Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert points

• 27-08-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

How likely is someone to go up from 575-585 points to just under 625 if they repeat the Leaving Cert? Please feel free to share any personal experiences, or maybe someone you know went through this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Too many variables.

Did they really try their best?
    Did they miss marks because of leaving out parts of questions/misunderstanding questions or just not knowing the stuff?

Would they be taking the same subjects?

No doubt there will be people here who can tell you yes, it's possible, they, their cousin, or auntie did it. The ones who repeated and went down in points may not respond.

The short answer is it depends on the person, but repeating is not an absolute guarantee of increasing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ismail Elhassadi

i think you have to be very mature about this,I know a person who was in your situation 2 years ago he got 578 and missed out on both med and dent he repeated and got 613 in a grind school mind you he worked from 4 to 10 every weekday and more on weekends,The hpat actually went worse for him and he missed med and is now doing dent in trinity and is very happy.Those extra points could be very useful for you but could distract from the hpat which has greater weight at this point.Repeating is only 9 months but you have to have the right mindset going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abcryan123

i think you have to be very mature about this,I know a person who was in your situation 2 years ago he got 578 and missed out on both med and dent he repeated and got 613 in a grind school mind you he worked from 4 to 10 every weekday and more on weekends,The hpat actually went worse for him and he missed med and is now doing dent in trinity and is very happy.Those extra points could be very useful for you but could distract from the hpat which has greater weight at this point.Repeating is only 9 months but you have to have the right mindset going in.

Thanks pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Abcryan123 wrote: »
    Thanks pal

Is there an alternative way to get to your preffered career that doesn't involve repeating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Abcryan123 wrote: »
    How likely is someone to go up from 575-585 points to just under 625 if they repeat the Leaving Cert? Please feel free to share any personal experiences, or maybe someone you know went through this?

I would imagine that it would be difficult to repeat Irish and English courses in one year and score H1s.

An option would be to repeat 6 high scoring subjects. Drop your Irish/English/Language for the repeat year. Aim to score high here for Dentistry. (provided you have the entry requirements from the first LC)

Repeat the Hpat also, and use this hopefully improved Hpat with the first LC for possible entrance to Medicine.

I think that this is all allowable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

If it's purely points (ie no hpat or other requirements involved) then I think the chances are slim enough when you're talking about points in that range (assuming you worked at least fairly hard first time round). That said, it's just one year extra and if you would really (really) like to get into a course requiring those points then it's probably worth a try - lots of people end up changing course one year in or repeating so they start first year of college a year later. But if you'd be happy with something else with 575-585 points it would be worth considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pqaccount

An option would be to repeat 6 high scoring subjects. Drop your Irish/English/Language for the repeat year. Aim to score high here for Dentistry. (provided you have the entry requirements from the first LC)

Repeat the Hpat also, and use this hopefully improved Hpat with the first LC for possible entrance to Medicine.

If you want to apply for medicine you will have to satisfy the matriculation requirements in one single sitting of the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

pqaccount wrote: »
    If you want to apply for medicine you will have to satisfy the matriculation requirements in one single sitting of the Leaving Cert.

You can use Year 1 LC (matric + points) plus Year 2 Hpat to aim for entry to Medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pqaccount

You can use Year 1 LC (matric + points) plus Year 2 Hpat to aim for entry to Medicine

That's right

Advertisement