Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

brimal wrote: »
    Got the iPhone 11 Product Red delivered today

Gorgeous phone

What does product red mean?

I’m liking my 11 so far but finding it hard to get used to the size having upgraded from a 6s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I checked myself, had I known I might have opted for the red myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

thanks to the wonderful people in an post I got my 64gb black iPhone 11 at 1730 today. they tried to deliver earlier but nobody was home. so fair focks to them for coming by a second time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'm a bit disappointed and considering cancelling my order ( unless anyone here can convince me otherwise). With all the hype I was sure the cameras were going be it. It struggles in sharpness against the Note.

As for the a13 and 4gb of ram the note beats it in speed and ram management. No way I'm paying 1600 for the 512 version of this phone :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed and considering cancelling my order ( unless anyone here can convince me otherwise). With all the hype I was sure the cameras were going be it. It struggles in sharpness against the Note.

As for the a13 and 4gb of ram the note beats it in speed and ram management. No way I'm paying 1600 for the 512 version of this phone :-/

Check all reviews online. The new iPhone comes out top or tied for top in all types of camera tests. Plus there are some camera post processing tweaks coming in software updates.

Why do people mention the ram of an iPhone? It’s only comparative to the previous version of the iPhone you are used to. Check all the benchmarks of the 4gb iPhone versus the 12gb Oneplus 7 Pro. Most androids are still catching up with last years iPhone for speed tests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The only time I'd really be concerned about RAM not being bumped is if the screen was larger/higher resolution than the previous iPhone, as happened with the iPhone 6 and the iPad 4 where insufficient RAM was a real issue. I don't see why the iPhone 11 Pro would need more RAM than the XS, which already got a RAM bump over the X. Apple have to optimise iOS for devices with far less RAM anyway, so big RAM jumps in a short time-frame serve no purpose. They are going to drop support after 5/6 years regardless. And the people who care about stuff like this usually buy a new phone every year anyway so are unlikely to ever benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Tried to upgrade to iPhone 11 max pro with three on Friday. No stock in any stores in either three or Carphone Warehouse.

Anyone any ideas on when / where I could one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What does product red mean?

I’m liking my 11 so far but finding it hard to get used to the size having upgraded from a 6s

A small % of the cost of the item goes to a charity for treatment of HIV/AIDs in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

I am in the dark ages with a iPhone 6 on ios10. When I got the iPhone 6 I liked the build quality of the product. If I went for an iPhone 11 would the quality be as good or should I just go for the pro? I haven't got to hold the phones in person yet. I keep my phone for approx 5 years before buying a new one. Any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I am in the dark ages with a iPhone 6 on ios10. When I got the iPhone 6 I liked the build quality of the product. If I went for an iPhone 11 would the quality be as good or should I just go for the pro? I haven't got to hold the phones in person yet. I keep my phone for approx 5 years before buying a new one. Any advice.

You are in for a treat if you buy any of the new phones now available to you to replace your 6. Build quality is excellent across the range but with glass front and back, precautions like cases are a good idea. The 11 is Glass and Aluminium and the Pros are Glass and Stainless Steel.

The iPhone 11 is a lovely phone and well worth buying. Quite large compared to the 11 Pro. For better Cameras and if you can afford the substantial price increase, the Pro's are the top of the range:D

• Advertisement

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Check all reviews online. The new iPhone comes out top or tied for top in all types of camera tests. Plus there are some camera post processing tweaks coming in software updates.

Why do people mention the ram of an iPhone? It’s only comparative to the previous version of the iPhone you are used to. Check all the benchmarks of the 4gb iPhone versus the 12gb Oneplus 7 Pro. Most androids are still catching up with last years iPhone for speed tests.

I know I'm probably a bit paranoid. I was watching supersaf camera comparison and it seemed the photos lack sharpness in comparison to the note. The note seemed to be a lot better overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

crazyderk wrote: »
    Tried to upgrade to iPhone 11 max pro with three on Friday. No stock in any stores in either three or Carphone Warehouse.

Anyone any ideas on when / where I could one?

Ring around the stores as each store as got some. Situation will be a bit better next week. Probably 2/3 weeks before it's normal though. Stick your name down in wherever is local to you, they'll let you know how many are waiting ahead of you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

After having an absolute mare of a time trying to order through Vodafone.

I managed to get a silver 256gb Pro Max pre ordered through the CPW, picked it up yesterday, and i managed to get the official Apple clear case from CompuB in Cork, and delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Just wondering if anyone who bought the IPhone 11 also bought one of the cases from the Apple site? Can’t decide between the clear case & the silicone one.

Clear case might be nice but a few reviewers on the Apple site mention that it’s slippery.

Also can anyone confirm that you can charge wirelessly with the clear case on? On the Apple site it specifically mentions wireless charging with the silicon one, but doesn’t mention it in the description for the clear one.
    I haven’t bought the phone yet either, just trying to convince myself that it’s time to say goodbye to my IPhone SE!

I have the clear case for the 11 Pro Max, wirelessly charged last night, no issues.

Great case, best clear case i've used so far, super tight fit, so i doubt it's going to be filled with pocket lint down the line, like most loose cases.

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone who bought the IPhone 11 also bought one of the cases from the Apple site? Can’t decide between the clear case & the silicone one.

Clear case might be nice but a few reviewers on the Apple site mention that it’s slippery.

Also can anyone confirm that you can charge wirelessly with the clear case on? On the Apple site it specifically mentions wireless charging with the silicon one, but doesn’t mention it in the description for the clear one.
    I haven’t bought the phone yet either, just trying to convince myself that it’s time to say goodbye to my IPhone SE!

It will charge wirelessly with no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Fishy1 wrote: »

I'd be genuinely shocked if it didn't allow wireless charging. I think almost all cases work with wireless charging so doubt they'd release something that didn't.

The reason they don't have wireless charging listed on the clear cases will be the heat generation.

Any heat generated will yellow the case, so when they start getting complaints about the cases yellowing, they will say it's the wireless charging that's done it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just curious, does the 11 pro not come with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter? Also, is it's screen still 60hz?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just curious, does the 11 pro not come with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter? Also, is it's screen still 60hz?

I see Max Weinbach having a good rant on twitter about the 4gb ram. He says it's affecting and hindering the phone, keeps having to refresh apps when he needs to switch back and forth. Think I'm going to cancel my order, not paying huge money for this. Apple are a cheap shower of *****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iPhone screen is 60Hz, the touch sense thing is recognising touches at 120Hz. As in more detailed touch interaction but not screen refresh.

In the 10+ years the iPhone has been on the market it’s never really been the most technically impressive phone on a spec level. At the same time, they’ve always been one of the fastest and performant phones you can buy. The last 2-3 generations specifically have been seriously powerful phones, mainly down to Apples work on their A-series of chips.

If there was something to discourage me from buying an iPhone, RAM wouldn’t be it. Never had an issue with lack of RAM before, I’ve an iPhone X and I know I can easily have 10+ apps open at once without refreshing. Can’t say in any level of detail because I’ve never checked but it could probably maintain a lot more.

Low amounts of RAM is a non-issue in my opinion.

Mr.S wrote: »
    In the box is just lightning headphones, no adapters anymore.

Also worth noting the charger is now USB C -> Lightning, which is a bit annoying.

Screen is...'120 Hz touch-sensing' (whatever that means)

I've been using my Pro Max model since 9am yesterday and pretty heavy use / multitasking - can't say i've experienced that at all.

As others have said, you will not notice the ram difference on iOS vs Android.

What is cheap though, is giving 64GB as base storage, that's a joke :D

A lot of reviewers on twitter are noticing it. It seems ios 13 made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A lot of reviewers on twitter are noticing it. It seems ios 13 made it worse.

Lack of RAM was a complete pain in the hole on the 6plus. I’d be surprised if there was an issue here, and if there was it just unoptimised software.

Lack of RAM was a complete pain in the hole on the 6plus. I’d be surprised if there was an issue here, and if there was it just unoptimised software.

Hopefully it's optimisation. It's currently opening apps and games a lot slower than the note, which is surprising for a supposedly rocket launching A13 cpu.

The android fans are really delighted and gloating about it on youtube comments, puts me right off :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Have an X and looking for an upgrade. Really torn between the 11 and 11 Pro. Is there a substantial difference with the screen on the 11 compared to the X?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Shn99 wrote: »
    Have an X and looking for an upgrade. Really torn between the 11 and 11 Pro. Is there a substantial difference with the screen on the 11 compared to the X?

The 11 would have a lesser display and a larger bezel v.s. your X, and it would be significantly larger for a marginally larger display. What you’d gain is a better camera (while losing the standard focal lens and gaining an ultra wide one) and better performance and battery life.

IMO this will feel like an half baked upgrade whereby you gain some things but actually also lose others ... so I’d say the only proper upgrade path for X/XS owners is the 11 Pro.

Shn99 wrote: »

Missus and sister both have Xr while i've had the X for the last 2 years. Once you go OLED, you never go back!

I know I'm probably a bit paranoid. I was watching supersaf camera comparison and it seemed the photos lack sharpness in comparison to the note. The note seemed to be a lot better overall.

I dunno, i picked the top hits on google in a 11 Pro Vs Note 10 camera test and the 11 Pro won them all...

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/iphone-11-pro-vs-galaxy-note-10

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-10-plus/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2019/09/19/camera-shootout-iphone-11-pro-vs-galaxy-note-10-vs-vivo-nex-3/

Here's also a random posting about the RAM debate with a few benchmarks for fun..

https://bgr.com/2019/09/19/iphone-11-pro-max-vs-note-10-plus-all-android-comparison/.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't know why you think that.

Thought this was a good review and comparison video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hopefully it's optimisation. It's currently opening apps and games a lot slower than the note, which is surprising for a supposedly rocket launching A13 cpu.

The android fans are really delighted and gloating about it on youtube comments, puts me right off :-/
    Define a lot? Is it a second or two slower opening each app or fractions or a second slower?

And I wouldn’t let random comments online put me off buying a phone I wanted. Put it this way, have a read/watch of some reviews from reputable sources. There are plenty available online, a few were linked a few posts above. Make your decision on that, visit a store and try one out.

If you second guess buying a phone over a tiny insignificant technical spec then you’ll never buy any phone, no phone is perfect and each have areas where they are weaker than the competition. From what I’ve read, the newest iPhones are in the top 3 for most reviewers, based on an overall average of features. The choice really comes down to which you prefer, iOS or Android. Make a decision based on that.

Advertisement