Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

flexcon wrote: »
    If you go to a cinema and see the following:
    Coke SMALL €1.50
    Coke Medium €2.20
    Coke LARGE €2.40

It's a classic pricing scheme.

Analogies like this are very subjective.

I would argue a better one would be: if I buy a BMW car the manufacturer doesn’t sell it by default with a quarter of the fuel tank capacity knowing it will make the range unworkable for most its prospective customers, and to force them to buy a more expensive model which has an appropriate tank. It might be a way to make more money in the short term but it would just alienate customers in the long term.

I won’t go into a long answer as it would probably run in circles, but again and in a nutshell: fine with this in the entry level model but this is a model called pro and which is very expensive - 64GB just makes Apple look cheap and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Bob24 wrote: »
    knowing it will make the range unworkable for most its prospective customers

Look not sure where your experience comes from but as I have covered, I worked with thousands of customer interactions over the years in there. This simply is not true. the iPhone Pro 64GB is selling great because it's the cheapest and you get all the benefits. We will have to disagree here.
    and to force them to buy a more expensive model which has an appropriate tank.

No one is being forced to do anything. Why is this often used? How can the Nissan Leaf still sell so well with the TINY range on the entry model?
    It might be a way to make more money in the short term but it would just alienate customers in the long term.

I would suggest it has made money in the long term, like 10 years they are at this trick and it's working. Selling more phones than ever before. Exactly long short and how long is your world is any one's guess, but long term alienation of customers is exactly OPPOSITE to what is happening within the Apple Ecosystem.
    fine with this in the entry level model but this is a model called pro and which is very expensive - 64GB just makes Apple look cheap and annoying.

For you as a "Pro" user maybe. Pro is a marketing term guys.

Stuck at 60Hz refresh rate
    No expandable SD storage solution
    Stuck at 1080p resolution
    ETc
    Etc

Many reasons how this "Pro" phone isn't exactly "Pro"

In Summary. I am mainly agreeing with the points but I feel they are too full of conjure that you find on Apple and Android-based forums. Just waffle basing personal opinion vs a proven formula used by many companies.

Peace bros!

PS - I still feel your bigger arguments here is that you want 256GB for the starting price of the current 64GB.
    My point being is I wouldn't need 256GB on the phone so why should I get penalized for that?

The argument is 100% that Apple are charging too much for the storage, and NOT that 64GB doesn't have a place in the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How are you finding the brightness on the screen?

Fine, doesn't seem massively brighter than my iPhone X, but I have noticed that if I don't have it on dark mode in a dark room, like when I'm watching TV in the evening, then it's startlingly bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Has anyone managed to find a shop that has the 11 Pro Max in stock? Seems like barely any of them have been available since launch day (other than pre-sales)

Fine, doesn't seem massively brighter than my iPhone X, but I have noticed that if I don't have it on dark mode in a dark room, like when I'm watching TV in the evening, then it's startlingly bright.

the peak 1200 nits brightness only kicks in when watching HDR10 content. It won't go higher than 800nits when using it daily. So it's the same brightness as X and XS

• Advertisement

I would suggest it has made money in the long term, like 10 years they are at this trick and it's working. Selling more phones than ever before. Exactly long short and how long is your world is any one's guess, but long term alienation of customers is exactly OPPOSITE to what is happening within the Apple Ecosystem.

We actually disagree on the facts here. Apple hasn’t had 10 years of multiple iPhone product lines with the top of the line being that expensive. It only started with the iPhone X 2 years ago. And even then, the X started with more base storage than the entry level models so that’s another “trick” which is new (and key to my previous posts: I made it clear doing it on the high end product line is what I believe is cheap and annoying).

Also they recently did start to alienate customers and see sales figures drop significantly in China and India - and had to react with price drops.

So can’t agree that the “trick” has been working for 10 years - the concerns I have didn’t exists 5 years ago.
    PS - I still feel your bigger arguments here is that you want 256GB for the starting price of the current 64GB.
    My point being is I wouldn't need 256GB on the phone so why should I get penalized for that?

The argument is 100% that Apple are charging too much for the storage, and NOT that 64GB doesn't have a place in the lineup.

Actually this is not my point. My view is that in the pro line the entry level should have 128 for the same price as the 64 and the rest of the line should remain the same, as indeed 64 should not have a place in the Pro lineup. I am absolutely not saying the price of the 256 model should the the same as the 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

the peak 1200 nits brightness only kicks in when watching HDR10 content. It won't go higher than 800nits when using it daily. So it's the same brightness as X and XS

Not quite it's slightly lower at a max of 725 nits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I agree that the Pro models should ship with 128GB as standard. I think the standard iPhone 11 having 64GB is fine, but the extra €350 being a better camera, screen and more storage seems like a better deal than just the two. Also, as said earlier, when the iPhone X was launched it had 64GB or storage where the iPhone 8 stuck with 32GB. 
    Hopefully next year Apple will offer 128GB as standard, it's in line with most other flagships and with them pushing the camera so much, the extra storage is needed for 4k60 videos. It's one of the biggest storage drains for me personally. The price of flash storage has dropped dramatically over the last year or two as well. However, knowing Apple they'll probably stick with 64GB for a few more years to come.

What ones are people ordering on here, i went for the 512gb.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also, as said earlier, when the iPhone X was launched it had 64GB or storage where the iPhone 8 stuck with 32GB. 

FYI iPhone 8 always stuck with 64GB as starting storage tier

• Advertisement

What ones are people ordering on here, i went for the 512gb.

I went with 64GB myself. I may go to 256GB next year, but currently not using 4K much since I don't have need for it.

Although now it's possible to do 4K at 60fps when recording the cycling - I may start doing some. up to now 24FPS or even 30FPS was too jumpy for my liking

Yes if I remember correctly it was the SE, 6S, and 7 which were still in the lineup with 32GB after the X launched.

Apple’s official line at the time (for Phil Schiller I believe) was that both the 8 and X were flagship models.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iPhone 11 Pro 64gb in Green for me.
    I've never ran out of storage so the bigger capacity would not be a requirement for me.

I use the free iCloud 5gb storage for all my data, documents, contacts etc
    I auto back up to Google Photos and Dropbox and would empty my camera roll on a weekly basis.

I have about 20gb of music, but that's slowly decreasing with the use of podcasts and spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah sorry you're right. I was thinking of the iPhone 7 which was bumped to 32GB and assumed the iPhone 8 stayed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

Is there any stock anywhere near city centre Dublin in store? Argos are a no go.

Edit - iPhone 11 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Is there any stock anywhere near city centre Dublin in store? Argos are a no go.

Edit - iPhone 11 pro.

I don't think there is free stock of any of the pros available at the moment. Apple site itself is saying 2-3 weeks for all models at the minute so highly unlikely they are available to walk in and pick up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I’ve narrowed the choice of phone down to an XR 128GB vs an 11 64GB.

More storage vs slightly faster and better camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

Edit - iPhone 11 pro.

I don't think there is free stock of any of the pros available at the moment. Apple site itself is saying 2-3 weeks for all models at the minute so highly unlikely they are available to walk in and pick up.

Harvey Norman seem to have stock from their website. No 128gb though! Edit :My bad, no such thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

So have my IPhone 11 128GB a few days now coming from an iPhone 8. First impressions are good it is noticeably quicker, battery life is better the screen being bigger is nice.

Only downside at the moment is I was so used to the 8 I could do things quickly on it such a type messages away while barely looking at the phone while trying them. So everything being in a different place on the 11 and no home button will take time to get used to.

Anyone waiting for an order off Apple? Mine is still processing with delivery from 1st Oct -8th Oct, i guess they never get pushed forward? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anyone waiting for an order off Apple? Mine is still processing with delivery from 1st Oct -8th Oct, i guess they never get pushed forward? LOL

They do, but it’s only when it ships will it actually tell you. Mine got to me a day earlier than they told me. In the past I’ve had 3 days early but that was the best it’s been. Maybe there’s more demand this year and this can’t be better than

It will only move from processing the day you get your shipping number.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CIP4 wrote: »
    So have my IPhone 11 128GB a few days now coming from an iPhone 8. First impressions are good it is noticeably quicker, battery life is better the screen being bigger is nice.

Only downside at the moment is I was so used to the 8 I could do things quickly on it such a type messages away while barely looking at the phone while trying them. So everything being in a different place on the 11 and no home button will take time to get used to.

I'm going to go the opposite direction, was thinking of getting an 11 Pro but going to get an 8 128gb instead. Use that for a year and if I still like iOS then see about getting next year's phone (if it has the rumoured redesign).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm going to go the opposite direction, was thinking of getting an 11 Pro but going to get an 8 128gb instead. Use that for a year and if I still like iOS then see about getting next year's phone (if it has the rumoured redesign).

Should be redesigned for next year as the 11 is the third year in the cycle.
    Only thing I’d say is they the iOS and how it works is a lot smoother on the newer phones than the 8.

kceire wrote: »
    Should be redesigned for next year as the 11 is the third year in the cycle.
    Only thing I’d say is they the iOS and how it works is a lot smoother on the newer phones than the 8.

Reading all the problems folks are having with iOS 13/13.1 - I'm half thinking of staying on iOS 12 (if that's what the 8 comes with these days). :D

But the 8 is just a cheaper way for me to test the iOS waters so to speak, and it's a nice size. I've totally gone off larger phones these days.

Reading all the problems folks are having with iOS 13/13.1 - I'm half thinking of staying on iOS 12 (if that's what the 8 comes with these days). :D
    But the 8 is just a cheaper way for me to test the iOS waters so to speak, and it's a nice size. I've totally gone off larger phones these days.

That's the strange thing about it. The iphone Pro is just mm bigger than an iPhone 8 yet has 5.8inch screen instead of 4.7inch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There gone way too big somethings got to give. The Nokia 2720 is a step in the right direction, what's app, Google maps etc. Pity it's a poor enough spec camera wise as it's a handy size in the pocket. https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_ie/nokia-2720-flip
    Once the foldable full screen flips start arriving it should shake up our idea of what size a phone should be.
    If Steve Jobs was around I don't think we would have ended up where we are. 3.5 inch was the perfect screen size he reckoned and I don't think he was far off the mark.

That's the strange thing about it. The iphone Pro is just mm bigger than an iPhone 8 yet has 5.8inch screen instead of 4.7inch

Yeah, the 11 Pro size was the main reason I would have went for that model of any of the new phones - the 11 and 11 Pro Max are just too big for my liking. Hopefully next years 11 Pro equivalent will have the same dimensions.
    There gone way too big somethings got to give. The Nokia 2720 is a step in the right direction, what's app, Google maps etc. Pity it's a poor enough spec camera wise as it's a handy size in the pocket. https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_ie/nokia-2720-flip
    Once the foldable full screen flips start arriving it should shake up our idea of what size a phone should be.
    If Steve Jobs was around I don't think we would have ended up where we are. 3.5 inch was the perfect screen size he reckoned and I don't think he was far off the mark.

I had the Samsung S8 before the Razer 2 and thought it was the perfect size, other than the slippy glass back it's a pretty great phone. But yeah, not sure how we ended up the giant phone sizes as they are now. It's also a pain you pretty much have to put a case on your phone these days - all that lovely design hidden away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got my 11 pro max yesterday. Only playing around with it still but happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is 11R in the title? No such phone exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is 11R in the title? No such phone exists.

Thread was started pre announce.

Advertisement