Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster and their RIP OFF Platinum tickets

Options
  • 27-08-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else noticed how ticketmaster are ripping fans off in a new way, blatantly touting and not a thing is being done about it.

I was after tickets for Volbeat in The Olympia in November, went to try and buy some a week after they went on sale, wanted Standing, but they were sold out

Face value was 45euro

I can however buy a PLATINUM standing ticket for 133euro (plus fee's), nothing extra at all with these tickets (t shirt, early entry, hand job)

Not only Volbeat, they're doing this for many shows.

How are they getting past the ticket touting legislation or has that not come into effect yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah its crazy

think there legal thing is "demand" of the show decides the price of these ticket. Similar too Airline ticket pricing

all BS and never ever buy them no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah its crazy

think there legal thing is "demand" of the show decides the price of these ticket. Similar too Airline ticket pricing

all BS and never ever buy them no matter what

No, i'm not buying either, will probably be released at face the week leading up to the gig, be called 'Production hold'

But my question is, how are they allowed to get away with it, it's blatantly touting and didn't that anti tout bill go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The majority of bigger gigs in Ireland are sold at exorbitant prices and resold by the same vendors at more exorbitant prices and a lot of the time there are issues with sound, queues, parking, people using their camera phones, people talking during gigs.
    I haven't gone to a major live gig in some time as the value simply isn't there and hasn't been for some time. Would prefer to support smaller venues and acts locally tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anybody else noticed how ticketmaster are ripping fans off in a new way, blatantly touting and not a thing is being done about it.

I was after tickets for Volbeat in The Olympia in November, went to try and buy some a week after they went on sale, wanted Standing, but they were sold out

Face value was 45euro

I can however buy a PLATINUM standing ticket for 133euro (plus fee's), nothing extra at all with these tickets (t shirt, early entry, hand job)

Not only Volbeat, they're doing this for many shows.

How are they getting past the ticket touting legislation or has that not come into effect yet?

Its 10 times worse in USA/Canada with dynamic pricing. Any sort of demand and the prices are doubled. Matter of time before Ireland follows the same path I'd imagine. They get away with the 'platnium' as they disguise it well and Mr. Rock hasn't been blasting them about it either all over social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Would guess they are way more tickets going to Platinum now instead of general sale as they don't have Seatwave fees anymore.
    As already said, never buy them as you don't get anything extra.
    If they don't sell them as Platinum, they will go on general sale some days/weeks before the gig.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Would guess they are way more tickets going to Platinum now instead of general sale as they don't have Seatwave fees anymore.
    As already said, never buy them as you don't get anything extra.
    If they don't sell them as Platinum, they will go on general sale some days/weeks before the gig.

Oh i know that, i'm hoping some will be on sale a week before gig

My point was that i thought touting was now illegal, and they're doing this, they can label it what they want but selling a ticket for 3x as much as face with NO extras is touting, pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Blame the artist for this. They would be approving and making money from this. Only greedy acts do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

scudzilla wrote: »
    But my question is, how are they allowed to get away with it, it's blatantly touting and didn't that anti tout bill go through?

The bill hasn't gone through yet ,the Govt are preoccupied with Brexit.
    It will be next year at least before it gets passed,if it gets passed.

The bill doesn't address Platinum tickets so Ticketmaster will continue to sell them.

Its all greed ,its all about TM and the artists getting more money off the public.
    They are masters of manipulation .
    Pretending events are sold out so as they can foist platinum tickets on unsuspecting fans.

Peter File wrote: »
    Blame the artist for this. They would be approving and making money from this. Only greedy acts do it.

The band in my OP was Volbeat, managed by Q-Prime. Metallica are also managed by them and last month it emerged that a member of the bands management team authorised tens of thousands of tickets for their U.S Stadium tour to be held back and sold at premium rates, supposedly $150 a ticket wasn't enough :eek::eek:

Zardoz wrote: »

The bill doesn't address Platinum tickets so Ticketmaster will continue to sell them.

Its all greed ,its all about TM and the artists getting more money off the public.
    Pretending events are sold out so as they can foist platinum tickets on unsuspecting fans.

Thats my point though, Platinum tickets are just normal tickets, they don't give you ANYTHING else a face value ticket wouldn't give

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

why would ticketmaster offer handjobs ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

s8n wrote: »

To justify paying an excessive price for a general admission ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

s8n wrote: »
    common courtesy after doing that to you

With seatwave gone they still screw people on this resale ticket thing. I think they were getting 45 odd euro in "fees" for the stevie wonder gig if someone wanted to put them back up on sale, the seller was making nothing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

rubadub wrote: »
    common courtesy after doing that to you

With seatwave gone they still screw people on this resale ticket thing. I think they were getting 45 odd euro in "fees" for the stevie wonder gig if someone wanted to put them back up on sale, the seller was making nothing on that.
    Yeah, we knew a scumbag company like TM would not fold Seatwave to be sound. They had plans to make the money back in alternative ways.

Platinum and resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, it's just another scam now that their Seatwave scam fees are gone.

I also absolutely hate their website - try to view some upcoming gigs in Ireland and all you get is a couple of pages, and then it starts showing you UK gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

This has echoes of record companies overcharging for physical music for decades. They'll be crying that they can't compete when people figure out alternative means to obtain tickets. Don't know why there isn't a ticket app competitor already.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bluefinger wrote: »
    Don't know why there isn't a ticket app competitor already.
    some venues do use alternatives to ticketmaster, the same tickets can be on sale on ticketmaster for much higher places.

I saved a fair bit not using ticketmaster buying for Whelans and the sugar club

The big venues are owned or run by the company that owns TM.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2017/02/02/live-nation-move-into-two-dublin-venues/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Zardoz wrote: »

Then contact Mr Rock & others. Make noise about it where it might get picked up (radio etc.)

https://www.thejournal.ie/lizzo-olympia-ticketmaster-tout-price-sold-out-4721649-Jul2019/

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, which helps to enforce consumer protection law, confirmed that five complaints have been received in relation to ticket sales for the gig.

Advertisement