Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The slow demise of Aertel

• 27-08-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭

My mam was trying to look up the cinema listings on Aertel via Saorview a short while ago. When she keyed in '350' after she asked me a question to find them on the remote; they are officially gone probably for quite some time with a message appearing on the screen.

Here it is for all to see as is on Page 350.
    For technical reasons the Cinema Listings are no longer available on Aertel.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

They are available on the RTÉ website at: www.rte.ie/entertainment.

That's a shame to know that these listings are officially gone off Aertel but it's not surprising. I did use it not that long ago back in May & June of this year to look up the times for films up in Stillorgan. With people using their smartphones to get that information instantly online; it was time for it not to stay for long when it was getting ever increasing smaller numbers in using it.

The page number for the cinema listings has disappeared completely from the Entertainment home page which is 300.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

My mam was trying to look up the cinema listings on Aertel via Saorview a short while ago. When she keyed in '350' after she asked me a question to find them on the remote; they are officially gone probably for quite some time with a message appearing on the screen.

Here it is for all to see as is on Page 350.

That's a shame to know that these listings are officially gone off Aertel but it's not surprising. I did use it not that long ago back in May & June of this year to look up the times for films up in Stillorgan. With people using their smartphones to get that information instantly online; it was time for it not to stay for long when it was getting ever increasing smaller numbers in using it.

The page number for the cinema listings has disappeared completely from the Entertainment home page which is 300.

I called up Aertel in work recently, some were surprised it still existed others saying they hadn't used it in years, even 24 hour news channels are almost redundant, BBC and Sky news channels are more like Magazine programmes at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should just be switched off, massive waste of money keeping it going.
    Between 2014 and 2017, the service has cost €2.9 million to run but the national broadcaster now wants to redirect its efforts to online and mobile services.

https://www.thejournal.ie/aertel-rte-3974836-Apr2018/

That €2.9 million would keep the RTE Orchestras going for 3 months. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Advertisement