Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just get insurance and don't bother with a case. There not that fragile. Show it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I picked up one of these over Black Friday weekend. https://eu.mous.co/products/lim-3-protective-iphone-11-pro-case?variant=29578070786163

It's a little bit on the bulky side but I don't mind as it feels like it gives great protection and the quality is fantastic. The biggest plus for me is that it has a micro fibre inner lining. I've had phones before that ended up with loads of micro scratches all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Just get insurance and don't bother with a case. There not that fragile. Show it off..

Just on the insurance. Is it Apple Care you are referring to or would you recommend some other product? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Best policy available? €8.99/month for premium service on https://www.loveitcoverit.ie/ - €100 excess for theft or loss (on standard 11) and €80 accidental damage or water damage. Haven't signed up for any yet but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Rotating between two Ringke cases at the moment and have a glass protector too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Any cheap glass protector will do, they're all the same, i wouldn't be spending 49euro on one, that's madness!

I only use the apple leather cases, love them, the Saddle brown goes a lovely shade once it's been handled for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

joebre wrote: »
    Just got the Pro Max and wondering how to protect such an expensive piece.

Has anybody bought the leather cover from Apple at €149 ?

What about the Belkin InvisiGlass UltraCurve Screen Protection at €49 ?

These are available directly from Apple so I haven't been able to see either of them.

I use caudabe cases and screen protectors - they often have decent sale prices, although delivery can take 10-14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Does an iPhone 11 need a SIM just to be activated or can I use it without one as an iPod Touch Deluxe?

I ordered a SIM online yesterday and I doubt it will arrive before Christmas Eve.

I don’t mind that but if I need it it I’ll go to a shop over the weekend. I was just in a Three shop and a Carphone Warehouse and they were mobbed and queues not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

update

went ahead with the pro max 64gb black on three

so smooth it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi all
    I’ve been still holding off
    Has anyone bought this off adverts, I see a few lads selling these unlocked for 700 ish new, most of over 1000 Positive reviews

Thoughts? Too good to be true?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I’ve been still holding off
    Has anyone bought this off adverts, I see a few lads selling these unlocked for 700 ish new, most of over 1000 Positive reviews

Thoughts? Too good to be true?

Most are shops in town.
    Grey imports from countries with lower vat rates etc
    I’ve bought a few and iPads over the years without issue.

Try buy from one of the bigger names. Mr.iPhone has been arums a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

kceire wrote: »
    Most are shops in town.

Yeah they seem good just wanna run it past for reference if anyone has dealt with them

rizzee wrote: »
    Best policy available? €8.99/month for premium service on https://www.loveitcoverit.ie/ - €100 excess for theft or loss (on standard 11) and €80 accidental damage or water damage.

Just signed up for this now.

Revolut also offer insurance for 1.88 per week but doesn't cover theft or loss.

I’d only go with Apple Care. The rest aren’t worth the paper they’re written on and there will be some small print loophole to leave you with zero.

I’d only go with Apple Care. The rest aren’t worth the paper they’re written on and there will be some small print loophole to leave you with zero.

I disagree. I'm happy with the plan above, including the excess price, and carefully went through t&cs. Apple care for 169, I'm fine thanks! :D

€160 for something is still cheaper than €108 for nothing.

Yeah you clearly didn't check out the link. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

whats a good wireless charger for the pro max

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

whats a good wireless charger for the pro max

Lidl were doing a double one only 1-2 weeks ago. You can charge your AirPods at the same time. Very handy
    Otherwise get an Anker one off amazon.
    Do not get any from petrol stations or pound shops. complete muck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

kceire wrote: »
    Most are shops in town.

I see some lads posting to these adverts on adverts.ie that they are Japanese models which are missing some functionality, is that correct?

Insure it and don’t bother with a case imo. Gave up on cases at some point on the iPhone 6s I had and then when I moved to the Xs I didn’t bother with a case, it’s just too nice a phone to cover up. Have it a year and just a few small scuffs here and there (has had multiple falls), even with a case I always got scuffs on phones sometimes from the case.

Apple care is a waste of time imo, no loss or theft cover which is the major thing. I’ve claimed insurance for phones without issue in the past so it’s not true to say you will end up with zero.

• Advertisement

Insure it and don’t bother with a case imo. Gave up on cases at some point on the iPhone 6s I had and then when I moved to the Xs I didn’t bother with a case, it’s just too nice a phone to cover up. Have it a year and just a few small scuffs here and there (has had multiple falls), even with a case I always got scuffs on phones sometimes from the case.

Apple care is a waste of time imo, no loss or theft cover which is the major thing. I’ve claimed insurance for phones without issue in the past so it’s not true to say you will end up with zero.

I’ve only ever been given the run around by those gadget insurers whenever I needed them. Though most insurance works that way anyway.

I’ve only ever been given the run around by those gadget insurers whenever I needed them. Though most insurance works that way anyway.

What were you claiming and why did they deny it? I had a replacement phone within a few days the last time I claimed, replaced a newer model iPhone too than the one I had insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

What insurance companies would you recommend? I went with Gadget Insurance.

I’m with gadget insurance also and have had a claim without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They are not quite the same thing. In Ireland AppleCare+ will get you a new phone the next day by courrier (with pre-paid return package for the broken phone which of course would have to match the condition you described on the phone). And it also gives you accidental/warranty cover by official Apple repair centres almost anywhere in the world for 2 years (ie if you break your screen or your phone has a problem while in Japan, just pop over to any Apple store there and in most cases they’ll sort you out within a day in that country as opposed to having to wait to go home and get a claim processed). Gadget insurances won't be as quick/seamless at home and won't offer that level of worldwide service.

And I am of course not saying it is always the case, but I have heard quite a few horror stories about claims taking ages to process with gadget insurance companies, being denied due to dodgy use of the T&Cs, or them using non-Apple repair centres doing questionable fixes on the phones. So I personally wouldn’t touch those to avoid the trouble of having to deal with such situation; and when I want extra cover I go for AppleCare+ (and pick a fairly cheap add-on on the home insurance policy if i want theft cover outside the house for small electronics, which is rather inexpensive and has the benefit of covering any device in the household as opposed to a specific one).

rizzee wrote: »
    I disagree. I'm happy with the plan above, including the excess price, and carefully went through t&cs. Apple care for 169, I'm fine thanks! :D

169 for 2 years is 7 euros per month, i.e. a little less than your plan.

But TBH price is not the question here. It is more about the service you are getting.

The advantage of what you picked is theft cover; while the advantages of AppleCare+ are that it is quicker/easier to get a repair/replacement, much less risky in terms of them dragging their feet to provide cover, offers worldwide repairs/replacements, and guarantees accidental damage and warranty repairs for 2 years will be done at official Apple service centres using genuine parts.

These are basically the reasons to go for one or the other (knowing that some people already have theft cover from their home insurance - for them IMO going for AppleCare is a no brainer).

I’ve yet to see a home insurance company that even offer phone cover as an add on never mind as standard and I looked into it.

The secret of claiming of gadget insurance is always claim for loss/theft that takes any risk of loop holes for lack of cover for some reason or another etc out of the equation. I’ve heard people in phone shops give this very advice before people jump on me about it.

Also to just say I think the Apple care cover is a very good service but without loss cover to me it’s lacking a massive thing I want covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Some insurers allow you to specify it in the policy others will unspecified cover up to x amount for bikes/phones.Allianz for a fact do cover phones/laptops outside the home as an optional extra.

I’ve yet to see a home insurance company that even offer phone cover as an add on never mind as standard and I looked into it.

See below a screenshot of the add-on on Axa's website when requesting a quote for home insurance (other insurers I have checked have something similar).

If the phone is less than 1000 it is included in unspecified items and otherwise it can be added separately. Inputing my own circumstances as an exemple, it adds no cost to the overall quote if you just add 2500 euros of unspecified items or a 1500 euros phone to be covered both inside and outside the home. Excess is 250 euros hence higher than with gadget insurances, but given the fact that in my exemple the cover comes for free on top of the existing home insurance, this is not something to complain about ...

498793.png
    The secret of claiming of gadget insurance is always claim for loss/theft that takes any risk of loop holes for lack of cover for some reason or another etc out of the equation. I’ve heard people in phone shops give this very advice before people jump on me about it.

It might work to avoid loopholes, but if the actual issue is accidental damage, to do the above you'd have to lie to the insurance company (and possibly to the guards if you claim it was stolen and need a police report). Not something I would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have contents insured with FBD. Phone is also added.
    Think it’s about €190. Phone is about €30 included in that.
    It’s an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Advertisement