Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you live in a garage in a car?

Options
  • 28-08-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Random question was reading around on an American forum about people living in cars/vans. Say you purchased a detatched garage by itself, could you then live in the garage whilst technically in your car?

No I'm not high, just curious :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Random question was reading around on an American forum about people living in cars/vans. Say you purchased a detatched garage by itself, could you then live in the garage whilst technically in your car?

No I'm not high, just curious :D

No, not legally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're going to be living in your car- why bother putting it in a garage? Or if you own a garage- why not put bunks up in it or something? Just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're going to be living in your car- why bother putting it in a garage? Or if you own a garage- why not put bunks up in it or something? Just doesn't add up.

Presumably because you cannot legally live in a garage, but it does not appear to be illegal to live in a car.

Now we know that the latter is illegal. But if the council were to act against people living in cars, they'd have to accommodate them elsewhere, so theres a big chance that car dwellers are ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Presumably because you cannot legally live in a garage, but it does not appear to be illegal to live in a car.

Now we know that the latter is illegal. But if the council were to act against people living in cars, they'd have to accommodate them elsewhere, so theres a big chance that car dwellers are ignored.

If you’re living in a car in a garage, you’re still living in a garage, so still illegal, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cooking, washing, toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

That was my rationale as well. You're on your own private property, but not using the garage as a house merely the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you could afford the legal challenge to potentially find that it wasn't considered using the garage as a dwelling you could afford a dwelling basically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Wasn't there a guy on here living in a hearse for a couple of months?

He seemed to find it grand, so yeah it can be technically done but is it officially on the books as a habitable bode... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

OP, are you high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP I have at a few points in my life considered buying agri land, putting a shed on it and living in a caravan/cabin within that shed.

is it legal - absolutely not
    are you likely to get caught - depends on where you are and who the neighbours are
    can you outfit a shed with sewerage, water and power without arousing many suspicions - yeah.
    is it a long term solution to live - no.

The best piece of advice for this and all threads like it is usually "if you think of a way to house yourself cheaper than buying a house, its probably illegal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »
    Cooking, washing, toilet?

Pose the same challenges as if you are just living in a car.

Cities have homeless day centres you can use. Smaller areas likely have more local solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Washing - work or gym, clothes laundertte.
    Cooking - gas stove but would want some sort of ventilation system. Just buy every day
    Entertainment - Just charge tablet/laptop/phone in work.
    Lighting - candle/torch
    Toilet - Plank of wood on top of cement blocks outside with a large hole in the ground you can top up with soil after a number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

There are a few threads here about lads living in vans - a lot easier to equip a van with the necessities of life than a lock-up garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Would you consider living in a 24 hour gym?
    Typically a lot of free space during the night to throw down a blow up mattress but you'd have to be up early in the morning before the punters arrive.

Wouldn't suggest it long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

myshirt wrote: »
    Would you consider living in a 24 hour gym?
    Typically a lot of free space during the night to throw down a blow up mattress but you'd have to be up early in the morning before the punters arrive.

Wouldn't suggest it long term.

Not sure if been sarcastic but the gym would kick you out right away

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not live in a car on a garage....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

knockers84 wrote: »
    Not sure if been sarcastic but the gym would kick you out right away

Many of them are unmanned overnight; but you'd be noticed on the CCTV quite quickly I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

OP I have at a few points in my life considered buying agri land, putting a shed on it and living in a caravan/cabin within that shed.

"

Like yer man in snatch with his little caravan?

Thought the same myself, a mobile in a shed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at all - it's mostly the wind that makes a mobile uncomfortable, as you say, in terms of legality - its the same as being in the mobile without a shed around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tent in a garage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Murph_D wrote: »
    How about somewhere like here?

75 euro / week gets you 24 hour access, bathrooms, showers, tea/coffee/beer on tap, bike storage, camaraderie.

Part-time access to a 'hot-desk'.......?
    Not exactly what the OP is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe build/rent a double garage or empty warehouse type shell structure, then stick a fancy motorhome in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Like yer man in snatch with his little caravan?

Thought the same myself, a mobile in a shed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at all - it's mostly the wind that makes a mobile uncomfortable, as you say, in terms of legality - its the same as being in the mobile without a shed around it.

One of the biggest things that ever stopped me (as a man in my 20s) is can you imagine asking a girl in a pub
    Would you like to go back to mine
    Its out in the back arse of nowhere
    Its a caravan
    In a shed
    In a field
    That i illegally live in.

Most would hear the deliverance banjos in their head right off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

A guy I work with is actually doing that at the moment, he rented a garage close to work and pulled a van in and has been living there almost two years. He’s slowly been converting the back of the van into a bedsit style space

Advertisement