Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Home Insurance ?

• 27-08-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Wondering where is the best place to get Home Insurance? Best value.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

eeinke wrote: »
    Wondering where is the best place to get Home Insurance? Best value.....

I was in EBS yesterday and saw this advertised but I’ve no idea how it compares to any other home insurance.

Four Months Free Home Insurance. Want some?
    Saving money on your Home Insurance can be great fun.

Okay – it’s not exactly bungee-jumping or sky-diving. But it can be the sort of fun that comes with 36% savings savings in year 1. That’s a big trip to IKEA sort-of-fun. A meal in your local restaurant and more nights out with your pals.

This is the sort of craic that comes with four months free home insurance. Yep - that’s 36% off your first year’s home insurance bill when you pay by direct debit or with your EBS mortgage.

https://www.ebs.ie/insurance/ebs-home-insurance-ireland-offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Try Allianz for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

need to get home insurance in place before drawdown of the mortgage. Silly question but what do you need to be asking for?

How much do people generally insure the house for? Absolutely ridiculous question I know, but is there a general ball park figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Blanco100 wrote: »
    need to get home insurance in place before drawdown of the mortgage. Silly question but what do you need to be asking for?

How much do people generally insure the house for? Absolutely ridiculous question I know, but is there a general ball park figure?

From researching, I read that most people insure their belongings for approximately 40k. For the building itself, when you are getting an online quote, most insurance providers have an online calculator to work this out. For example if you input the details for the property based on how many bedrooms, it calculates how much it would be to rebuild. Ours was calculated at 220k I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

From researching, I read that most people insure their belongings for approximately 40k. For the building itself, when you are getting an online quote, most insurance providers have an online calculator to work this out. For example if you input the details for the property based on how many bedrooms, it calculates how much it would be to rebuild. Ours was calculated at 220k I believe.

So by calculating at 220k they are calculating as to value of the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's no option but to either ring around a load of insurers or go online and enter your details.

I wouldn't take too much notice of special deals you are advertised, like 3 months free etc.

You see them in car insurance often and at times they were still more expensive than other insurers. They are just marketing tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

So by calculating at 220k they are calculating as to value of the property?

Calculating the cost to rebuild the property should there be a fire or natural disaster for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

The Valuer who valued your property for the lender will specify how much the house needs to be insured for and it is up to you if you wish to insure for a higher amount and you can refer to Chartered Surveyors of Ireland for recommended insurance cover.

Advertisement