plus Vat per standard socket/switch point and €130 per point plus vat for each recessed light and smoke detector etc. Added I think around €600 for the fuse board and another €800 for the heating. Total cost came in around €23000.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

You do realise that union rates are what an employer pays an employee??

There isn't a self employed electrician in the country charging 23e an hour for himself :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh but there is a few out there subbing for €23 per hour even though there is contractors paying €30 per hour to employees make sense of that one.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it being a "new build" and it being "already wired" its in an housing estate and these are extras where hes lobbing on.

He might be pricing himself out of the job. The fact that its more expensive in the garage I would also assume (I am fully open to correction) that he isn't in fact using 3euro sockets more so IP rated outdoor sockets as most of us would. Hence the extra few quid.

I'm not up to date on prices of gear in terms of that but a ip66 hager ds is about 26 ish ex . nymj is 85ex .. so close on 1.15 a metre. if its surface you also have clips to add to the mix. Maybe even an RCBO if he really fancies himself. call that 30 a point. he's seeing 70.. minus all his over heads and then give 51% to the tax man. :rolleyes:

He could also be pricing himself out of the job.. are you tied to this electrician?

House is one off build. No external rated sockets will be used in the garage as it built to same spec as the main house,( bar surface wiring). Using surface conduit and charging extra for that two. No fishing needed

I’m tied to him for extras points internally but not this extra garage work so based on feedback I’ll leave that work till post build

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

S
    Risteard81 wrote: »

Yeah 50 cent a metre and sockets are avg of 5 meters from the board so that’s 2.50 each. Add to that 3 quid for a double socket and you can see why they charge 100 quid a socket 🀔
    Since when are socket-outlets an average of 5 metres from the DB? The drops into the DB and socket-outlet would be near 5 metres before the cable travels anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Allowing for costs. It’s far higher than the union rates:
    https://www.connectunion.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Electrical-Contracting-Rates-Card-2018.pdf

:pac::D

Advertisement