Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of EAD wait time

Options
  • 27-08-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

We're looking at a move within the next year to the West Coast, my other half is being transferred with work. It's looking like it's an L1 visa he'll be getting, which would mean that I would be entitled to work under an L2 visa, but I've seen differing reports on the wait time for the EAD to go through, especially with the current political climate. Any advice from people who have gone through it lately on how long it took them would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I have not done it myself but according to other forums I frequent EADs are taking approximately 6 months at the moment. Obviously will be variations depending on how busy the processing office is.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

My wifes took about 90 days, but I hear its taking longer now. Hers got renewed recently and it only took a couple of weeks.

She went a bit stir crazy waiting for it; she couldn't even volunteer somewhere while waiting. Take time to make a plan to keep busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

It's basically random, though the general consensus is that since Trump took office the wait time has been increasing.

When I applied for my first EAD in April 2018, it took 2 months to come. My roommate at the time applied 2 weeks before me and his arrived 2 weeks after me (as I said random!). When I applied for my second EAD in April 2019, it took 4 months to come.

In general with immigration matters I think it's best to keep your expectations low. Operate under the assumption of the worst case scenario and you won't have to deal with disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

boreder wrote: »
    She went a bit stir crazy waiting for it; she couldn't even volunteer somewhere while waiting. Take time to make a plan to keep busy.

One thing I've heard of people doing is landing with L2 and then applying for EAD before returning to home country to work until EAD arrives. You don't have to be in the US while the EAD is processing and if it does take up to 6 months, it could help with the wait. Obviously, the couple would be separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

One thing I've heard of people doing is landing with L2 and then applying for EAD before returning to home country to work until EAD arrives. You don't have to be in the US while the EAD is processing and if it does take up to 6 months, it could help with the wait. Obviously, the couple would be separated.

I guess that'd be an option, though you'd need to fly back to do the biometrics at some point too. They normally give a couple of weeks notice, but probably not practical for going to/from Ireland.

Our lawyers have always insisted we not travel internationally with a petition pending. I feel like they're usually just over-cautious with it, though. I think only particular ones are 'abandoned' when you leave the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

At the minute its taking between 5-7 months for the EAD, you can pretty much take it for granted that you are looking at 5 months minimum and then its just down to luck.

boreder wrote: »
    I guess that'd be an option, though you'd need to fly back to do the biometrics at some point too. They normally give a couple of weeks notice, but probably not practical for going to/from Ireland.

Do you need to go through biometrics for an L-2 based EAD?! I didn't for my F-1 based EADs...

Do you need to go through biometrics for an L-2 based EAD?! I didn't for my F-1 based EADs...

The laws changed in March for some of the other Visa types, they now require biometrics.

https://www.fragomen.com/insights/alerts/uscis-require-biometrics-certain-foreign-nationals-seeking-change-or-extension-nonimmigrant-status

OP you can take my comment above with 5 months for the EAD as current and accurate, I am going through the process at the moment on a different visa type.

Btw OP, you have to renew the EAD every 2 years, and every time you renew there is a chance there will be a shortish period you cannot work. This is because you can only renew up to 4 months before it expires, and it mau take longer than 4 months to come arrive.

For this reason alone, your partner would be justified in asking their company if they will sponsor you for green cards when you get here. With a green card all of these issues go away, of course. It is generally straightforward (though long and expensive) for a big company to obtain a green card for one of their workers; the determining factor is usually the company's willingness.

Axwell wrote: »
    OP you can take my comment above with 5 months for the EAD as current and accurate, I am going through the process at the moment on a different visa type.

I received an EAD last week that took 4 months. I think it can depend on your eligibility category and service center that handles it. Basically "random" is the real answer to how long it takes :D

• Advertisement

I received an EAD last week that took 4 months. I think it can depend on your eligibility category and service center that handles it. Basically "random" is the real answer to how long it takes :D

It may depend on the visa type then but for mine, all EAD's are processed in the same service center, the NBC - so location is irrelevant. The rest of the application for the Green Card etc is processed at the individual service centres though.

It may depend on the visa type then but for mine, all EAD's are processed in the same service center, the NBC - so location is irrelevant. The rest of the application for the Green Card etc is processed at the individual service centres though.

Hmmmm I think they can be processed in different service centers; for example, mine was processed in Potomac. The EAD card itself is manufactured in NBC. It turns out the wait time can depend on the service center: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ (EAD is form I-765)

Btw OP, you have to renew the EAD every 2 years, and every time you renew there is a chance there will be a shortish period you cannot work. This is because you can only renew up to 4 months before it expires, and it mau take longer than 4 months to come arrive.

Also EAD’s are generally valid for 1 year not 2 and its not 4 months before you can renew, its 180 days which is approximately 6 months. The rule of thumb is generally once you have your EAD 6 months that you apply for the renewal so you have it before the current one expires.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employment-authorization-document

Also EAD’s are generally valid for 1 year not 2 and its not 4 months before you can renew, its 180 days which is approximately 6 months. The rule of thumb is generally once you have your EAD 6 months that you apply for the renewal so you have it before the current one expires.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employment-authorization-document

Oh - nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thanks for all the advice - definitely need to keep the renewal stuff in mind. I too would be the stir-crazy type but I think initially I will just be adjusting to the new place, kid starting new school so as far as doing school runs and all that it will work out - and then it's just a few months to polish up my CV and do as many online courses as one can manage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

My husband is waiting for his EAD. Application received on the 1st of August. He's trying to keep busy, but he's bored. There's only so much to do on your own.

I'd never underestimate the need for human interaction and just mental stimulation. He's reached out to ten charities, and yet to hear a response. It's tough going.

Knowing what we know now, he'd have come over, apply and back to Dublin to wait for his approval before moving fully.

Good luck! And please keep posting your updates on this thread.

Advertisement