Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletic Ireland Spar XC Xperience

Options
  • 27-08-2019 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know if this is the same event as the Open XC festival Athletic Ireland held the last two years? I can only find info on this 4k race - is the 4k for everyone (clubs, first timers, age groups) or will there be a full program released, of which the 4k is just one race)

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/index.php/runzone/cross-country-xperience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hi Helen,

Same day as the Autumn Open XC, which some here will remember as the Gerry Farnan. In relation to the Spar "Xperience" :rolleyes: it seems to be aimed at a much lower standard than will be taking part in the "official" races that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi Helen,

Same day as the Autumn Open XC, which some here will remember as the Gerry Farnan. In relation to the Spar "Xperience" :rolleyes: it seems to be aimed at a much lower standard than will be taking part in the "official" races that day.

Thanks! So does that mean the 4K is now the ‘open’ and the other races on the day are club? Because wasn’t the idea with the Open that anyone could run the races, you didn’t have to be an AAI member?

Hi Helen,

Thanks! So does that mean the 4K is now the ‘open’ and the other races on the day are club? Because wasn’t the idea with the Open that anyone could run the races, you didn’t have to be an AAI member?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Haven't seen a timetable yet, but from digging up the results from last year....I'm guessing 6k/7k for distances. Maybe someone who was actually there can confirm? There are a few with no club listed.

Either way, I would have almost certainly been in the bottom 5 of the Masters standings (and considerably slower than any of the seniors), however this 4k thing seems to be aimed at those who've never run XC before? (if asking for under/over 26 is anything to go by)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

HelenAnne wrote: »

I think you are almost guaranteed that there will be the usual Open XC distances besides the 4k. I reckon the 4k is an attempt to do a proper open race for less xc confident club and non-club runners, anyone who wants to run. I think they did an open mixed 5k the last year it was in the Park, which was similar.

The problem with the Open Cross Country is that it's run as part of the Masters trials for the Home Nations XC and one of the few opportunities for senior athletes to get a decent xc race in before the Inter-Clubs National race - there were even some international runners brought over for it, I think. So, it is a really high standard and (nominally) 5 miles over a tough course is not going to be particularly attractive for non-competitive club members and even less attractive for non-club runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

The registration form doesn't ask for your club name or Athletics Ireland number so there must be other races planned. The xperience races starts late enough - 15.45pm. Last year the women's open race started at 2pm, after the Dublin juvenile races.
    I was kinda hoping the xperience race was incorporating the masters, 4k instead of 6. Oh well.

Thanks everyone - I wanted to mention it in a thing I'm writing and it's just not clear exactly whether it's in addition to or instead of opening up the XC that's also the Masters' trials (like last year and year before).

I think I'll just mention it vaguely.

Hope to see some of you there, I hope to run one of the races there this year.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - I wanted to mention it in a thing I'm writing and it's just not clear exactly whether it's in addition to or instead of opening up the XC that's also the Masters' trials (like last year and year before).

I think I'll just mention it vaguely.

Hope to see some of you there, I hope to run one of the races there this year.

If it would help to have the details, just drop the competitions or marketing address at Athletics Ireland an email and they're usually quick enough to respond.

purple cow wrote: »
    The registration form doesn't ask for your club name or Athletics Ireland number so there must be other races planned. The xperience races starts late enough - 15.45pm. Last year the women's open race started at 2pm, after the Dublin juvenile races.
    I was kinda hoping the xperience race was incorporating the masters, 4k instead of 6. Oh well.

That is late enough but, hopefully, it will mean bigger crowds watching the Open and Juvenile races beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is it just the one race? My son (15) is interested in it and it fits nicely between his county xc and (hopefully) provincial xc for a bit of practice. The tshirt and medal is also a draw for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement