Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vladimir Putin secures alliance with Turkey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This article doesn’t mention an alliance? Then being members of NATO I’d expect that to be the actual headline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Overheal wrote: »
    This article doesn’t mention an alliance?

It is obvious.the deal will be formalized soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Nice to see that Erdogan knows that alliance with Russia is the way to go. Erdogan on his recent trip to Moscow vowed to normalize the situation in Syria's idlib province. He also had a sneak peek at more state of the art Russian military hardware that will be available for Turkey to purchace in the near future...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-27/putin-pitches-new-warplane-to-erdogan-as-u-s-turkey-ties-strain

Turkey playing both sides, and i agree though the way things are going right now, NATO, might decide to remove them from the alliance eventually? The Pentagon and White House were not happy Turkey purchased the Russian made S400 anti-aircraft missile mobile system. They told them not to and they ignored the request. The Americans had made a deal with Turkey to purchase F35 fighter aircraft, a deal now scrapped, because of this spat. Now Turkey has the option to buy Russian made SU35 military jet. If they do the Turkey military will be flying Russian made jets. Clearly Turkey is sliding more and more each day to the Russian side, but it's unclear if Nato is willing to let Turkey leave the Nato alliance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Turkey playing both sides, and i agree though the way things are going right now, NATO, might decide to remove them from the alliance eventually?

Doesn't Turkey have the second biggest military contribution to NATO?

If true, his sounds like quite the power shift, considering NATO was set up to combat the Soviet Union.
    Turkey’s contributions to NATO are ‘essential,’ NATO chief says

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Turkey obviously doesn't feel threatened by Russia, as it did by the soviet Union, and Erdoğan is repositioning his out look east rather than west.
    To be fair putins version of democracy suits him better anyway, the only thing will be, can he hold the Turkish economy together without inward investment,? (the west isn't going to invest if theres major inflation, and the currency keeps dropping, Russias not got cash or appetite to invest, Quatar is propping the currency at the moment, in exchange for security, but for how long,?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

There is no doubt the relationship between Turkey and Russia is improving after Turkey shot down one of their planes a number of months back.

The issue wasn't the plane being shot down, but the complete lack of NATO support in what happened next.
    No NATO states came out defending Turkey.
    Then there's the pouring of refugees into Turkey due to the actions of other NATO states (Which other said states provide no refugee support to Turkey for)
    But the BIG issue is that US refused to sell Turkey the Patriot missile system (despite them agreeing to sell Turkey the F-35!? :confused: )

All this means that Turkey feels it's been left out in the cold, and Russia has been very quick to step in, having sold them S400 (Much to the horror of the other NATO states)

Turkey is like that mad friend that we all tolerate. They have huge human rights and domestic issues that we are all willing to overlook because of their strategic position.

There is a great video by "knowing better" on Turkey/Ottoman Empire:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

There is no doubt the relationship between Turkey and Russia is improving after Turkey shot down one of their planes a number of months back.

The issue wasn't the plane being shot down, but the complete lack of NATO support in what happened next.
    No NATO states came out defending Turkey.
    Then there's the pouring of refugees into Turkey due to the actions of other NATO states (Which other said states provide no refugee support to Turkey for)
    But the BIG issue is that US refused to sell Turkey the Patriot missile system (despite them agreeing to sell Turkey the F-35!? :confused: )

All this means that Turkey feels it's been left out in the cold, and Russia has been very quick to step in, having sold them S400 (Much to the horror of the other NATO states)

Turkey is like that mad friend that we all tolerate. They have huge human rights and domestic issues that we are all willing to overlook because of their strategic position.

There is a great video by "knowing better" on Turkey/Ottoman Empire:

I thought Erdogan would be smarter than to purchase that dog with fleas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Most expensive weapons system ever.
    Very complicated, lots of issues.

But what's the alternative?
    F-15/F-22 America won't sell
    F-16/F-18 given they've had a lot of updates, they are still very old (70's planes)
    Eurofighter/Rafale are an option, but they are getting on a bit (90's planes). And now that Turkey uses S400, NATO allied countries would not like the Russians to be able to gather data on how effective their anti air system is against NATO planes.

There is no* other NATO or NATO allied country producing a multi-role fighter at the minute.
    Edit: JAS 39 Gripen <- Very capable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I read only yesterday though that Turkey plans to send troops to Idlib, which is currently under a Syrian/Russian offensive.

The western support for the Kurds is no doubt also a big problem for Turkey so I wouldn't be surprised if the russian friendship is a way to force NATO to drop the Kurds

Erdogan knows he could get couped and replaced by those in NATO who want a compliant anti RussianTurkey. Securing a n alliance with Russia secures Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But what's the alternative?
    F-15/
    F-16/F-18 given they've had a lot of updates, they are still very old (70's planes)
    Eurofighter/Rafale are an option, but they are getting on a bit (90's planes).

There is no* other NATO or NATO allied country producing a multi-role fighter at the minute.
    Edit: JAS 39 Gripen <- Very capable

The F15 ,16 ,18 are still some of the most capable aircraft flying today what may have stated in the 70s have mostly been replaced with newer and more advanced variants .

Russia is desperate for military sales there version of a stealth jet was anything but even the Indians walked away from that expensive non stealth very expensive project ,

The griphen E should be an amazing platform along with the next eurofigher upgrade package ,

Erdoğan is playing a dangerous game ,

Erdoğan hates Assad and the Iran ,Putin is firmly allied to Assad but not Iran ,
    Turkey is a NATO member but the organisation supports the Kurds and No supporters of Iran ,
    Putin uses NATO to cement his position as defender of the Soviet Union holding back the NATO horde (who aren't actually at his border)
    Despite what several boards posters claim .

Erdoğan could easily by removed by the Russians with a pro putin,assad ,iran candidate ,
    Erdoğan is playing a dangerous game if he burns NATO and putin decides he putting a new leader along with Russian military advisers anything could happen

Securing a n alliance with Russia secures Turkey.

Lol no

At this rate all the US and friends will have left on their team in the Middle East will be the Medieval Kingdom, it's vassals and handout dependant fort Israel. Turkey is the most potent military power in the region, the alliance with Russia is a mighty blow to Pax Americana and its ability to create chaos in the region.

5d66209c7152d82a8cbe3c5c

You have gone very quite gatling. Are you eating your jocks? Another victory for Vladimir Vladimirovich, a geopolitical mastermind, the statesman of this century.

You have gone .

Unfortunately another personal homoeroticism thread .

What's to add

At this rate all the US and friends will have left on their team in the Middle East will be the Medieval Kingdom, it's vassals and handout dependant fort Israel. Turkey is the most potent military power in the region, the alliance with Russia is a mighty blow to Pax Americana and its ability to create chaos in the region.

"A million dollars but..."

- Peace in the Middle East

- But they're all allied with Ex-KGB led Russia

Gatling wrote: »

What's to add

huh

What's to add

What's that supposed to mean Gatling?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You have gone very quite gatling. Are you eating your jocks? Another victory for Vladimir Vladimirovich, a geopolitical mastermind, the statesman of this century.
    What's that supposed to mean Gatling?

Mod: Quit the sniping at each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

When I see western people expressing triumphalist attitudes about Putin I feel like someone is kicking me in the brain. Not sniping at anyone, just describing the physical reaction I experience.

When I see western people expressing triumphalist attitudes about Putin I feel like someone is kicking me in the brain. Not sniping at anyone, just describing the physical reaction I experience.

Triumphant attitudes about American exceptionalism are far more common. I just think it's nice to see Putin rattle some cages as he goes around doing all the things that were said could never happen, like getting Turkey to shun NATO. Turkey and Russia will be announcing more joint military exercises probably before the end of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Triumphant attitudes about American exceptionalism are far more common. I just think it's nice to see Putin rattle some cages as he goes around doing all the things that were said could never happen, like getting Turkey to shun NATO. Turkey and Russia will be announcing more joint military exercises probably before the end of this year.
    Russia is aggressive to European countries as far west as the UK. The USA has a defensive alliance with many European countries specifically formed to counter Aggressive Russian expansion into Europe.

I'll leave it at that because writing this gives me that feeling of being kicked in the brain.

Russia is aggressive to European countries as far west as the UK. The USA has a defensive alliance with many European countries specifically formed to counter Aggressive Russian expansion into Europe.

What nonsense, balderdash. Responsive not aggressive. How would the US feel if an anti-US coup was staged in Canada? The "freedom and democracy" spiel wore thin years ago buddy, nobody belives that baloney anymore.

What nonsense, balderdash. Responsive not aggressive. How would the US feel if an anti-US coup was staged in Canada? The "freedom and democracy" spiel wore thin years ago buddy, nobody belives that baloney anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Overheal wrote: »
    "A million dollars but..."

- Peace in the Middle East

- But they're all allied with Ex-KGB led Russia

Ex-KGB led is some kind of American trope. W Bush was ex CIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I'll leave it at that because writing this gives me that feeling of being kicked in the brain.

The whole schripol incident is still very odd.

Russia isn’t any kind of threat to Europe. We’re told that it’s a tiny economy, smaller than Italy, nearing bankrupty and at the same time a major threat to a major military alliance.

The US has proven itself a threat to Europe though, by destabilising the region. If Assad was overthrown the refugee crisis would be overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Russia is aggressive to European countries as far west as the UK.

At least they know not to bite off more than they can chew and try to fuck with Paddy and his two-boat-navy!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

At least they know not to bite off more than they can chew and try to fuck with Paddy and his two-boat-navy!

We got a second boat ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The whole schripol incident is still very odd.

Russia isn’t any kind of threat to Europe. We’re told that it’s a tiny economy, smaller than Italy, nearing bankrupty and at the same time a major threat to a major military alliance.

The US has proven itself a threat to Europe though, by destabilising the region. If Assad was overthrown the refugee crisis would be overwhelming.

Can't we just say they are both threats?

Advertisement