Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »
    The choice really comes down to which you prefer, iOS or Android. Make a decision based on that.

Exactly: pick an OS/ecosystem and then see what phones are available for that one. Changing from iOS to Android (or the other way around) is OK as a once off once in a while, but that should be for good long term reasons and not every time you buy a new phone. It is just too much pain - and software is a huge part of how you use a phone.

To each their own decision criteria, but besides the fact that I find iOS more polished and with a superior ecosystem, for me Android is a non-starter simply due to the fact that I don't want the core software which has access t everything my phone knows about me to be controlled by one of the 2 best champions of surveillance capitalism (who's main business model is to make money by collecting users' personal information). So if Microsoft was still in the picture and making money with selling their OS to phone manufacturers I would possibly consider Windows Mobile phones, but without them my choice is simple and I only have iPhone too look at.

And just saw this in apps start time being slower with the 11 Pro vs the XS: https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/22/iphone-11-pro-loses-to-iphone-xs-in-app-launch-speed-test/

I’m not worried though, pretty much certain it is a software problem which will be fixed soon. It is quite telling that Apple only released ios13 for the iPhone and is releasing 13.1 less than a week later on all platforms (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV). They probably had to get it out of the gate as they had to start selling stocks of boxed iPhones with it preinstalled and boxed Apple Watches requiring it to pair. But they know there is something not quite right with it so they didn’t bother releasing it on the iPad and Apple TV, and are rushing 13.1 just a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This is a bit concerning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-P0KRlbH1M

I can't help thinking that the new powerful CPU/GPU was just stuck in the phone with no proper cooling and 4GB of ram just isn't able to back up the huge processor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This is a bit concerning

I can't help thinking that the new powerful CPU/GPU was just stuck in the phone with no proper cooling and 4GB of ram just isn't able to back up the huge processor .

The new iPhone probably isn’t for you. You should have a look at the new ASUS RoG phone 2, comes with 8GB of RAM and has a liquid cooling system for the processors. It’s one of the most highly spec’d phones out at the moment and would probably be of more interest to you as specs seem to what you’re most concerned about.

The new iPhone probably isn’t for you. You should have a look at the new ASUS RoG phone 2, comes with 8GB of RAM and has a liquid cooling system for the processors. It’s one of the most highly spec’d phones out at the moment and would probably be of more interest to you as specs seem to what you’re most concerned about.

No need for the sarcasm it doesn't suit you. I actually like iphones and have one on order but for a phone this expensive and the fact that you seem ok with it's quality issues.....i guess you don't appreciate my concerns...

• Advertisement

No need for the sarcasm it doesn't suit you. I actually like iphones and have one on order but for a phone this expensive and the fact that you seem ok with it's quality issues.....i guess you don't appreciate my concerns...
    You’re posting as if the new iPhones have some serious game-breaking performance flaws. The consensus from reviews of the phone are that it’s one of the best you can buy right now. Performance, cameras, screen, battery are all either on par or above the rest compared to the what’s out right now.

A few posters here have already pointed out it’s insignificant having more RAM on the iPhone, it’s basically diminishing returns that this stage with very little difference. 4GB of RAM on an iPhone doesn’t translate the same way it does on Android. There’s nothing to really take advantage of the extra RAM.

Also, you keep mentioning the sharpness of the Note camera compared to it, it’s a common aspect with Samsung phones which ramp up sharpness. A lot of reviews of their phones over the years have criticised this aspect as they seem to push sharpness to an unnatural amount.

Just replying with some constructive debate, not trying to be sarcastic but pointing out some facts.

You’re posting as if the new iPhones have some serious game-breaking performance flaws. The consensus from reviews of the phone are that it’s one of the best you can buy right now. Performance, cameras, screen, battery are all either on par or above the rest compared to the what’s out right now.

A few posters here have already pointed out it’s insignificant having more RAM on the iPhone, it’s basically diminishing returns that this stage with very little difference. 4GB of RAM on an iPhone doesn’t translate the same way it does on Android. There’s nothing to really take advantage of the extra RAM.

Also, you keep mentioning the sharpness of the Note camera compared to it, it’s a common aspect with Samsung phones which ramp up sharpness. A lot of reviews of their phones over the years have criticised this aspect as they seem to push sharpness to an unnatural amount.

Just replying with some constructive debate, not trying to be sarcastic but pointing out some facts.

Yes and i appreciate your reply. I was concerened about the slow downs and heat issues that some are starting to report. I mean didn't you just post in the ios 13 thread about your phone dropped battery percentage and heated up after playing a song?

Maybe i do worry too much... i'll guess i'll see how the phone goes next week.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Looking at the Gear4 Battersea case for the 11.

Anyone got any cases they're happy with/getting?

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Looking at the Gear4 Battersea case for the 11.

Anyone got any cases they're happy with/getting?

I have a black Otterbox symmetry on standby .

Sorry but I have to say it honestly: these posts about a lack of RAM supposedly causing slowdowns make absolutely no sense.

1) the only occurrences whereby the 11 Pro has been shown to be beaten is in specific circumstances by the XS which has the exact same amount of RAM
    2) even then, results are not completely consistant and the 11 Pro sometimes wins
    3) the difference is minimal
    4) dozens of professional reviews accross the Internet are saying it performs fine, and on pretty much any benchmark the 11 Pro has been shown to beat any other phone (iOS or Android)
    5) the phone was just released and we know Apple is not fully happy with the initial release of iOS13 - it is quite possible there there are issues related with the new hardware and various bugs which will be address by 13.1 next week

So to summarise we’ve got a few videos on YouTube whereby we don’t know of how scientific testing has been, which are showing an inconsistant and not very marked trend, which are comparing 2 phones with the same amount of RAM ... and we should conclude that the Pro is slower than that the XS because it doesn’t have enough RAM?

Now if you are genuinely concerned and like iPhones, that is fine you can just go for another phone (maybe the XS which that video shows is supposedly faster than the Pro and would on top of that save you money). But honestly if you are not trolling and genuinely think there is a problem, you are overthinking this big time: if besides this you like the phone, just try to relax and get one ;-)

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to say it honestly: these posts about a lack of RAM supposedly causing slowdowns make absolutely no sense.

1) the only occurrences whereby the 11 Pro has been shown to be beaten is in specific circumstances by the XS which has the exact same amount of RAM
    2) even then, results are not completely consistant and the 11 Pro sometimes wins
    3) the difference is minimal
    4) dozens of professional reviews accross the Internet are saying it performs fine, and on pretty much any benchmark the 11 Pro has been shown to beat any other phone (iOS or Android)
    5) the phone was just released and we know Apple is not fully happy with the initial release of iOS13 - it is quite possible there there are issues related with the new hardware and various bugs which will be address by 13.1 next week

So to summarise we’ve got a few videos on YouTube whereby we don’t know of how scientific testing has been, which are showing an inconsistant and not very marked trend, which are comparing 2 phones with the same amount of RAM ... and we should conclude that the Pro is slower than that the XS because it doesn’t have enough RAM?

Now if you are genuinely concerned and like iPhones, that is fine you can just go for another phone (maybe the XS which that video shows is supposedly faster than the Pro and would on top of that save you money). But honestly if you are not trolling and genuinely think there is a problem, you are overthinking this big time: if besides this you like the phone, just try to relax and get one ;-)

Thanks for the long post, it is appreciated your thoughts on it and I want to point out I wasn't trolling. I did have concerns after spending big money on the 512gb version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Just tracking my iPhone 11. It’s in Ireland due to be delivered tomorrow quite excited now. Have my iPhone 8 up on two years now it’s got heavy use but has worked well. But I think the iPhone 11 will be a nice upgrade bigger screen, faster, better battery and camera set up. Haven’t used Face ID so will be interested to see how well that works.

Yes and i appreciate your reply. I was concerened about the slow downs and heat issues that some are starting to report. I mean didn't you just post in the ios 13 thread about your phone dropped battery percentage and heated up after playing a song?

Maybe i do worry too much... i'll guess i'll see how the phone goes next week.:cool:
    Yeah the battery issue was related to the new music lyrics feature, an iOS 13 bug rather than the phone itself. You are definitely overthinking it, it's a lot of money to spend but at the same time you'll never get anything that's 100% perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

CIP4 wrote: »
    Just tracking my iPhone 11. It’s in Ireland due to be delivered tomorrow quite excited now. Have my iPhone 8 up on two years now it’s got heavy use but has worked well. But I think the iPhone 11 will be a nice upgrade bigger screen, faster, better battery and camera set up. Haven’t used Face ID so will be interested to see how well that works.

Will be interested to know how you get on because I currently have an 8 and the 11 was the model I was looking to upgrade with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You always see these comparisons etc on youtube with all launches. They're all complete nonsense in a real world sense. 0.3 vs 0.4 seconds to open an app etc. I had an iPhone 7 plus and went to a S9 plus to try it. Absolute disaster. Purchased a XS Max. Whatever the specs say it absolutely destroyed any other phone I used. If the 11 is incrementally better, and it seems the camera is more than that, then don't have any hesitations. The XS max is an absolute dream of a phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I can't make up my mind which iPhone to get - I've always been an Android user but would like to try out iOS for a bit and downsize to a smaller sized phone than my current one. I'm currently out of contract and was fairly set on getting the iPhone 8 64gb for €550 from Apple (even went so far as buying a case and fast charger & cable for it!), but seeing that the 11 Pro is very similar in size I was thinking of going for that instead (the 256gb space grey model). Just not sure I want to tie myself into a 2 year contract with Three if I don't like iOS (not going to buy the phone outright).

Maybe the 8 is a safer bet and I can always upgrade to the 12 or whatever next year if I still like iOS? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind which iPhone to get - I've always been an Android user but would like to try out iOS for a bit and downsize to a smaller sized phone than my current one. I'm currently out of contract and was fairly set on getting the iPhone 8 64gb for €550 from Apple (even went so far as buying a case and fast charger & cable for it!), but seeing that the 11 Pro is very similar in size I was thinking of going for that instead (the 256gb space grey model). Just not sure I want to tie myself into a 2 year contract with Three if I don't like iOS (not going to buy the phone outright).

Maybe the 8 is a safer bet and I can always upgrade to the 12 or whatever next year if I still like iOS? :confused:

What android have you got? I switch between Android and iOS every so often and while there are additional functionality and customisation available with Android I don't ever miss it so much that it impacts my decision making. The iPhone 8 is basically an iPhone 6 with better internals, I'd be going for any of the faceID models at a minimum if you are thinking of switching. Honestly I doubt you are going to hate iOS so much that you'll want to switch back in a rush, unless you are into ROMs and heavy customisation of android you'll be fine IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

pad199207 wrote: »
    Will be interested to know how you get on because I currently have an 8 and the 11 was the model I was looking to upgrade with

Planning on changing from an 8 to and 11 also. Probably be a couple of months before I’ve the spare cash though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What android have you got? I switch between Android and iOS every so often and while there are additional functionality and customisation available with Android I don't ever miss it so much that it impacts my decision making. The iPhone 8 is basically an iPhone 6 with better internals, I'd be going for any of the faceID models at a minimum if you are thinking of switching. Honestly I doubt you are going to hate iOS so much that you'll want to switch back in a rush, unless you are into ROMs and heavy customisation of android you'll be fine IMO.

Currently using the Razer Phone 2 and honestly can't fault it at all - just don't like the size of the thing. Also fancy a change from Android (don't have any issues with it either). Good point about ROMS and customisation - I don't bother with that side of things other than using Nova Launcher Pro to keep my home screen clutter free (not exactly stretching Nova to it's limits either).

Ok I'm edging more towards the 11 Pro now. Thanks for the input. :)

Actually - you don't miss the Touch ID to unlock the phone? Is it not a pain to unlock with Face ID if the phone is lying flat on a desk (or does Face ID still work there)?
    Edit - nevermind, sure I can't fingerprint unlock the Razer 2 either when it's lying flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The 11 pro is a large upgrade on the 8 to be honest. Better screen, no chin, face id, far newer processor etc etc. I personally find 3 very very poor for data speeds though.

• Advertisement

I’d avoid the older Touch ID models at this stage. There’s nothing majorly wrong with them, the designs just feel dated to me. I’d definitely skip the iPhone 8 and pick up an XR or above.

Just make sure you enjoy iOS enough before switching from Android. And that the apps you're using are available on iOS.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just tried out night-mode in a near pitch dark room and I'm still scratching my head as to how the photo looks like multiple lights are on :confused:

I’d be curious to see, want to post the pic? (If it wasn’t taking in a place which is too private of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Have an 8 Plus and tried the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max in Apple Store on Friday

Can’t say I liked either of them

I just don’t like the full screen phone with no home button.

I guess in time I’d get used to it but don’t know what to do now with an upgrade due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,073 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gekko wrote: »
    Have an 8 Plus and tried the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max in Apple Store on Friday

Can’t say I liked either of them

I just don’t like the full screen phone with no home button.

I guess in time I’d get used to it but don’t know what to do now with an upgrade due

It’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll get used to it. And then when you go back and use an older phone with a home button after a couple of months, it’ll feel weird and antiquated. That’s what happened with me and anyone I know who moved on to the X and XR anyway. It’s all just about familiarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This is a bit concerning

Not concerning me in the slightest.

EverythingApplePro is the most click baity-iest YouTuber. These speed tests in no way resemble anyone’s real-world usage. His other videos are basically him doing renders based off 4th/5th hand rumours. He is good around new hardware release dates, always quick to have an unboxing and do drop tests etc. (Whilst drop tests are just as dubious as these speed tests they do have some bit of realism behind them)

It’s quite clear that iOS 13.0 is buggy on the 11pro, every single review of the phone mentioned it.

This years beta cycle has been a mess, iCloud changes needed to be rolled back, maps changes like ETA brought back, shortcuts automation and more. Apple needed to have something somewhat stable for putting on phones before shipping and I think they left it until the last minute. A fairer comparison will be 11 pro running 13.2 vs note 10 but at that point it won’t drive as revenue so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Currently using the Razer Phone 2 and honestly can't fault it at all - just don't like the size of the thing. Also fancy a change from Android (don't have any issues with it either). Good point about ROMS and customisation - I don't bother with that side of things other than using Nova Launcher Pro to keep my home screen clutter free (not exactly stretching Nova to it's limits either).

Ok I'm edging more towards the 11 Pro now. Thanks for the input. :)

Actually - you don't miss the Touch ID to unlock the phone? Is it not a pain to unlock with Face ID if the phone is lying flat on a desk (or does Face ID still work there)?
    Edit - nevermind, sure I can't fingerprint unlock the Razer 2 either when it's lying flat.

I'm the same with nova launcher, pretty much the only thing i install for customisation. When i was younger i was into rooting devices and installing ROMs, usually stock android but I haven't the time or the inclination these days to put up with the issues you inevitably run into.

My Note 9 faceID isn't great and the fingerprint sensor is on the back so like you one of the major irritations I have is present in both phones. The general consensus is Apples faceID is well ahead of the competition so I think you should be ok. The S10 and Note 10 fingerprint sensors in the screen are noticeably slower than the older style ones from what i've seen, kinda defeats the purpose IMO. As is often the case with Samsung the tech isn't quite there just yet to make it a better experience than the physical button but they've released it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just tried out night-mode in a near pitch dark room and I'm still scratching my head as to how the photo looks like multiple lights are on :confused:
    Yeh I’m still wondering where to use it. Getting better pics with the flash on. But then again. I have just been messing with it indoors. I’d imagine it’s better over bigger spaces that the flash can’t light up.
    It seems to be hit and miss in terms of quality. One pic came out totally red. But it was the kids rooms and they have a pink nightlight on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Anyone notice that location is being constantly used by something which doesn't show in location setting and system service, I am on 13.1 beta 4 on iPhone 11 and never had this on iPhone XR or iPhone XS both on same version of beta.

either it is bug with beta software or something to do with U1 chip me thinks.

deep1 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that location is being constantly used by something which doesn't show in location setting and system service, I am on 13.1 beta 4 on iPhone 11 and never had this on iPhone XR or iPhone XS both on same version of beta.

either it is bug with beta software  or something to do with U1 chip me thinks.
    There's a new feature in iOS 13 that will pop up periodically and warn you of any app that's been using your location in the background consistently, displaying the exact locations you've been tracked. If there is any app using the location you should get notified eventually and asked if you want to allow it to continue having this access. Otherwise it could just be a software bug related to the beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

There's a new feature in iOS 13 that will pop up periodically and warn you of any app that's been using your location in the background consistently, displaying the exact locations you've been tracked. If there is any app using the location you should get notified eventually and asked if you want to allow it to continue having this access. Otherwise it could just be a software bug related to the beta.

Yeah I am aware of that feature and haven't been notified yet for any app so that's why thinking it might be system service.

also found out that under date and time - set automatically was turned on somehow when I restore from backup so it might be because of that, have turned that off to test. Thanks

Advertisement