Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Centre for Tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's a dirty ****hole. It's filled with drug addicts, aggressive beggars, tourists, foreigners and general scumbags. It has very poor political representation and voter turnout. Probably part of the reason the Gardai are nowhere to be seen. It also has no community feel, just a free for all. And despite all that an obscenely expensive place.

Where in Ireland do you live? I never get a response when I ask this of ranting culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That is unacceptable but they should be used to that especially if they're from Santiago. I was there many moons ago and 2 people in my hostel were held up with a gun and there were no go areas of downtown that even taxis wouldn't go into. Snowflakes!

This type of comparison always comes up when anti social aspects of Dublin are brought up. It seems that whatever happens here is OK as long as we can point to somewhere worse.

Personally, I think we should have our own higher standards and let us be the place that people quote as a clean, well run and compassionate city. Unfortunately, I don't think our elected reps have a clue or a conviction to do it.

I have been hearing about plans and drives to clean up/improve/socially develop the centre city areas for over 40 years now ... and the same derelict sites still exist on O'Connell street, we still have no public toilet facilities, we still have no regularly visible friendly garda presence on the streets, we still have tarmac patchwork footpaths and roads, we still have lax planning procedures that allows for a plethora of fast food outlets and gawdy signage,we still have ineffective drug treatment programmes and centers etc, etc, etc.

I don't live in the greater Dublin area anymore, and when I do have cause to visit the city centre, I am always disappointed by the state of it, and more recently I feel uncomfortable and unsafe about being there. I know there are worse cities on the planet and therefore I choose not to go there, but there are still reasons why I might have to go to Dublin and it is now certainly a dirtier, worse run and less safe city than it was when I was growing up in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I've a couple of Chilean students staying with me. They've been here 4 months. They've told me they've seen injecting, someone having their phone stolen (guy on a bike) and one of their classmates came in with a bruise for a box she got for speaking Spanish on a phone call. She was told to speak English.

So theyve a lovely impression of Dublin.
    They do spend way more time wandering around the city between classes so they've probably got more opportunities to see this stuff than I would. I just commute in and out to work each day.
    I feel sorry for them. I hope they realise that most of Ireland isn't like that and we are for the most part friendly people. Sadly Dublin City Centre is a depraved lawless place. They may be better mvoing elsewhere. The Chileans are very nice people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

That is unacceptable but they should be used to that especially if they're from Santiago. I was there many moons ago and 2 people in my hostel were held up with a gun and there were no go areas of downtown that even taxis wouldn't go into. Snowflakes!
    It's very possible they are from the nice areas of Chile and Santiago. They may be coming to Europe expecting to see an advanced place but then are treated to the menance and depravity of Dublin City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

whippet wrote: »
    my brother has lived in Sweden for the last decade and last summer when he was home we went out for a few drinks in the city centre.

He was blown away with how nasty the city centre was - he grew up around the city centre and went to school in the city centre and while he said that nothing much has changed with regards to the type of junkie etc wandering around it was just more noticeable from someone coming from scandinavia.

While sweden isn't immune to homelessness and drug misuse it just isn't as visible or as intimidating as Dublin. I don't live in Dublin anymore and when I do visit I notice how commonplace it is to see drug abuse and general scumbaggary on every corner.

I'm not sure how first time tourists view it but it's a city that I tend to only go to when I really have to

eh - sweden is a ridiculous kip. it has severe problems with sexual harrassment and assault - there's no freedom there - you can only buy alcohol in the off licence between 12 -6pm. after that, you're in the pub or home with nothing. they are very snooty - look down on any sort of noise/rowdiness. they have a massive drink problem and there are MANY many homeless and refugees. they have massive problems, but they seem to be able to hide all of their problems from international gaze/media.

your brother was just being a snob.

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    This type of comparison always comes up when anti social aspects of Dublin are brought up. It seems that whatever happens here is OK as long as we can point to somewhere worse.

I didn't mean it like that, I just thought they'd be used to that kind of thing, Santiago is way rougher than Dublin. I am not an apologist for the state of Dublin city centre.

It's very possible they are from the nice areas of Chile and Santiago. They may be coming to Europe expecting to see an advanced place but then are treated to the menance and depravity of Dublin City Centre.

The people from the nice parts of Santiago still go into the city centre there, I stayed there with friends from the really nice part of Santiago for 6 weeks once and we'd still have to go through some pretty dodgy parts driving at around. Whole families live at the sides of roads there.
    Anyway it's apples and oranges really but Dublin is a utopia compared to there so it's surprising they were taken aback.
    Maybe they thought European cities don't have any social problems.

Ger Roe wrote: »

Personally, I think we should have our own higher standards and let us be the place that people quote as a clean, well run and compassionate city. Unfortunately, I don't think our elected reps have a clue or a conviction to do it.

I have been hearing about plans and drives to clean up/improve/socially develop the centre city areas for over 40 years now ... and the same derelict sites still exist on O'Connell street, we still have no public toilet facilities, we still have no regularly visible friendly garda presence on the streets, we still have tarmac patchwork footpaths and roads, we still have lax planning procedures that allows for a plethora of fast food outlets and gawdy signage,we still have ineffective drug treatment programmes and centers etc, etc, etc.

I don't live in the greater Dublin area anymore, and when I do have cause to visit the city centre, I am always disappointed by the state of it, and more recently I feel uncomfortable and unsafe about being there. I know there are worse cities on the planet and therefore I choose not to go there, but there are still reasons why I might have to go to Dublin and it is now certainly a dirtier, worse run and less safe city than it was when I was growing up in it.

Why do so many people from outside Dublin (culchies) come up here, fill up the streets, culchie beggars/junkies hanging around bus aras/connolly begging for their change to "get home", visitors, all foreign etc...

it is the people not from dublin that are wrecking the place.

also - why are people so deluded into thinking that we "should be" clean, "modern" etc... we never were - it's a dump of a country, so why should our capital city be any other sort of place than the rest of this joke hell hole??

it's country people, foreign studens, tourists that are all contributing to the over-crowding and junkie problem.

it's always funny and ironic that it's culchies who give out abotu dublin the most - when most of them are from the middle of nowhere and up contributing to the mess in dublin anyway. if you hate it so much, fvck off back to the bog where you came from,.

Lol you've really got a thing against Dublin, I saw your posts about Dublin GAA. If they win on Dublin you can have a good rant about funding, splitting the county in 2, home games etc.
    What part of Ireland are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

@dont bother: Can you take your lot back home then. You did not send us your best and brightest and they are simply not up to scratch for the good people of the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Things have become more visible it's a kind of a cultural change, for example I passed a group of drug addicts youngish not quite at the point of being the living dead yet, but on the way, any way they were smoking weed about 5 or 6 of them blocking the path you could have got hight from the smoke surrounding them. This was at 2 o clock in the afternoon.

The point is no one cares anymore including themselves.

More people should be living in the city center.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Things have become more visible it's a kind of a cultural change, for example I passed a group of drug addicts youngish not quite at the point of being the living dead yet, but on the way, any way they were smoking weed about 5 or 6 of them blocking the path you could have got hight from the smoke surrounding them.

The point is no one cares anymore including themselves.

More people should be living in the city center.

In fairness young people smoke weed in city centres everywhere. I smoke weed in city centres sometimes ffs, it's hardly anti social. But I'm a bad ass.

I also saw young people say 17 ish well-dressed not of the living dead variety, in a group on the North Bull island smoking weed at about 7 o clock one evening people walking their dogs, familys out walking, and no one was taking a blind bit of notice of them.

@dont bother: Can you take your lot back home then. You did not send us your best and brightest and they are simply not up to scratch for the good people of the countryside.

the good people of the countryside?

hahaha fvck off. too blind too see that it is the sheer amount of thick ignorant hang-sangwich munchin gaa boi's up ruining the place.
    GO HOME.

i wouldnt set foot in the country - you'd be hacked up liek something out of texas chainsaw. hicks just waiting to pounce on the jackeens.

In fairness young people smoke weed in city centres everywhere. I smoke weed in city centres sometimes ffs, it's hardly anti social. But I'm a bad ass.

Go ahead if it make you happy, but the last time I looked its still illegal while being somewhat decriminlised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Was only in Riga and Tallinn. Capitals of countries Irish people probably think are **** holes and no junkie or roma gypsy in sight, no crime and brilliant tram service with plenty of pedestrian streets.
    Live in Dublin all my life and its really disappointing to see how ugly our city is compared to almost every other European capital

I also saw young people say 17 ish well-dressed not of the living dead variety, in a group on the North Bull island smoking weed at about 7 o clock one evening people walking their dogs, familys out walking, and no one was taking a blind bit of notice of them.

why should they ? it's only weed - and it's legal in most civilised places.

what's the problem there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I feel sorry for them. I hope they realise that most of Ireland isn't like that and we are for the most part friendly people. Sadly Dublin City Centre is a depraved lawless place. They may be better mvoing elsewhere. The Chileans are very nice people.

Actually they will find if you ignore the junkies Dublin is the friendliest city it the world with an endless amount of places to eat and drink in. There is a big junkie problem in Dublin and it sickens me that very little is been done about this. The city's good points still outweigh the negatives, its still safer than cities like London where I lived for a year. I never want to live outside of Dublin again

KilOit wrote: »
    Was only in Riga and Tallinn. Capitals of countries Irish people probably think are **** holes and no junkie or roma gypsy in sight, no crime and brilliant tram service with plenty of pedestrian streets.
    Live in Dublin all my life and its really disappointing to see how ugly our city is compared to almost every other European capital

I've been in both. Absolutely f*ck all going on in either of them. Mono cultural backwaters. And the sea freezes in winter ffs. Give me Dublin any day.

• Advertisement

Go ahead if it make you happy, but the last time I looked its still illegal while being somewhat decriminlised.

it's only illegal here because of thick ignorant terrified of their own shadow culchies.

why should they ? it's only weed - and it's legal in most civilised places.

I am not making any judgments of, but as I said it's still illegal in Ireland.

I believe decriminislation is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Anyway it's apples and oranges really but Dublin is a utopia compared to there so it's surprising they were taken aback.

I didn't say they were taken aback. (Although Id say the student that received the box was probably taken aback.)

The OP asked what kind of experience tourists have in Dublin. Yes compared to other dodgy cities Dublin is much better. I'd prefer a higher bar though.

it's only illegal here because of thick ignorant terrified of their own shadow culchies.

Nonsence, Drug culture is everywhere in Ireland.

While I think decriminislation is the way to go, there should be randond drug testing in work situtions shaping a culture of weekend recetional use not daily use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It seems we have become too tolerant of scum bag behaviour and drugs activity. Judges and free legal aid solicitors are responsible for a lot of the scum behaviour.
    Why do we always say some other city have bad parts as an excuse for our scumbags carry on . Could we not try and improve law and order in Dublin city centre so that tourists or natives could sit on seats on the liffey boardwalk or O Connell street not having people afraid to sit there or been harassed so much for money by drug addicts people cant enjoy or relax in the city centre .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

the good people of the countryside?

hahaha fvck off. too blind too see that it is the sheer amount of thick ignorant hang-sangwich munchin gaa boi's up ruining the place.
    GO HOME.

i wouldnt set foot in the country - you'd be hacked up liek something out of texas chainsaw. hicks just waiting to pounce on the jackeens.

An attitude I sincerely hope you keep hold of. If only the rest of Tallafornia felt the same way.

I am not making any judgments of, but as I said it's still illegal in Ireland.

I believe decriminislation is the only way to go.

then why would you add to the noise of people giving out about dublin, if it's only a few people having a smoke in the dunes on bull island? it's only making an argument for the wrong side, when if you believe in decriminalisation of it, then why would you use that as your example to slate the place?

Nonsence, Drug culture is everywhere in Ireland.

While I think decriminislation is the way to go, there should be randond drug testing in work situtions shaping a culture of weekend recetional use not daily use.

Random drug testing in every job or what? Yikes.

An attitude I sincerely hope you keep hold of. If only the rest of Tallafornia felt the same way.

hahaha tallaght is a kip, like most of the southside.
    funnily enough, it seems to be a place where a lot of culchies end up moving to BECAUSE it's southside, and they can't fathom that anywhere that side of the liffey could be rough.

i know a culchie who bought a house in drimnagh - purely because it was southside and they thought it was posh. hahahaha ignorance at it's finest.

go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Greyfox wrote: »
    Actually they will find if you ignore the junkies Dublin is the friendliest city it the world with an endless amount of places to eat and drink in. There is a big junkie problem in Dublin and it sickens me that very little is been done about this. The city's good points still outweigh the negatives, its still safer than cities like London where I lived for a year. I never want to live outside of Dublin again
    Comparing Dublin with London is ridiculous.
    Dublin is a ****hole full of junkies and dirtbags

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement