Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin workers forced to queue at soup kitchen due to 'crazy' rent prices

• 27-08-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭

another day, another ongoing scandal! link is below. The working poor, but deemed rich enough to pay a marginal tax rate of 50 percent over the pittance of about 35,000! Going to food banks! They'll have hundreds of millions more to throw at welfare this budget though, for this with guaranteed incomes courtesy of the working crippled! The gall of the world class welfare brigade to, to complain about the camels carrying this banana republic, absolutely financially screwed, partly because of an outrageous welfare bill is disgusting!

I prey one day, there will be a party that actually represents the tax payer!

Id say many of this crowd contributing towards the largest turnover KrispyKreme in the WORLD! out of 1300 stores, in blanchardstown, are the ones complaining they cant afford the back to school costs!

https://lovindublin.com/food/the-blanchardstown-krispy-kreme-is-the-companys-most-profitable-branch-in-the-world

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-workers-homeless-soup-kitchen-16820285

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

This is Leos gay happy Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is Leos gay happy Ireland.

a young "progressive" leader! LOL!!! hanging out his own generation and the one below it, to dry! Worse than any other career politician taoiseach we have had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Love when this guy loses the plot.

Everything is the government's fault. Even historical occurrences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hate this 'build more social housing' as the resolution. Tackle the crazy high rents, the last thing we need is more income tax being spent on this. Rent should be capped at a certain % over the cost of a mortgage. Rent up to twice the cost of a mortgage is just not sustainable, and building more free houses won't resolve that.

• Advertisement

for my sins i read it

mention of anyone paying the higher rate of tax-none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lee O’Neill, a software developer who queued for food at the weekend, said: “I’m at the soup kitchen because I need to save up money for a deposit.

Should be in the stinge thread.

I hate this 'build more social housing' as the resolution. Tackle the crazy high rents, the last thing we need is more income tax being spent on this. Rent should be capped at a certain % over the cost of a mortgage. Rent up to twice the cost of a mortgage is just not sustainable, and building more free houses won't resolve that.

owners could just pay the mortgage off over 15 years instead of 25

what rent would you put on a place with no mortgage?

dont think it works

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Bunch of misers by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hmm I'm not sure this topic belongs in After Hours where the most popular thread is the etiquette of taking a sh!te tbh OP.

#justsayin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Hardly an unbiased article is it. Most populist website there is. It makes Journal.ie readers seem well-healed haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Anyone wondering why the city centre is full of homeless it's due to these do-gooder dopes. Imagine working in a shop in O'Connell St and getting harassed weekly from some of their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There won't be hundreds of millions to throw at anything other than political pensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

vriesmays wrote: »
    Anyone wondering why the city centre is full of homeless it's due to these do-gooder dopes. Imagine working in a shop in O'Connell St and getting harassed weekly from some of their customers.

I'm a project worker in homeless services and despite residents being fed and watered in the hostels I work in , they still go out to the soup runs for a bit of grub and to see what clothes , donations are available.
    A couple readily admit to collecting clothes at these soup runs , washing and drying them and then selling them online.

These clowns running these soup runs need a kick up the hole along with that slap head Anthony Flynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to Current Affairs/IMHO please follow local guidelines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I like soup.

id always look askance at those a bit quick to take the soup...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The gubberment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"forced"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I like soup.

Poor craters. Only a bit of bacon and a few praties for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

These clowns running these soup runs need a kick up the hole along with that slap head Anthony Flynn.
    They're only doing it to shame the Government. Too dumb to do this outside the Dáil instead of the GPO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any story or a post with a Dublinlive link deserves a wide berth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They should just go on the dole then themselves, simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

Quote from the article

70% of the earnings is going on rent. That leaves them with nothing.

Couple of questions come to mind.

How does 30% equal nothing?

How do they eat for the other 6 days of the week? Are they buying their lunch from a deli?

Why are they taking food from the genuinely needy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

"forced"

At gunpoint. By the Army Ranger Wing. One poor chap who said that he wasn't really hungry was beaten up by ten Military Policemen and thrown head first into the Liffey. Didn't see it myself, but the lad who told me swears that it happens every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Allinall wrote: »
    Quote from the article

70% of the earnings is going on rent. That leaves them with nothing.

Couple of questions come to mind.

How does 30% equal nothing?

How do they eat for the other 6 days of the week? Are they buying their lunch from a deli?

Why are they taking food from the genuinely needy?

You answered your own question. It doesn't leave them with nothing. It leaves them with 30%.
    More pot stirring by this populist rag....its the last thing we need considering we're heading into a recession fairly soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder do any of them have iPhones and have gone on holidays this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What sort of fcukwit pays 70% of their income on rent?
    Theres a time to stand up for yourself, and be a man.
    Its a rigged system, and its time either break the system, or leave.
    You cant fight city hall. Theres vested interests in keeping rents high, while working stiffs finance the social welfare tenants.
    You are either at the bottom, or at the top of earners - there you can use accountants to hold on most of your income.

As a middle earner, you have a target painted on your back.

Advertisement