Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil needed on new bike?

Options
  • 28-08-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

HI guys,

So yesterday I got 2 new bikes for the kids. One a roadbike for my son (11) and mountain bike for my daughter (almost 10!).

I noticed that there is no lube on the chain on either bike, if I run my fingers on it there are no marks.

So...do I apply lube to chain or is this the way a bike normally comes from the factory?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

New chains are like that. A well maintained chain should stay like that (my chains don't stay clean for long!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

ye - the marks in your fingers would be the dirt and gunk that gets caught up in a used drivetrain.

As long as it sounds smooth, no squeaks or weird mechanical noises its just as it should be.

Advertisement