Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Landlord has died

Options
  • 27-08-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭

A couple of days ago I was informed that our very hands off landlord died a few months ago. We knew he was elderly so were expecting it at some stage.

Anyway, the person that has inherited the property has got in contact and I'm wondering how we go about verifying the details he's provided. Do we now get a new lease? Do RTB need to be informed?

We also know that the property is now likely to be sold so we will be looking for somewhere new probably quite soon, but my immediate concern is the rent and where we should be sending it. As it stands it's still going to the old landlords account, as we haven't been told anything else.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time this has happened, so would like to hear others experiences and what we need to look out for as tenants.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sort out the account asap. The deceased's account might get closed.

Also be aware Probate takes a lot of time which should be an advantage for you.

id advise you to stay where you are and keep doing what youre doing until informed otherwise.

probate is often a year long process and theres no saying the place wont be of interest to someone with tenant in situ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

id advise you to stay where you are and keep doing what youre doing until informed otherwise.

probate is often a year long multi year process and theres no saying the place wont be of interest to someone with tenant in situ

FYP

:(

Also, Tricky D is spot on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Average Probate was taking 18 months when I checked a couple of years back, but the Probate Office sped us up down to 9 months once we flagged that property needed to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A couple of days ago I was informed that our very hands off landlord died a few months ago. We knew he was elderly so were expecting it at some stage.

Anyway, the person that has inherited the property has got in contact and I'm wondering how we go about verifying the details he's provided. Do we now get a new lease? Do RTB need to be informed?

We also know that the property is now likely to be sold so we will be looking for somewhere new probably quite soon, but my immediate concern is the rent and where we should be sending it. As it stands it's still going to the old landlords account, as we haven't been told anything else.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time this has happened, so would like to hear others experiences and what we need to look out for as tenants.

Found myself in the same situation.
    Your current lease remains valid until such time that you are informed otherwise, in writing, with a declaration that the property is to be sold attached to the notice.
    This notice and declaration must be signed by the executors of the estate. Verbal means nothing.
    Until then, you keep paying rent into the original account. Like the property, the account is part of the deceased landlord's estate.
    In the meantime, start to prepare for moving unless the transfer of ownership includes you remaining on as a tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mirafiori

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The property I am in has been in probate 7 years already. I have the permission of the person inheriting to be here. Just stay put!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »
    The property I am in has been in probate 7 years already. I have the permission of the person inheriting to be here. Just stay put!

Thats fine- providing the property is not to be sold, as the OP has indicated his is. If the property is in a rural location- your liklihood of coming to an arrangement with a subsequent owner of a property are vastly higher than in an urban setting (particularly Galway, Cork or Dublin).

OP my first concern (after you have confirmed the information given to you) is to get uptodate bank account details and written instructions on how the new owner would like the rent paid. The last thing you want to do is go into arrears, because you continue to lodge money into the old landlord's account (which could be frozen at any moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Be sure that there is only one person entitled to the rent. If the property was bequeathed to a number of people the rent should be going to them in shares as per the will

Edgware wrote: »
    Be sure that there is only one person entitled to the rent. If the property was bequeathed to a number of people the rent should be going to them in shares as per the will

That’s not of any concern to the OP. You pay rent to the estate for now, until probate is complete, not to any individuals. If the account is frozen/closed, the executor of the estate will provide a single account to replace the original. All payments via EFT, no cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s not of any concern to the OP. You pay rent to the estate for now, until probate is complete, not to any individuals. If the account is frozen/closed, the executor of the estate will provide a single account to replace the original. All payments via EFT, no cash.

This is exactly what we are doing now, paying as normal unless advised otherwise.

But the hunt for a new place to live starts now, as I consider this to be notice of notice. It's a bit of a pain as we had intended to remain put for another year. Hopefully probate doesn't move that fast.

There is good info in this thread, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Similar happened us, we were informed they died and were out in 3 months.....

Advertisement