Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Rush to Rush/Lusk Train Station

Options
  • 27-08-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Do may people do this cycle as part of their commute? Seems to be no cycle path, but there is a pedestrian path? How safe is it?

Don't fancy paying a bus AND train long term.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I cycle it the odd time (not for commuting though).

From the service station on the edge of the village to the train station is about 2.5km. It's ok but very narrow so I would take the lane the whole way if you dont want to be squeezed by drivers doing stupid overtakes.

On the plus side its pretty flat so not too hard to keep up a decent pace if your fitness is OK.

btw I wouldnt leave any sort of a decent bike locked up at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Duckjob wrote: »
    its pretty flat s

no its not, from lusk it is, from rush its definitely not flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It's quite a busy road, and there are significant stretches with no pavement. If you do go ahead with it, light yourself up like a Christmas tree. It's scary the number of cyclists on that road with no lights.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I drive from Rush to work every day.From what I can see lots of people do cycle.You just end up with a long trail of traffic behind you.Light yourself up like a christmas tree if you cycle would you, because it's a narrow enough road and quite fast, and while I would be wary enough of meeting a cyclist, I have still had the wits frightened out of me by people cycling in the dark with next to no visible sight of them in advance.

If you are coming from Rush there are a few fairly hilly stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

Yeah, seems mixed enough. Is the 33 regular enough and easy enough to jump on, to and from the station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Csalem

The 33 and 33A are nominally every 30 minutes to/from the station and Rush. However times can vary as the 33 is travelling further than the 33A.

Obviously in the peaks there are more services.

Timetable is here:
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/TFI%20Go%20Ahead%20Route%203333a%20Timetable%20December%202018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you're going to Dublin, the 33X is the way to go at peak times. its about as long from the station to Tara station as the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

If you're going to Dublin, the 33X is the way to go at peak times. its about as long from the station to Tara station as the train.

Cool. Small issue i have is i work until just after 6. The last express buses seem to be at 6 in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I cycled that section for years when I lived in Rush. It fine generally with the exception of an occasional close pass. Stay out from the edge to make motorists do a proper pass. I'm not sure why others are describing it as 'hilly'. There's an incline after Spout Road but generally it's pretty flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

seagull wrote: »
    It's quite a busy road, and there are significant stretches with no pavement. If you do go ahead with it, light yourself up like a Christmas tree. It's scary the number of cyclists on that road with no lights.

Pavement all the way but it is a bit narrow in a few places. Keep out from edge of footpath and make cars do a proper pass.

It is a busy road in the morning from 6am but at the time you are coming home traffic is starting to ease up.On wet evenings the whitestown road can have a few spots where water gathers so care is needed. As a few pointed out light yourself up well. The lighting is fairly good on the road but on these darker evening now high viz over any back pack and a decent light is a must. One steep hill in each direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

shesty wrote: »
    I have still had the wits frightened out of me by people cycling in the dark with next to no visible sight of them in advance.

Over the last few weeks I have passed a few cyclists with not a bit of lighting and a back pack on over a small high viz between Turvey and Lusk. Two had nothing bright or lights.

The serious cyclists (the ones who cycle to Swords or airport daily) are always well lit up. Dont know why the Gardái dont pull over a few without lights as they are a danger to themselves and all road users.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's fine to cycle, busy road though so make sure you are bright and well lit with lights even flashing rear ones during the day.
    Go for it and don't worry its quite safe.

(Am a NCD cyclist who does 10k kms plus every year so know all these road quite well)

pps Wishbone Ash cycles more than me and more than anyone I know ;)

Advertisement