Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council property inspection

Options
  • 27-08-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recieved a letter from Dublin City Council about an inspection in a few weeks.

Has anyone had any experience of these inspections? I am assuming it is a random selection as I have a good relationship with tenants and rent is below the market rates so I can't imagine that they have complained.

It is an appartment and I can't envisage any problems they would have as it is in reasonalbe condition and any appliances or repairs are always carried out promptly etc!

My only concern is that they pay direct debit and don't have a rent book or have never sent them statements about rent as I thought that the direct debit is a de facto statement of payment!

Any experiences or hints please!!!

Thanks DK Man :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/17/made/en/print

Yeah I had an inspection b4
    The rent book is req so issue books (not the threshold ones @€;5 and given there anti LL don’t subscribe) buy ordinary small note books any spar/centra
    It is an outdated requirement imo even when most pay DD and rtb registration has all tenants details

Make sure all rooms are blocked free vented (I had a tenant who removed the smoke/fire detectors and bathroom fan) fire blankets and escape plans a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

A box ticking exercise in my experience. Some pen pushers picks out a modern built apartment block, arranges a number of inspections, finds faults ( OMG the gas boiler is overdue a service! ) issues a reminder and at the end of the year produces a report.
    Meanwhile Dublin City Council properties are neglected and allowed deterirate due to dampness, lack of ventilation and delayed maintenance. Tenants notify the Council of faults and nothing done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Edgware wrote: »
    A box ticking exercise in my experience. Some pen pushers picks out a modern built apartment block, arranges a number of inspections, finds faults ( OMG the gas boiler is overdue a service! ) issues a reminder and at the end of the year produces a report.
    Meanwhile Dublin City Council properties are neglected and allowed deterirate due to dampness, lack of ventilation and delayed maintenance. Tenants notify the Council of faults and nothing done

So much wrong in this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

have a search through boards...ive posted a lot of detail recently on a HAP inspection.

Window restrictors will be a requirement if apartment is on any floor other than ground floor. Ensure you have the basics such as carbon monoxide if gas and fire blanket and fire extinguisher.

Inspections are being carried out for HAP properties at the moment...havent heard of any that are not HAP but maybe council has more resources now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most of the inspectors don't even know the correct standards, had a clown tell me that the trickle vents on the windows weren't good enough due to the size of the rooms, I fitted slate vents on the roof and Duct pipes down through the attic as walls are stone so no option to drill wall vents

Turned out none of this was necessary as said standards don't apply to old houses

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Most of the inspectors don't even know the correct standards, had a clown tell me that the trickle vents on the windows weren't good enough due to the size of the rooms, I fitted slate vents on the roof and Duct pipes down through the attic as walls are stone so no option to drill wall vents

Turned out none of this was necessary as said standards don't apply to old houses

Under HAP, they would apply.
    There are items that are technically building regulations from newer editions that are been applied to older houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

kceire wrote: »

There are items that are technically building regulations from newer editions that are been applied to older houses.

What is the specific rule that requires additional standards under HAP.

And if HAP requires a higher standard then non HAP rental properties - what's the reasoning .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Old diesel wrote: »

And if HAP requires a higher standard then non HAP rental properties - what's the reasoning .

It basically goes like this.

Lawmakers create a law with a wishy washy phrase like "habitable rooms must have adequate ventilation".

The housing authorities and inspectors say, "what does that mean exactly?".

So they tell some person in the Department of Housing to write out guidelines for the inspectors. They have no idea what it means either and probably have next to zero actual experience in any relevant areas, so they pull out the current building standards at the time and copy paste a fair bit of it into the guidelines for minimum standards in rental accomodation.

And then its enshrined in a document forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It basically goes like this.

Lawmakers create a law with a wishy washy phrase like "habitable rooms must have adequate ventilation".

The housing authorities and inspectors say, "what does that mean exactly?".

So they tell some person in the Department of Housing to write out guidelines for the inspectors. They have no idea what it means either and probably have next to zero actual experience in any relevant areas, so they pull out the current building standards at the time and copy paste a fair bit of it into the guidelines for minimum standards in rental accomodation.

And then its enshrined in a document forever.

The issue of insufficient guidence for inspectors should have applied for non HAP too though.

As in the question of what "constitutes adequate ventilation" should be relevant to all properties as should the clarification guidelines.

Like how come the inspectors need clarification on what adequate ventilation means when it's a HAP property but not when it's non HAP.

Where is the specific rule that says that a house could fail for HAP but then pass with the exact same inspector 6 weeks later when it's non HAP.*

*I'm making up this hypothetical scenario which I think should be possible if HAP standards are genuinely different to non HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had one of those inspections many moons ago and she said I had no firefighting equipment in the kitchen and no suitable smoke alarms, I brought her back inside and pointed out the fire extinguisher and fire blanket on the wall in the kitchen and the 10 year battery smoke alarms that she missed.

Check whatever they say while they are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Like how come the inspectors need clarification on what adequate ventilation means when it's a HAP property but not when it's non HAP.

Where is the specific rule that says that a house could fail for HAP but then pass with the exact same inspector 6 weeks later when it's non HAP.*

*I'm making up this hypothetical scenario which I think should be possible if HAP standards are genuinely different to non HAP.

Maybe the council have extra responsibilities to tenants they are subsidising? If the tenant is non-hap and there's any issue they are not involved.
    Edit: just curious but did the council have different regulations for rent supplement tenants? Does anyone know?
    I remember reading a thread about the standards required if a 'LL was long term leasing to the council.

Are councils covering themselves when they are involved and not too concerned about private tenants? It's hard to think otherwise when you read reports about overcrowding and bad conditions.

Not saying 'LLs are not responsible but it seems council inspections are mostly in properties they are financially connected to.

In my case the failure of my trickle vents will cause damage as the Duct pipe going from the opening in the ceiling to the slate vent on the roof will create dampness in the attic

Never underestimate the lack of common sense inherent in civil servants

If the book says to eat the poison, you eat it

Maybe the council have extra responsibilities to tenants they are subsidising? If the tenant is non-hap and there's any issue they are not involved.
    Edit: just curious but did the council have different regulations for rent supplement tenants? Does anyone know?
    I remember reading a thread about the standards required if a 'LL was long term leasing to the council.

Are councils covering themselves when they are involved and not too concerned about private tenants? It's hard to think otherwise when you read reports about overcrowding and bad conditions.

Not saying 'LLs are not responsible but it seems council inspections are mostly in properties they are financially connected to.

Pity the council don't give a sh1t what happens to the property once the tenant is in place

In my case the failure of my trickle vents will cause damage as the Duct pipe going from the opening in the ceiling to the slate vent on the roof will create dampness in the attic

Why would it create dampness in the attic?
    It should be a slate vent, with flaps to allow the felt to continue around the vent and pulled up to stop any water that gets in there to continue down to the gutter.

If the work is done properly, you should have no dampness.

Never underestimate the lack of common sense inherent in dodgy builders/landlords.

Regards,
    LL & Public Servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It should be a slate vent, with flaps to allow the felt to continue around the vent and pulled up to stop any water that gets in there to continue down to the gutter.

Never underestimate the lack of common sense inherent in dodgy builders/landlords.

Regards,
    LL & Public Servant.

Its nothing to do with rain getting in around slate vent felt. Its that the pipe runs from hot area to cold area causing condensation on outside of pipe in attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its nothing to do with rain getting in around slate vent felt. Its that the pipe runs from hot area to cold area causing condensation on outside of pipe in attic.

Put ducting insulation on it. I'd be more focused on the whole, spending a lot of money putting holes and future failure points in my roof when I do have ventilation in the house. And failing to do so the government will fine me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Its that the pipe runs from hot area to cold area causing condensation on inside outside of pipe in attic.

FYP:)

this a vent pipe so you shouldn't get condensation on the outside of the pipe.

Regards,
    LL & Public Servant.

Why risk it when trickle vents are fine, better still open the window

Why risk it when trickle vents are fine, better still open the window

I wouldn't. I have trickle vents on my rental property which went through HAP inspection last Wednesday. Trickle vents are fine and can technically comply with the regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Ensure you have the basics such as carbon monoxide if gas and fire blanket and fire extinguisher.

Am I understanding that correctly; every DCC inspected property is required to have a fire extinguisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Pity the council don't give a sh1t what happens to the property once the tenant is in place

Tenants are responsible for up keep of the property. Council is responsible for structure, and some maintenance .The attitude of some tenants is unbelievable.

Saudades wrote: »
    Am I understanding that correctly; every DCC inspected property is required to have a fire extinguisher?

No. A fire blanket must be hanging on the kitchen wall.

Advertisement