Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    There's a new feature in iOS 13 that will pop up periodically and warn you of any app that's been using your location in the background consistently, displaying the exact locations you've been tracked. If there is any app using the location you should get notified eventually and asked if you want to allow it to continue having this access. Otherwise it could just be a software bug related to the beta.

My BMW Connected App prompted this pop up today.
    The thing has been tracking me 42 times over the weekend.

But in fairness its linked to my calendar and pops up telling me when to leave for jobs, or to go places etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also don’t forget apps that request Bluetooth and which can track you via beacons etc. Remember to stream audio via Bluetooth you don’t need to give permission

Latest culprit on my phone was laya healthcare, it has absolutely zero reason to request Bluetooth permission yet it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

#firstworldproblems

Pre-ordered the iPhone 11 Pro last Friday, choosing to deliver to work as the expected delivery given was 25th-30th, and I'm currently out of office, due back on 25th.
    But the order just updated today saying it's shipped, and will deliver tomorrow, 24th.
    Since it requires a signature, any ideas what DHL will do; ring me to re-arrange, or would they allow someone at reception in the office sign for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Loomis wrote: »
    #firstworldproblems

Pre-ordered the iPhone 11 Pro last Friday, choosing to deliver to work as the expected delivery given was 25th-30th, and I'm currently out of office, due back on 25th.
    But the order just updated today saying it's shipped, and will deliver tomorrow, 24th.
    Since it requires a signature, any ideas what DHL will do; ring me to re-arrange, or would they allow someone at reception in the office sign for it?

You should get a text. You can arrange a couple of things.
    I ended up getting mine delivered to a storage locker. They might not even have your number or choose not to ring it as phone not company issued. I have had that in the past even though I was in my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

#firstworldproblems

They will definitely allow your work to sign for it no problem. Just like any other package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Battery on the pro max is insane. Mrwhosboss on youtube did a battery drain test and it kicked Huawei's mate 30 pro and the Note 10+ asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah it’s crazy, a day of heavy use is leaving me at 60%.

Yeah very impressed so far and today release of 13.1 should optimise it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

akadesign wrote: »
    Anyone pre-order with Eir? What a shower. Called and live chatted. First they said it’s out of stock, even tough they had stock when ordered. Then they changed there tune and said I’d have it today.

No tracking, no email confirmation, nothing. So they seem to have no idea of when I might receive it.

Do they call before delivery as I’m away next week?

Aka did u have any luck with ur phone with eir, they effin screwed me, ordered 13th at 13:00 with customer care, promised delivery by 20th, paid for 11 pro 256 gig, then charged me another €130 for being a new Customer, so no text, no email, funds taken on 17th and best of all no phone! And just to cheer me up don’t have a clue when I will get one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sounds about par for Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

martin_g wrote: »
    Aka did u have any luck with ur phone with eir, they effin screwed me, ordered 13th at 13:00 with customer care, promised delivery by 20th, paid for 11 pro 256 gig, then charged me another €130 for being a new Customer, so no text, no email, funds taken on 17th and best of all no phone! And just to cheer me up don’t have a clue when I will get one!

Unfortunately not Martin, pretty much the same story, called this number *1800 77 37 29‬ which apparently deal with pre orders, first they said out of stock, they said I’d have it Friday. Called again and said i might have it this week but they’ve literally no clue either way. Switch from Vodafone but I’ve a vague recollection of this happening a few years ago and took a month and many phone calls to get it.

Maybe give them a call and report back, see if they are giving you the same story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Any sign of the Apple.com orders speeding up? Placed an order for a 64GB Pro Max Green on Friday but the delivery wait is a killer.

Unfortunately not Martin, pretty much the same story, called this number *1800 77 37 29‬ which apparently deal with pre orders, first they said out of stock, they said I’d have it Friday. Called again and said i might have it this week but they’ve literally no clue either way. Switch from Vodafone but I’ve a vague recollection of this happening a few years ago and took a month and many phone calls to get it.

Maybe give them a call and report back, see if they are giving you the same story.

I rang them twice (beyond useless) told in stock, then put on hold, then oh no we don’t have any, you’ll get a text when it dispatches, asked for a date told haven’t a clue, was told on 13th I would have on the 20th, then they can’t understand why ur pissed off with them... plus I had to give them a €130 up front as I was a new customer.... That’s service for yah! Screw u with no phone then oh yeah we will screw u again with we need another €130 off u up front! If nothing by Friday they can stick it.. absolutely shocking, went into a Eir store yesterday was told by rep that they done the same last year, took thousands of orders and hadn’t got the stock! They said people where going bananas with them over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Any sign of the Apple.com orders speeding up? Placed an order for a 64GB Pro Max Green on Friday but the delivery wait is a killer.

Ordered mine on launch day around 3-4pm, was given the date of 25th-30th sep. Phones arrived on the 24th, two iPhone 11 Pro Space Grey 256gb if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

I rang them twice (beyond useless) told in stock, then put on hold, then oh no we don’t have any, you’ll get a text when it dispatches, asked for a date told haven’t a clue, was told on 13th I would have on the 20th, then they can’t understand why ur pissed off with them... plus I had to give them a €130 up front as I was a new customer.... That’s service for yah! Screw u with no phone then oh yeah we will screw u again with we need another €130 off u up front! If nothing by Friday they can stick it.. absolutely shocking, went into a Eir store yesterday was told by rep that they done the same last year, took thousands of orders and hadn’t got the stock! They said people where going bananas with them over it.

Obviously just making excuses so. I ordered online, it said 5 left in stock, just a ploy to get you to purchase then fob you off with excuses. Good to see that I’m not the only one. I’ll post here if I get it.

Obviously just making excuses so. I ordered online, it said 5 left in stock, just a ploy to get you to purchase then fob you off with excuses. Good to see that I’m not the only one. I’ll post here if I get it.

I don't know why people fall for these crooked networks every year. The same thing happens every year just to get your money and as many orders in regardless of stock.

People should just put money aside over the year and buy directly from Apple. That's what I do. It works!

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don't know why people fall for these crooked networks every year. The same thing happens every year just to get your money and as many orders in regardless of stock.

People should just put money aside over the year and buy directly from Apple. That's what I do. It works!

I normally do this Micky but unfortunately this year it wasn’t a option due to personal circumstances, I hate doing it this way with the network but if they can’t offer anything by Friday they can stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I've had my iPhone 11 Pro Max since last Friday, and it's an absolute monster of a machine. It's gorgeous to look at but as others have said, the battery life is just silly. That Mr Who's Boss battery test on youtube pegged it at 8.5 hours of intensive heavy constant use.

Nobody uses a phone like that, so this thing basically lasts days and days. Very happy and I think I'll be keeping this phone for at least a few phone cycles to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Anyone have any issues switching to the new phone?
    I’m not getting any SMS verifications; nothing arrives when trying to add two different cards to Apple Pay, nor when trying to login to WeChat.
    Any ideas?
    Also can’t get into the AIB app as it crashes on Login but think that might just be an incompatibility but with iOS 13...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

I’m not getting any SMS verifications; nothing arrives when trying to add two different cards to Apple Pay, nor when trying to login to WeChat.
    Any ideas?
    Also can’t get into the AIB app as it crashes on Login but think that might just be an incompatibility but with iOS 13...

Aib, you will need to remove and install again, if you restored from backup that mess up with auth, install and register phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Any ideas?

I have an iPhone pro and had no issues. Have added cards to Apple Pay and AIB app works no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't get the storage price increase , Storage is cheap, nothing technical there. Should start at 256 storage for a flagship. That 64 needed to be tossed 2 years ago. No one offers such low storage on a top phone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't get the storage price increase , Storage is cheap, nothing technical there. Should start at 256 storage for a flagship. That 64 needed to be tossed 2 years ago. No one offers such low storage on a top phone these days.
    Wasn't that long ago Apple were offing 16GB as the base storage option (iPhone 6S). Still, definitely should be offering 128GB as standard, in-line with most other phones around the same price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Micky 32 wrote: »

Very strange guys.
    I ordered an upgrade for the iPhone 11 Pro in green on Monday online on the Eir site. Its tracking with Nightline and due for delivery today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Once you have icloud storage running 64GB is PLENTY for most.

If you need more than 64GB of storage on your iPhone then you will pay for it. That is a high usage.

I used to work for Apple tech Support and nearly anyone I spoke to barely used over 30GB. Taking into account that was two years ago.

Some math genius online worked out roughly how many of each storage tiers were sold (64, 256 and 512) and added the total in sales and profits from each with 512GB showing approx 50% profit vs 64GB showing 35%.

What this person did was suggest the iPhone should start at 128GB the starting price would actually increase by $50. Or in other words, for Apple to maintain the same profit margin, should they start at 128GB the iPhone starting price would need to be $50 more.

I'll try and dig it out as it really was amazing read if you are into numbers and stats and algorithms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

flexcon wrote: »
    Once you have icloud storage running 64GB is PLENTY for most.

If you need more than 64GB of storage on your iPhone then you will pay for it. That is a high usage.

Three things on this:
    1) Kind of makes sense for the entry level 8/XR and maybe the mid range 11. But for the 11 Pro? (given it’s price and the fact that it is a marketed as a highly professional tool) I personally don’t think so.
    2) The question is what is your definition of “most” and what is your population sample.
    - I would agree 64GB will be fine for many people, but certainly not for an overwhelming majority.
    - And if you reduce your sample to potential customers for the 11 Pro, I would argue within that specific demographics (many heavy users who are ready to pay 1000+ for a phone), those who are fine with 64GB are actually a minority (as shown by sales figures with the 256 clearly ahead).
    3) Cloud services do relieve local storage but can also increase the need: download a number of high quality games of a few GB each (hello Apple Arcade), a few TV episodes to watch on the plane (hello Apple TV+ and Netflix), some albums to listen to while offline (hello Apple Music and Spotify), combine this with a few heavy duty apps, keep in mind that iOS itself does eat up a good bit of that storage, and soon you will be very close to these 64GB.

At the end of the day it is just marketing and margin optimisation. Apple knows that 128GB would be fine for most people so they pick the starting point at 64GB for the 11 Pro knowing there will be very few sales, mostly to display a lower starting price point. And then they put 256GB on the second model which is what they consider to be really pro and they know most people will buy that model (ie they are skipping 128GB altogether and go staging from insufficient to pro/overkill whereby on other models they do have a 128GB step).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody have a rough idea as to when stocks should resume to normal levels, i.e. be able to pick one up anywhere with no waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody have a rough idea as to when stocks should resume to normal levels, i.e. be able to pick one up anywhere with no waiting.

Probably about a month after launch for all models to be available for immediate shipment.

But doesn’t mean you can’t get them before that.

kceire wrote: »
    Very strange guys.
    I ordered an upgrade for the iPhone 11 Pro in green on Monday online on the Eir site. Its tracking with Nightline and due for delivery today.

Thats is strange alright I order on 13th and you get your phone today? Great customer service their alright! Well enjoy it. We will keep waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Bob24 wrote: »
    Three things on this:
    1) Kind of makes sense for the entry level 8/XR and maybe the mid range 11. But for the 11 Pro? (given it’s price and the fact that it is a marketed as a highly professional tool) I personally don’t think so.

I still have colleuges who work in Apple and many people buying the 11 Pro Max for the screen size and OLED display. They don't even know what 4K 60FPS means and probably never will find that setting.
    2) The question is what is your definition of “most” and what is your population sample.
    - I would agree 64GB will be fine for many people, but certainly not for an overwhelming majority.

Naturally I don't have a population size this is purely personal experience working as an AppleCare rep. I would really, honestly suggest at this point that 64GB with cloud storage is suitable for Majority. If my back was against the wall I'd say 60%.I'm not one for exaggerating for points, I really do believe I am close to the truth on that.

- And if you reduce your sample to potential customers for the 11 Pro, I would argue within that specific demographics (many heavy users who are ready to pay 1000+ for a phone), those who are fine with 64GB are actually a minority (as shown by sales figures with the 256 clearly ahead).

Right, which I agree with to a certain extent, except for the point that many buy the phone for screen size and OLED quality. Also, this then means the arguemnt is not about what size hard drive - It's about how much Apple charge for said 64GB hard drive. If Apple removed the 64GB altogether and started selling the Pro at the 256GB - We would be saying it's too expensive. I believe the argument is then back to the root of all evil - the cost.
    3) Cloud services do relieve local storage but can also increase the need: download a number of high quality games of a few GB each (hello Apple Arcade), a few TV episodes to watch on the plane (hello Apple TV+ and Netflix), some albums to listen to while offline (hello Apple Music and Spotify), combine this with a few heavy duty apps, keep in mind that iOS itself does eat up a good bit of that storage, and soon you will be very close to these 64GB.

Agreed. So buy the 256GB. I don't need all of that, so why should I pay more for storage I don't need? Which brings it back to the price issue - Not the fact that it is 64GB. A pro with 64GB is more than adequate for MOST users of the 11 Pro. I have often seen customers calling with 256GB phones because they are rich. Literally that is it. Barely using 20GB on their phones. Again I appreciate this is all just personal experience.
    At the end of the day it is just marketing and margin optimisation. Apple knows that 128GB would be fine for most people so they pick the starting point at 64GB for the 11 Pro knowing there will be very few sales, mostly to display a lower starting price point. And then they put 256GB on the second model which is what they consider to be really pro and they know most people will buy that model (ie they are skipping 128GB altogether and go staging from insufficient to pro/overkill whereby on other models they do have a 128GB step).

Perfect. That's it in a nutshell. Most Apple employees know this. But what ya gonna do? not unique to Apple.

If you go to a cinema and see the following:
    Coke SMALL €1.50
    Coke Medium €2.20
    Coke LARGE €2.40

It's a classic pricing scheme.

• Advertisement

I've had my iPhone 11 Pro Max since last Friday, and it's an absolute monster of a machine. It's gorgeous to look at but as others have said, the battery life is just silly. That Mr Who's Boss battery test on youtube pegged it at 8.5 hours of intensive heavy constant use.

Nobody uses a phone like that, so this thing basically lasts days and days. Very happy and I think I'll be keeping this phone for at least a few phone cycles to come.

How are you finding the brightness on the screen?

Advertisement