Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Freeview getting 4k

• 27-08-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Just check out the new 4k channels on Astra 2 "with service 1,2,3 hybrid dtt"

(20h43) SES Demo is testing in DVB-S2 Clear on 11973.00MHz, pol.V SR:31000 FEC:9/10 SID:1 PID:336[MPEG-4]/337 English.

(20h43) SES Demo is testing in DVB-S2 Clear on 11973.00MHz, pol.V SR:31000 FEC:9/10 SID:2 PID:338[MPEG-4]/339 English.

(20h43) SES Demo is testing in DVB-S2 Clear on 11973.00MHz, pol.V SR:31000 FEC:9/10 SID:3 PID:340[MPEG-4]/341 English.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Freesat you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

No. Freeview is not getting 4K. There is not enough bandwidth available on terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

IBC tests according to KoS, the IBC show in Amsterdam runs from Sept 13th to 19th. Exhibitor related, SES.
    Ultra HD

We will showcase live commercial Ultra HD channels from some of our major customers. Come by our stand and immerse yourself in great content with clearer picture quality, richer colours and four times the detail of HDTV. Talk to our experts to see how we can help take your content to the next level.

https://www.ses.com/event/ibc-2019

Just tuned them in (SS 94% SQ low 40s %)
    service 1 & service 2 - hybrid DTT
    service 3 - DASH only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭lgs 4

winston_1 wrote: »
    No. Freeview is not getting 4K. There is not enough bandwidth available on terrestrial.

I was thinking that myself, but the station tag is dtt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tuned three new channels

service 1 - hybrid dtt 720 only here (1280x736)
    service 2 - hybrid dtt 720 only here (1280x736)
    service 3 - DASH only 720 only here (1280x736)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Tuned three new channels

service 1 - hybrid dtt 720 only here (1280x736)
    service 2 - hybrid dtt 720 only here (1280x736)
    service 3 - DASH only 720 only here (1280x736)

Was wondering about that res. Thought my box was mis-reporting. (late at night no specs on :o)

Was wondering about that res. Thought my box was mis-reporting. (late at night no specs on :o)

Yep, these seem to be some form of example of what they do for dtt.

The SES & Astra test 4k channels are still on the air separately.

Same here, the picture quality had me thinking it was 4K and the fact that the loop is advertising SES's UHD capability.

They must be using a very high bitrate for each channel, the mux capacity is 82.7 Mbps, can anyone check the bitrate?

My SQ is in the low 40s with good a enough SS but the FEC is very low at 9/10, so not much error correction.

The Cush wrote: »
    Same here, the picture quality had me thinking it was 4K and the fact that the loop is advertising SES's UHD capability.

They must be using a very high bitrate for each channel, the mux capacity is 82.7 Mbps, can anyone check the bitrate?

My SQ is in the low 40s with good a enough SS but the FEC is very low at 9/10, so not much error correction.

My throughput was less than 1MB IIRC ....... would need to check again as I only took passing notice that it was about 25% of the 4K data throughput from the SES 4K channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=69&lang=en&mux=11973

• Advertisement

Decent HD bitrate, and wow doesn't the 8k channel consume a huge amount of the capacity, 70-80 Mbps.

Decent HD bitrate, and wow doesn't the 8k channel consume a huge amount of the capacity, 70-80 Mbps.

Yeah, it is certainly bit hungry!

I see that these channels are progressive at 50 frames per second. I guess this is what prompted you to think it was 4K. 50p really would be appreciated for sports in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

realistically will 4k channels become mainstream?? they take up so much bandwidth

fryup wrote: »
    realistically will 4k channels become mainstream?? they take up so much bandwidth

Hotbird 13e and Astra 1 19e have embraced 4k

fryup wrote: »

The French are testing a terrestrial UHD mux in Paris at the moment with a view to switching over to DVB-T2/HEVC transmission in the next few years. Mux capacity is 34.7 Mbps, carrying three UHD HDR test channels with an average bitrate of between 9-15 Mbps

The French media regulator CSA carried out a consultation the future of DTT back in 2017 including a change to DVB-T2/HEVC for full 1080pHD and UHD services. They have a work programme to develop the necessary standards - https://www.csa.fr/content/download/246706/651929/version/24/file/CSA_AvenirTNT%20Feuille%20de%20route%20(vEN.3).pdf

The French are testing a terrestrial UHD mux in Paris at the moment with a view to switching over to DVB-T2/HEVC transmission in the next few years. Mux capacity is 34.7 Mbps, carrying three UHD HDR test channels with an average bitrate of between 9-15 Mbps

The French media regulator CSA carried out a consultation the future of DTT back in 2017 including a change to DVB-T2/HEVC for full 1080pHD and UHD services. They have a work programme to develop the necessary standards - https://www.csa.fr/content/download/246706/651929/version/24/file/CSA_A
    venirTNT%20Feuille%20de%20route%20(vEN.3).pdf

I wonder if people in Portsmouth ,Brighton and Hastings pick up the UHD tests

Advertisement