Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS To .....

Options
  • 27-08-2019 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭

Saw, in the Forum Charter, this was the place to ask :)
    Basically; I have a VHS tape here I've never been able to watch. It'd be cool if I could get it onto a DVD, or what ever, format. Something I could watch on a computer.

What's to know?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Well you'd need a video player first of course. You would then need to get a video capture card that takes the same inputs as the video player outputs. RCA would be the most common for these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For a one-off conversion, you'll need to engage with a professional conversion service.

This crowd will do it, by post or drop in to their place on Burgh Quay ... http://www.dvdcentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Stigura

:) Thanks, lads. The one off, pro' service would be the ticket.

Happily, a pub, in town, has a VHS player linked to their massive system. I've honestly never even seen what's on this tape. I got it from my eighty five year old uncle, so I've a fair idea it'll be above board and what he said it is! :D

Again though; I haven't a clue how long it is. That outfit only quotes " From €19.00 "? I'll contact them. But, I'll fall at the first hurdle, when they, quite naturally, ask how long the tape is.

No heated rush. I've had it a decade. Thought it might be of interest to others. Pub, first. Get a look at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Stigura wrote: »
    :) Thanks, lads. The one off, pro' service would be the ticket.

Happily, a pub, in town, has a VHS player linked to their massive system. I've honestly never even seen what's on this tape. I got it from my eighty five year old uncle, so I've a fair idea it'll be above board and what he said it is! :D

Again though; I haven't a clue how long it is. That outfit only quotes " From €19.00 "? I'll contact them. But, I'll fall at the first hurdle, when they, quite naturally, ask how long the tape is.

No heated rush. I've had it a decade. Thought it might be of interest to others. Pub, first. Get a look at it ;)

Oooow, hold your horses to play it in the pub, what if there is some like

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If it's just a one off even 30 quid would be worth. By the time you get a 2nd hand (pig in a bag) VHS machine, hardware and cables it would cost more than that. Then factor in your time getting to learn the software.

I see they also do VHS to digital. That might suit better for v iewing on a computer.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I see they also do VHS to digital. That might suit better for viewing on a computer.

:confused: Pray do tell! I Seriously don't even know what " Digital " means, in this respect. Seriously. Any guidance appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They put it on a memory stick . I had a look for a price list but all I saw was "From e19". I'd say they price each job individually . Send them an email detailing what you want done and they'll quote you.

If you want, you can send your own USB with the tape.

Ohhh Kayyy ... Thanks, lads.

This is getting more detailed than I'd expected. No matter. I'm chatting to a friend, on mike. Explaining it to her has thrown up that I really should run the whole thing past the targeted audience.

How would They like it presented?

Thanks, again, all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are several other providers of similar services in the area.
    Might be worth checking those also ... some examples ....

http://videocopycentre.com/
    http://copysmith.ie/vhs-to-dvd-conversions-and-transfers-dublin/
    https://vhstodvddublin.blogspot.com/2011/11/convert-video-to-dvd.html

Pray do tell! I Seriously don't even know what " Digital " means, in this respect. Seriously. Any guidance appreciated.

Regardless of what format you want to take away, they will be converting your VHS tape (which contains analog video and audio) to a digital file containing billions of ones and zeros. The only question then is whether you want it on a DVD disc (to play on DVD or Blu-Ray player) or if you want it on a (USB) memory stick which you can then plug into a PC or direct into a TV to play. It shouldn't cost much extra to get both formats, the big 'overhead' for them is that the tape may take up to three hours to play and digitize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive done lots of this. Its a nice little project.

Its really easy, see if you can borrow a VHS player from someone.

This is fairly plug and play.

Basically plug one end into the VHS, plug the other end into the PCs USB, run the software and record to digital.

The Nal; You're right. I'll have to start asking if anyone I know has a vcr and a pc.

I've since discovered, by the way, my video will be one hour. There's a copy on you tube. But, it's rough as hell! As long as my copy's preserved well enough, I'd hope to be able to get a better result to DVD.

The Nal; You're right. I'll have to start asking if anyone I know has a vcr and a pc.

I've since discovered, by the way, my video will be one hour. There's a copy on you tube. But, it's rough as hell! As long as my copy's preserved well enough, I'd hope to be able to get a better result to DVD.

Old tapes can be quite delicate and the condition is likely to be determined by where it was stored ..... temp/humidity etc.

If it holds important video then I would recommend a professional outfit who will have the gear and knowledge to get the best out of it.

If not that important then it is easy to copy/digitise it at home ...... but remember you are depending almost completely on the player and hoping it will not stretch, break or chew up the tape. ;)

Oh sheet. I hadn't considered that :( Complicates matters a little more so.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

TALK TO MY OLD MATE IN WATERFORD CITY PATRICK STREET BARRY MCCORMACK HE WILL DO IT REGARDS BRIAN

:P

That aside; Don't s'pose ye have a # / email, please?

:) Okay, peeps; Let schit get real!

I'd emailed the place on Burgh Quay (Same outfit as JohnnyBoy listed under another name) They seem legit and mention about eighteen years in the game. What ever; They also say they Repair chewed and wrecked tapes. They probably know what they're doing.

Out of fairness and transparency; I read, somewhere, that video starts deteriorating at ten years old. :| This one's dated as originally produced in 1989! I've probably had this physical copy for a decade.

But; Hey! What VHS isn't likely to be ancient by now? They're still saying they can do it.

One last thing bugging me? DVD or Digital :confused: Truth is, this funny little machine hasn't even got a D Drive in it. I couldn't look at any disc they sent me back. I'm just accustomed to DVD's.

But, Digital? I think I picked up that that means MP4? I could practically e mail you guys MP4, yeah? At least, certainly, put it on the tube and show ye the link?

Yeppers. I think this 'Digital' could be the way :cool:

Thanks, all. Let's see what transpires. I'll keep ye updated. Should be a nice little illustration.

Get a digital file (probably mp4) on a memory stick and you can play it anywhere. Most TVs these days have a USB port and can play movies. Be sure to make multiple backup copies the minute you get home. Ask for a DVD video copy as well, it shouldn't add much to the cost.

By 'digital' is meant that you get a file in whatever format you specify.
    That could be mp4 or mov or one of the many others.
    Probably best you stick to mp4 and a common audio format also .... maybe mp2 or mp3.

By DVD is meant that you can get a physical DVD with the data on it in a format that will play in a DVD player, or else or maybe in addition, an ISO file for burning to a blank DVD.

In either case you have, in a PC, the ability to rip the audio/video from the DVD to a digital file of your choice, or create a DVD for a player from the digital file.

Personally I prefer the file, but if I get a DVD I immediately generate an ISO file of that physical disc from which I can generate whatever I wish .... ripped a/v file, convert to different format, reduce size by changing format etc etc.

In the end, it does not matter if you get a physical DVD as everything can be done from a file.
    If you 'get into it' you could even run a copy of that file through some software that might try to enhance the video quality, but generally the more professional services will already have done as much of that as possible.

Good luck ;)

Advertisement