Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission granted for 471 apartments at former Chivers site

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

markodaly wrote: »
    Ten stories is nothing. These are build to rent, so the vast majority of people will be working. This will gentrify the area. I guess the OP lives around the place, so guess what? This may help your property price in the long run if you have a house.

You should welcome this, but I guess the NIMBY blood runs through your veins.
    We can look forward to planning permission being granted for ten story apartment blocks in Clontarf and Malahide then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We can look forward to planning permission being granted for ten story apartment blocks in Clontarf and Malahide then. :rolleyes:

Not aware of any suitable site in Clontarf, but weren't the NIMBYs opposing something in St. Annes Park? The left-wing councillors opposing their own decisions, if I remember correctly.

Malahide would need rezoning of open countryside and I think the argument about lack of services would apply in that case, as the open countryside would not be an established area.

Suitable sites would include Broombridge, the Dublin Industrial estate, the industrial estates on the Long Mile Road and the Naas Road, various other brownfield sites in places like Drimnagh as well. Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and Liffey Valley are underdeveloped and car parks could be replaced with multi-storey carparks freeing up space for apartments. In all those cases, there are established services, facilities and public transport, as well as suitable sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

blanch152 wrote: »
    What services are you looking for the area?

Schools? Mercy College, Chanel College, St. Joseph's, St. Brendans, Scoil Chaitriona, Colaiste Dhulaigh, St. Paul's, loads more

Shops? Coolock Village, Northside Shopping Centre, Artane Shopping Centre, Power City, Aldi, Woodies, Lidl, ClareHall etc

Restaurants? The fast food is no problem with McDonalds, Burger King, Supermacs and a few chippers as well as Camile, Domino's and Subway. I don't know the area well enough to know which are the best of the local small restaurants. They could probably do with one or two more, but as good as many suburban villages.

Pubs? The Cock and Bull, Kyles, The Concorde, The Roundabout, all in walking distance, no need for taxi after a pint

Sport? Parnells GAA, St. John Vianney Soccer, you'd have to go to Clontarf for the rugby and cricket though, what other sport do you want?

Parks? Stardust Park, Oscar Traynor Park, etc.

Actually, tell us what services Coolock doesn't have.

First I'm not familiar with the area.

But would those clubs be able to handle the extra volume of people. Also anything other than sports facilities.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    First I'm not familiar with the area.

But would those clubs be able to handle the extra volume of people. Also anything other than sports facilities.

Omniplex for cinema, several gyms, a slimming world, community centres, what else do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Omniplex for cinema, several gyms, a slimming world, community centres, what else do you want?

These facilities are already in place, can they handle additional volume. Also cinema and sports clubs generally cost a nice bit of coin in this day.

I just think if you just plop nearly 500 families into an area, the current amminites may struggle to coup with the increased demand

• Advertisement

These facilities are already in place, can they handle additional volume. Also cinema and sports clubs generally cost a nice bit of coin in this day.

I just think if you just plop nearly 500 families into an area, the current amminites may struggle to coup with the increased demand

You are guessing, rather than knowing.

First you said facilities were needed, then when you were told about them, you queried whether they could hold the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Does anyone know whether these will be apartments for families? I think they are more likely to be one and two bedroom apartments in the main, suitable for singles or childless couples to rent.

Who exactly do you fear will be "dumping" families there if these are intended to be private rentals unsuitable for families?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I think Blackrock, Foxrock, Dalkey would be a good spot for 10 story apartments.

Dart commuter line serves those suburbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

What services are you looking for the area?

Schools? Mercy College, Chanel College, St. Joseph's, St. Brendans, Scoil Chaitriona, Colaiste Dhulaigh, St. Paul's, loads more

Shops? Coolock Village, Northside Shopping Centre, Artane Shopping Centre, Power City, Aldi, Woodies, Lidl, ClareHall etc

Restaurants? The fast food is no problem with McDonalds, Burger King, Supermacs and a few chippers as well as Camile, Domino's and Subway. I don't know the area well enough to know which are the best of the local small restaurants. They could probably do with one or two more, but as good as many suburban villages.

Pubs? The Cock and Bull, Kyles, The Concorde, The Roundabout, all in walking distance, no need for taxi after a pint

Sport? Parnells GAA, St. John Vianney Soccer, you'd have to go to Clontarf for the rugby and cricket though, what other sport do you want?

Parks? Stardust Park, Oscar Traynor Park, etc.

Actually, tell us what services Coolock doesn't have.

Loads of banks nearby and plenty of GPs in the area, so abortion on demand is widely available and Beaumont Hospital is close by too, in case things go wrong.

Back in the day, a mention of the access to religious thingies (aka churches/chapels/mosques/synagoggles/Paddy Power outlets/etc.) might have been mentioned. But hey! It's the era of King Leo and LGBT+ rules so who needs religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As long as workers can afford the prices every bit helps.
    The problem with Ballymun and the like was low income, often no amenities. Then we'd a heroin epidemic followed by areas the Garda wouldn't go near which led to vigilantism.
    Utterly and painfully predictable post.

Any other old gifs and links that you would like to recycle again?

Why do you care?
    Portsalon wrote: »
    Loads of banks nearby and plenty of GPs in the area, so abortion on demand is widely available and Beaumont Hospital is close by too, in case things go wrong.

Back in the day, a mention of the access to religious thingies (aka churches/chapels/mosques/synagoggles/Paddy Power outlets/etc.) might have been mentioned. But hey! It's the era of King Leo and LGBT+ rules so who needs religion?

The slow witted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Does anyone know whether these will be apartments for families? I think they are more likely to be one and two bedroom apartments in the main, suitable for singles or childless couples to rent.

Who exactly do you fear will be "dumping" families there if these are intended to be private rentals unsuitable for families?

But they should be for families too. They should have decent sized rooms, underground parking and storage, playgrounds, etc. That's the model that works so well on the continent. What do we get here? Shoeboxes with no storage space or parking. That's why we need to listen to planners and not developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

It should be a condition of planning.

You get slums but just hoarding poor people into an area, and leave them alone without facilities. Ballymun is a prime example of this in the 80's

The problems with Ballymun and other problem areas has nothing to do with facilities. When 'facilities' were installed they were often burnt down. Many kids go a bit wild around their teens, but they are usually kept in check by their parents and don't get into trouble. The problem of delinquency has more to do with a lack of parental responsibility than it has to do with facilities.

Wouldn't it be a genuinely historic moment if some day the Irish people had the vision to begin to seriously discuss balancing this country, its commerce, infrastructure and communities more sensibly across the island?

Of all the things in Irish society, and I do mean all, the movement of the population to the east in search of jobs is the most myopic. Housing, accommodation, childcare in Dublin are undermining so much - yet the resources of the state such as the tax system and budget allocations persist in building the Dublin area, and its problems. Rural towns, villages and communities are in constant decline while their younger people end up in Dublin paying obscene rents for all sorts of substandard accommodation.

Can we not come up with a concept of decentralisation that does not start and end with the relevant minister locating his/her department in his/her constituency? Truly, rural politicians - of whom the majority of TDs are - have never united to form anything to address the imbalance. It's all parochial constituency stuff - in multi-seat constituencies where the voting system ensures they're always watching their backs - rather than uniting and getting entire regions a serious, sustainable future.

Why can't we have five or six major centres distributed geographically more evenly? It would make housing and childcare much more affordable if jobs and infrastructure could be found in those regions. People would not have to slave away paying Dublin mortgages or Dublin rent, and rural depopulation can be countered and communities across Ireland strengthened. Environmentally the pressures on the Dublin region - most obviously water - could also be addressed. People could travel to and from work faster and a whole slew of work-live balance areas could be improved. We could also use it as an opportunity to build world-class public transport infrastructure and sustainable living environments in the new regional centres.

There's a mind-boggling absence of vision among the political class in Dáil Éireann - and the culchie politicians in particular continue to play their stupid parochial games while their areas decline. Zero vision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think it's great development; recent developments in the area (the apartments at "Northern Cross", or 'the Darndale Hilton' to you and me) have had the effect of moving working couples into the area, and gentrifying it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you hate homeless children?
    You forgot the "so much" to really drive it home.

"Why do you hate xxxxx so much"?

Wouldn't it be a genuinely historic moment if some day the Irish people had the vision to begin to seriously discuss balancing this country, its commerce, infrastructure and communities more sensibly across the island?

Of all the things in Irish society, and I do mean all, the movement of the population to the east in search of jobs is the most myopic. Housing, accommodation, childcare in Dublin are undermining so much - yet the resources of the state such as the tax system and budget allocations persist in building the Dublin area, and its problems. Rural towns, villages and communities are in constant decline while their younger people end up in Dublin paying obscene rents for all sorts of substandard accommodation.

Can we not come up with a concept of decentralisation that does not start and end with the relevant minister locating his/her department in his/her constituency? Truly, rural politicians - of whom the majority of TDs are - have never united to form anything to address the imbalance. It's all parochial constituency stuff - in multi-seat constituencies where the voting system ensures they're always watching their backs - rather than uniting and getting entire regions a serious, sustainable future.

Why can't we have five or six major centres distributed geographically more evenly? It would make housing and childcare much more affordable if jobs and infrastructure could be found in those regions. People would not have to slave away paying Dublin mortgages or Dublin rent, and rural depopulation can be countered and communities across Ireland strengthened. Environmentally the pressures on the Dublin region - most obviously water - could also be addressed. People could travel to and from work faster and a whole slew of work-live balance areas could be improved. We could also use it as an opportunity to build world-class public transport infrastructure and sustainable living environments in the new regional centres.

There's a mind-boggling absence of vision among the political class in Dáil Éireann - and the culchie politicians in particular continue to play their stupid parochial games while their areas decline. Zero vision

Actually we do have such a plan - Project IRELAND 2040

kravmaga wrote: »
    I think Blackrock, Foxrock, Dalkey would be a good spot for 10 story apartments.

Dart commuter line serves those suburbs

There was a missed opportunity with Dun Laoghaire Golf club.

May well be some sites on Pottery Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Has Aodhan O'Riordan organised a protest yet against this development or is it outside his constituency?

I see the local Greens out against it. Oh, the hypocrisy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jay0109 wrote: »
    Has Aodhan O'Riordan organised a protest yet against this development or is it outside his constituency?

I see the local Greens out against it. Oh, the hypocrisy...
    It's in his constituency and I think he's in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I think it's great development; recent developments in the area (the apartments at "Northern Cross", or 'the Darndale Hilton' to you and me) have had the effect of moving working couples into the area, and gentrifying it a bit.

Yes, that's the next thing for people to whine about - gentrifying the neighborhood, as though that's a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is ridiculous. I live not too far from here and grew up nearby too. Most of coolock and D5 is normal working people. This is exactly the type of development Dublin needs. Glad it’s annoying you OP and the rest of the NIMBYs. Only annoying thing is that it wouldn’t happen in a more well off area. I can cycle to work in D2 in less than 30 mins from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Plenty of schools and parks, Beaumont hospital nearby. Coolock Village for the pubs and churches. Artane and Northside Shopping Centres.

Hard to think of a better place to put 471 apartments.

Now that you mention it, I think it's actually be a good idea if the staff working in Beaumont had first dibs at these!
    The locals around Kilmore has started blocking the roads to stop the staff parking their cars in front of their houses (now THAT'S nimbyism!)

My mate works in Beaumont, he says most of their Friday and Saturday night work comes from The Concorde and The Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Now that you mention it, I think it's actually be a good idea if the staff working in Beaumont had first dibs at these!
    The locals around Kilmore has started blocking the roads to stop the staff parking their cars in front of their houses (now THAT'S nimbyism!)

My mate works in Beaumont, he says most of their Friday and Saturday night work comes from The Concorde and The Roundabout.

Thats some spoof . Grand places for a pint

Thats some spoof . Grand places for a pint

yeah lol, I've been in both recently and they're dead as disco. Especially the roundabout. Jesus if you think Artane is rough you don't get out much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I recently ate in Taza, the Pakistan restaurant attached to the Roundabout pub and I was really impressed by the food there. I put it on a par with Kinara (high praise in my books) though the ambience is more bistro than restaurant. Thoroughly recommend it.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I recently ate in Taza, the Pakistan restaurant attached to the Roundabout pub and I was really impressed by the food there. I put it on a par with Kinara (high praise in my books) though the ambience is more bistro than restaurant. Thoroughly recommend it.

I went there for my bday recently and wasn't as good as the hype for me. Mint Cottage in Raheny is my go to place in the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I went there for my bday recently and wasn't as good as the hype for me. Mint Cottage in Raheny is my go to place in the hood.

Notions - Alis in Edenmore is the finest cuisine in North Dublin

Notions - Alis in Edenmore is the finest cuisine in North Dublin

Curry Power for me, you snob

OldGoat wrote: »

Oh and someone told me the place was opened by an ex Kinara chef, so you're on the money there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thelonious Monk does it bother the perception people have of D5 Cooolock or that Coolock = Darndale or do you think its human nature to categorise. I worked near enough for years but I suppose if you only hear about it in the news and its not always good news.

Advertisement