Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of the year to buy

Options
  • 28-08-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

A lot can be said of the ups and downs of the market following the year to year price changes. But within this there are also opportunities. I have seen it said that November and December are a good time to buy as sellers just want to start the new year a fresh . Has anyone actually seen this in the real world, where the opportunity for a better buying price arises around this period or indeed some other event ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I have seen it said that November and December are a good time to buy as sellers just want to start the new year a fresh .

We bought at the beginning of December (sale agreed) but the sale didn't finalize until the end of March, so this statement doesn't really bare fruit.

Honestly, I don't really think there is a better time of the year to buy than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

davo2001 wrote: »
    We bought at the beginning of December (sale agreed) but the sale didn't finalize until the end of March, so this statement doesn't really bare fruit.

Honestly, I don't really think there is a better time of the year to buy than another.

yes but the decision to sell to you an agreed price was made in December. Was the negotitaiton easier or quicker than you though it would be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

yes but the decision to sell to you an agreed price was made in December. Was the negotitaiton easier or quicker than you though it would be ?

There was 4 other bidders, we outbid them all until we were the only ones left, the time of the year didn't factor into it for us anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

autumn, spring.

imagine trying to move in/out at Christmas, less chance of it bucketing down in autumn/spring too. Summer multiple people (bank employees, your solicitor, seller's solicitors, yourself, the seller etc.) can/will be on holidays to hold up the process

being realistic, the best times to move probably follow the new job move calendar. early in the year, after September moving jobs is a little risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

IMO it depends on personal situations and the type of properties. As a parent, moving to a different place mid school year would be less than ideal and I would want mini me to be settled in a new place by September, so around Easter would be a good start to negotiations, with a view to moving over the summer. In a housing estate you are likely to find a lot of families with kids in school, so to me that type of property is less likely to move over the winter months so that is where you might get your opportunities. A detached house in the middle of the country? Or an exec apartment in a city centre? I would imagine they attract the same price and audience no matter when they go for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Traditionally August would be the “better” time for a purchaser to go sale agreed. Usually more people are on holidays (so can be a little less competition) however on the flip side, houses don’t go up as much in August because equally auctioneers, solicitors and bank people tend to away in August. August is when courts close so solicitors tend to go missing. Also it’s hard for a seller to organise viewings and keep the house in order if their living there during the summer when kids are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We went sale agreed near the end of June. No chains, FTB, no problems. But we're only signing contracts tomorrow and won't know the timeline of closing until then. Annual leave of solicitors etc. has drawn it out so long. Would not recommend. But the house is the house so no point in passing it up if it's ready for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are less houses for sale in the winter, and its a bit delusional to think you are going to get a bargain just because someone wants it done by the new year.

There is the possibility that you might get a very minor amount off to get it over the line maybe.

Family like to be settled by the start of the school term so in a theory a family selling and buying are motivated to be in by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are less houses for sale in the winter, and its a bit delusional to think you are going to get a bargain just because someone wants it done by the new year.

There is the possibility that you might get a very minor amount off to get it over the line maybe.

Family like to be settled by the start of the school term so in a theory a family selling and buying are motivated to be in by September.

If its a family purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Better to buy in the winter. Less competition from other buyers and sellers are clearly motivated to sell. Most real estate agents will recommend waiting until spring to list so if they are listing in winter it suggests they are anxious to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Winter '18 was a lot better than summer '18 in my experience. Far less competition on the bidding.

All the exemptions to the central bank lending limits are often used up in the first 6-9 months of the year. So less competition.

They dont reset til Jan of the next year.

Advertisement