Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion

Options
  • 28-08-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Seeing companies quoting “starting at 12k” for a standard 3 bed semi.

But a few old threads I looked at here seem to say it can’t be done for less than 20 - 25k.

Is 12k with no planning and 20k is with planning etc?

Going to get a few quotes and just want to know what it is they’re offering and why it’s the price it is.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Even without planning, a lot of the cost can depend on how easy it is to bring new stairs up to the attic and what structural requirements there are in terms of supporting the roof. If you have a prefabricated truss roof for example, you'll likely need new steel beams carrying a new floor (as the bottom string of a truss generally isn't suitable for carrying floor loading), as well as new timbers supporting the roof itself because you're removing/cutting elements of the prefabricated truss.

I think "starting at 12k" is probably for conversions where minimal structural work is required. If structural work is required, you then need to add in engineer design and certification and the structural works themselves, which doesn't be long jumping the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Penn wrote: »
    Even without planning, a lot of the cost can depend on how easy it is to bring new stairs up to the attic and what structural requirements there are in terms of supporting the roof. If you have a prefabricated truss roof for example, you'll likely need new steel beams carrying a new floor (as the bottom string of a truss generally isn't suitable for carrying floor loading), as well as new timbers supporting the roof itself because you're removing/cutting elements of the prefabricated truss.

I think "starting at 12k" is probably for conversions where minimal structural work is required. If structural work is required, you then need to add in engineer design and certification and the structural works themselves, which doesn't be long jumping the price up.

Ok thanks for that. Appreciate the steer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seeing companies quoting “starting at 12k” for a standard 3 bed semi.

But a few old threads I looked at here seem to say it can’t be done for less than 20 - 25k.

Is 12k with no planning and 20k is with planning etc?

Going to get a few quotes and just want to know what it is they’re offering and why it’s the price it is.

Thanks.

Get the company out and i guarantee that the 12k price will be pie in the sky.

Structural works.
    Fire safety works.
    Finishing.

Typical attics I see are 20k finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

If you are putting in a dormer and en-suite expect that to rise significantly.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Dormer and ensuite is 30kish depending on size and location.
    Obviously Planning Permission costs are on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Definitely won’t be.

Just doing a simple attic conversion for the extra bit of space.

Don’t need any bells and whistles thankfully.

Don’t even want/need it validated as an extra room as we won’t be leaving here so that saves a bit of hassle and cost from what I’ve read too.

Definitely won’t be.

Just doing a simple attic conversion for the extra bit of space.

Don’t need any bells and whistles thankfully.

Don’t even want/need it validated as an extra room as we won’t be leaving here so that saves a bit of hassle and cost from what I’ve read too.

About 2k max which is not included in any of the quotes you've gotten so far.
    You still have planning and Building Regulations to comply with, like it or not.

In particular, the Fire Safety side of things which can kill you or a loved one in a heartbeat. You then have ventilation requirements which can kill you slowly or at least cause illness due to lack of fresh, clean air in the room.

Advertisement